How Jones/Glover affects DC's prospects

Jones looked incredible this fight. I was actually a bit surprised by how game Glover was. There was a time when Lyoto not losing the first round was an earth shattering event. Gus and Vitor really changed our perceptions of Jones - he's not untouchable, he's just insanely game and at least a little better than everyone he fights.

When Jones' story is written, I think people will compare this fight to the Rampage one, which I don't think is fair. Glover at least socked Jones and competed with him for two rounds.

So what does this fight tell us? Well, that Jones is amazing; that he can take a punch; that he can improvise; and that he can dirty box insanely well. We knew most of these things already.

It doesn't tell us much about how DC will do. DC is faster than Glover and he moves better. More important, a lot of this fight took place in the clinch where DC would be considered significantly better and more likely to get in on the legs than Glover. Finally, Glover got deep in on Jones at least a couple times. I think it's fair to say that DC would have a better shot at finishing there.

Anyways, we can takeaway the fact that Jones is great. All-time great. But we don't know much more about how he would deal with the Olympic wrestler with dynamite hands.

ttt

Im actually surprised Jones didnt throw Glover on his lid. He used to ragdoll everybody, but seems to have gotten away from it in his last two fights. Didnt he just fire his wrestling coach?

Also, kind of funny how Glover was one step ahead of Rampage, and went a step further in the fight with Jones in comparison to how Rampage did.

He also has incredible fight IQ. He changed the gameplan during the fight because of what he felt in the ring. I haven't seen anything from DC that says he has a good chance at beating Jones, but that's because DC hasn't fought any decent LHWs.

I think DC is all wrong for Bones.

DC has BIG KO power. Jones does not have that.

DC has OLYMPIC level Wrestling. Bones doesn't.

DC is the naturally bigger man who has grappled and beaten the worlds best. Jones isn't ready for that.

I see DC KO'ing him within a round. Jones has piss poor Boxing and punching power, whereas DC has dynamite in his hands and is insanely fast.

Tilla - I think DC is all wrong for Bones.

DC is the naturally bigger man who has grappled and beaten the worlds best. Jones isn't ready for that.

I see DC KO'ing him within a round. Jones has piss poor Boxing and punching power, whereas DC has dynamite in his hands and is insanely fast.

You know who else has big ko power? Rampage, Glover, Bader, Vitor, Shogun. They are all dead now.

Also, I see Cormier gassing easily at 205. He is probably the biggest test for him at the moment, but it's hard to say with certainty because he doesnt actually have a lot of fights at 205.

Tad Ghostal - He also has incredible fight IQ. He changed the gameplan during the fight because of what he felt in the ring. I haven't seen anything from DC that says he has a good chance at beating Jones, but that's because DC hasn't fought any decent LHWs.

I don't necessarily disagree.

My whole point is that some people are using this fight as a warning to DC. The truth is, it showed what we already knew.

wiggum - 
Tad Ghostal - He also has incredible fight IQ. He changed the gameplan during the fight because of what he felt in the ring. I haven't seen anything from DC that says he has a good chance at beating Jones, but that's because DC hasn't fought any decent LHWs.

My whole point is that some people are using this fight as a warning to DC. The truth is, it showed what we already knew.

I haven't seen the whole fight yet, only caught the second half, but I didn't realise he was that adaptable and was surprised to see him fight on the inside so much. I agree it doesn't say much about how he matches up with DC because he's a different fighter to Glover, although I do think it shows Jones is comfortable fighting anywhere which doesn't bode well for anyone.

If DC beats Hendo I'd like to see him fight again before a title shot, Jones was limping pretty badly so he might not have the quickest turnaround.

Glover's not beating either Gus or Cormier, and I doubt he'd be the favorite against Rumble Johnson if they fought next. Glover earned his title shot, but writing DC off because he was dominated by Jones is silly. Aside from his camp and Rogan, most hardcore fans knew that last night's result was inevitable. Phone Post 3.0

Non N00B - 

You know who else has big ko power? Rampage, Glover, Bader, Vitor, Shogun. They are all dead now.

Also, I see Cormier gassing easily at 205. He is probably the biggest test for him at the moment, but it's hard to say with certainty because he doesnt actually have a lot of fights at 205.

Rampage? He was done time before he met Bones.

Glover? Criminally overrated.

Bader? LOL!

Vitor? MW...

Shogun? Dude is shot to pieces.

Cormier is in his prime.

Tad Ghostal - 
wiggum - 

I haven't seen the whole fight yet, only caught the second half, but I didn't realise he was that adaptable and was surprised to see him fight on the inside so much. I agree it doesn't say much about how he matches up with DC because he's a different fighter to Glover, although I do think it shows Jones is comfortable fighting anywhere which doesn't bode well for anyone.

If DC beats Hendo I'd like to see him fight again before a title shot, Jones was limping pretty badly so he might not have the quickest turnaround.

For me, the Machida and Gus fights showed how adaptable Jones was. But, yeah, I hear you.

I think Cormier has been ready since he beat Josh Barnett. But that's just me.

Tilla - 
Non N00B - 

Rampage? He was done time before he met Bones.

Glover? Criminally overrated.

Bader? LOL!

Vitor? MW...

Shogun? Dude is shot to pieces.

Cormier is in his prime.

lol at the Vitor is a MW comment, then by that logic AJ is a 170er that beatup the ex heavyweight champ, or Koshcheck is a 170er that beatup a heavyweight that beat up the ex heavyweight champ.

PS: Vitor fought Couture, Liddel, Tito at 205......oh yea, and he fought at HEAVYWEIGHT before.

it doesn't.

People look at names and try to relate them to other fights far too much, and it's never worse than with Jones. Cormier is so much different from Glover in just about every single way, you really think that Jones will try to clinch Cormier, put him against the fence to take away his power and smother his wide punches? because that's what he did against Glover.

Not all fights exist in a vacuum, but this fight doesn't relate to the Cormier fight at all. They're so different.

FreeVNasty - it doesn't.

People look at names and try to relate them to other fights far too much, and it's never worse than with Jones. Cormier is so much different from Glover in just about every single way, you really think that Jones will try to clinch Cormier, put him against the fence to take away his power and smother his wide punches? because that's what he did against Glover.

Not all fights exist in a vacuum, but this fight doesn't relate to the Cormier fight at all. They're so different.

It only relates insofar as it tells us what we already know.

Jones is a great fighter who utilizes a variety of techniques, has a great chin, and is imminently adaptable.

If jones continues using that hand-in-face technique to keep guys at bay and measure them for strikes it's going to be hell for Cormier. He's at a huge reach disadvantage already and speed alone won't be enough to get off good shots or clinch up with jones. Phone Post 3.0

Non N00B -

Huh? He dieted down close to fighting weight last fight. I don't think he had to dehydrate at all. So why do u think he would gas? Phone Post 3.0

After last night I don't see anything DC can do to phase Jones. Dudes got a fuckin chin on him. Phone Post 3.0

komal -
Non N00B - Im actually surprised Jones didnt throw Glover on his lid. He used to ragdoll everybody, but seems to have gotten away from it in his last two fights. Didnt he just fire his wrestling coach?

Also, kind of funny how Glover was one step ahead of Rampage, and went a step further in the fight with Jones in comparison to how Rampage did.
Cause Glover isn't a MW. He is much bigger and stronger than the likes of Shogun, Machida, Vitor, Chael etc. He is one of the better grapplers he fought to Phone Post 3.0
I actually think it's because Jones probably respects Glover's grappling game more than his past opponents. Dude has done well in ADCC and stuff, he's probably the best grappler Jones has ever faced on paper. Phone Post 3.0

SNewman - 
komal -
Non N00B - Im actually surprised Jones didnt throw Glover on his lid. He used to ragdoll everybody, but seems to have gotten away from it in his last two fights. Didnt he just fire his wrestling coach?

Cause Glover isn't a MW. He is much bigger and stronger than the likes of Shogun, Machida, Vitor, Chael etc. He is one of the better grapplers he fought to Phone Post 3.0
I actually think it's because Jones probably respects Glover's grappling game more than his past opponents. Dude has done well in ADCC and stuff, he's probably the best grappler Jones has ever faced on paper. Phone Post 3.0

How well did Glover do at ADCC?

I only ask because Jones showed no fear of Shogun's grappling - and Shogun has one of the best bottom games in MMA history imo. And he showed - to his great peril - no fear Vitor's ground game. I know it was in 2001, but Vitor did place third in the absolute division of ADCC. I think he beat Ricardo Almeida to get there.

DC just beat a guy who worked at Starbucks and looked very average against a Mir who wasn't even trying. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.