How is Zabit Ranked Number Two

Obviously I’m well aware of the fact that the UFC rankings are nonsensical, inconsistent and nearly useless. This is a strange one though. I was watching the post fight show from last night and they put up the FW rankings, and I noticed Zabit was ranked number two. His last two wins were decisions over Stephens and Kattar, respectively. Neither of those guys were top 5. 

It doesn’t look like anyone in the top 10 is really on a long winning streak at FW. Yair won his last two against Stephens and TKZ. TKZ has won his last two against Moicano and Frankie. The Frankie win alone is probably worth more than most of the others I mentioned. Ortega has been inactive since the Max fight. Kattar just came off a win over Stephens and is fighting Ige, who is below him in the rankings. 

I wonder if they are trying to set up Zabit vs Volk if he beats Yair? If Yair wins, he may get a shot, as he already has a win over TKZ and that would be his second win against a top 5 guy. It Zabit wins, according to the rankings, he will get a shot. But I don’t really think he should. 

If it’s neither of those guys, who should get the next title shot? 

To some extent, I think it would be a boon for the UFC as they continue to expand their presence in that area of the world.   Khabib is obviously adored in Dagestan, and they might see Zabit as being another potential star.

I've never really been sold on Rodriguez, personally.   It remains to be seen if post-Holloway Ortega will ever be a champion level contender again.  Zombie....who knows.

Most of the younger, or at least newer blood like Ige, Kattar, Allen, Emmett are either injured or still too far off in the rankings.  Frankie Edgar's name is just kind of there taking up a ranking spot (he's currently pursuing bantamweight).  Jeremy Stephens is good one fight, terrible the next.

There's some holding patterns going on in certain areas of that division, and with last night's controversy, the logjam might make it's way to the top.

Zabit might have just been in the best current position to leapfrog his way to the top.

I thought Yair vs Zabit was number one contender? 

Bend The Knee - 

It will be interesting how UFC treats Zabit/Yair and Ortega/Zombie. Depending on those results and how it was done who gets the title shot first.

And besides, I can't imagine internal UFC or external fan sentiment is very good against Volkanovski right now, after having dethroned one of the league's most beloved champions the first time and then having won last night against him in such a highly disputed rematch. 

Zabit could be somewhat of a reset button for the division, and he'd have some interesting matchups with guys like Holloway, though I don't personally believe he's ready for that level, although I do think he's getting there.  A technically superior stifling of Stephens and a win against Kattar in his last fight can't be ignored.  A good performance against Rodriguez has to at least get him into the conversation. 

How is Ortega 3 is the real question. He hasn't been active since he got pieced up by max.

Due to flashy s t y l e maybe? Or because of a Dagi=beast mindset.  

Bend The Knee -

Someone mentioned that

WaltJ -

To some extent, I think it would be a boon for the UFC as they continue to expand their presence in that area of the world.   Khabib is obviously adored in Dagestan, and they might see Zabit as being another potential star.

I've never really been sold on Rodriguez, personally.   It remains to be seen if post-Holloway Ortega will ever be a champion level contender again.  Zombie....who knows.

Most of the younger, or at least newer blood like Ige, Kattar, Allen, Emmett are either injured or still too far off in the rankings.  Frankie Edgar's name is just kind of there taking up a ranking spot (he's currently pursuing bantamweight).  Jeremy Stephens is good one fight, terrible the next.

There's some holding patterns going on in certain areas of that division, and with last night's controversy, the logjam might make it's way to the top.

Zabit might have just been in the best current position to leapfrog his way to the top.

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you said. I’m not sold on Yair completely but what he did against Jeremy and TKZ was impressive. I think TKZ probably has the best resume out of them all but before these last 2 wins he lost to Yair when he came back from a long hiatus. 

I honestly think you could let TKZ-Ortega, Zabit-Yair and Kattar-Ige play out since most of the top 10 is booked and Frankie is at 135 like you said. That really only leaves Holloway and Emmett. Perhaps Holloway can fight the winner of Zabit-Yair, let Emmett fight the winner of Kattar-Ige, and TKZ for a title shot if he wins. I would want to see Ortega rattle off a couple of wins before he fights for a belt again. Lots is options in that mix. 

MasterofMartialArts -
WaltJ -

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you said. I’m not sold on Yair completely but what he did against Jeremy and TKZ was impressive. I think TKZ probably has the best resume out of them all but before these last 2 wins he lost to Yair when he came back from a long hiatus. 

I honestly think you could let TKZ-Ortega, Zabit-Yair and Kattar-Ige play out since most of the top 10 is booked and Frankie is at 135 like you said. That really only leaves Holloway and Emmett. Perhaps Holloway can fight the winner of Zabit-Yair, let Emmett fight the winner of Kattar-Ige, and TKZ for a title shot if he wins. I would want to see Ortega rattle off a couple of wins before he fights for a belt again. Lots is options in that mix. 

Of all the guys mentioned I feel that Emmett can be the true wild card and would at least like to see him be in position to get into a position to possibly fight for the belt.   He has some holes in his game for sure, but he can also end a fight in a moment's notice.  Another very quiet guy who was a beast last time out is Allen.  Don't be surprised that with Aldo likely not fighting for awhile now and Edgar at BW, that Allen jumps up considerably from #12 and gets into the mix with the two open ranking spaces.

But still, from an entertainment standpoint, I'd like to see Emmett's next fight be one of consequence.   Ige, Allen, Kattar are all talented dudes and will get their shots eventually.  Emmett ain't gonna be in this thing for long with the way that he fights.

UFC doesnt know how match there top fighters up and what you get in the end is a bunch of guys with losses and meaningless wins at the top 5.

Joe rogan boner points.