How long for each belt promotion?

Sorry if this has been done before, I know BJJ is more than just belt rankings. But I was wondering how long it took you to advance to each belt ranking? Phone Post

2.5 years from white to blue

2 years to purple from blue

5 years to brown from purple

3 years to black from brown.

SlapUsilly - 2.5 years from white to blue

How many days a week did you train? Did you take any breaks? Phone Post

White to blue 6months (way too fast)

....moved to southern California when I was a blue

Blue to purple (4.5 years)

4 stripe purple now; come december it'll be my 3 year mark as a purple

No huge significant breaks, no grappling background, on average probably 4x a week training. Phone Post

white to blue 1 year(I don't think I was blue belt level at the time either, but my instructor back then was charging $150 for belt tests...)

blue to purple 3.5 years

I've been a purple for a year now.

I haven't taken any real breaks(a few injuries kept me out for a month or so at a time). When I first started I trained twice a week, slowly I've built up to training 4-6 days a week.

White to blue - 4 months.

Blue to purple - 10 months.

Had 3 years of judo and a year of "mma".

training twice a week. Phone Post

It depends on who you are training with. I did BJJ that was more focused on MMA and no gi for a long time, so I had about 4 years of time on the mat before I got serious about putting the gi on and really doing BJJ. Once I did that I would say it took me 3 months to go from white to blue. I am with Team Relson Gracie and everything I have heard is we are one of the hardest teams to earn belts from. That said if belts are your focus you will probably burn out after a few years. The belt was never my focus. Another reason it took me so long was I got cancer and couldn't do anything for about 2 years. I am blessed that Professor Steve Hordinski was a friend of mine before he ever opened a gym out here so I can train with him for free, and I do as much as I possibly can, or how much my body allows. BJJ is something that really transcends sports and really impacts your whole life. To me the belt isn't what matters, it is the journey to get there. I have met so many great people, and become great friends with people through BJJ. I am looking forward to traveling to their gyms and training with the, whenever I can. Enjoy your journey my friend and if you are even in Colorado come train with me at Team Relson Gracie.

UGCTT_Gaspare - 
SlapUsilly - 2.5 years from white to blue

How many days a week did you train? Did you take any breaks? Phone Post

average of 3x a week.
During my blue belt and early purple belt days i was training 3x a week, but double classes.

Midway through purple i picked up judo.

Bjjudo - White to blue - 4 months.

Twice a week, i thought your previous thread was talking about needing loss of mat time. Figured you were training 5-7 times per week minimum. Phone Post

*lots not loss Phone Post

Bjjudo - 

White to blue - 4 months.

scratches head

2.5 years from white to blue

4.5 years from blue to purple

Been at purple a little over 2 years

See I'm calling bullshit because regardless of your experience you need to be a blue for two years minimum before being promoted to purple....

Under a legit instructor anyway Phone Post

One-two years to blue

Two to three to purple.

Two to three to brown

Two to three to black.

Pretty simple Phone Post

FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers -

See I'm calling bullshit because regardless of your experience you need to be a blue for two years minimum before being promoted to purple....

I mean an instructor who respects the IBJJF's promotional criteria. And I'd like to think most legit instructors do Phone Post

White to Blue: 9 months (too soon)
Blue to Purple: 3 years
Purple to Brown: ?
Brown to Black: ?

white to blue - 14 months ... In retrospect I think it was too early But at the time I was stoked on getting a promo

Now a blue belt going on 3 yrs and 5 months .. Currently 4 stripes

Training about 3x a week on avg Phone Post

Tboney8669 - 

Twice a week, i thought your previous thread was talking about needing loss of mat time. Figured you were training 5-7 times per week minimum. Phone Post

should have elaborated, was only training twice a week up untill i got my purple. then it became 3 times a week for 3 hour classes. First year was only 2 days a week, at 2 hour classes.

White to Blue: 10 days
Blue to Purple: 1 year
Purple to Brown: 1 year
Brown to Black: 4 years, black from Ralph Gracie
(i did a little bit of Judo before I did bjj)

Yours truly,
Dave Camarillo

FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers - 
FC_Kicked_My_Aspergers -

I mean an instructor who respects the IBJJF's promotional criteria. And I'd like to think most legit instructors do Phone Post

I've posted vid's before of me rolling with established purple/brown/blackbelts, no need to question my legitimacy. If you're in the cali bay area you can come check out me and my gym personally.

I dont feel the need to sandbag, neither do my training partner's, or my instructor. No one really cares about medals at white/blue/purple/brown.

I really emphasize this.

If you're training full time (6 hours + a week/3+classes), and hovering at white/blue/purple for more than a year and a half at each belt, your either not taking it seriously, sandbagging, or training wrong.

(Disclaimer, as people put words in my mouth last time i said this. Obviously some people are older, get hurt, take breaks etc.)