How long out for dislocated....

shoulder. My #1 partner was doing a grappling match that he would have went on to completely dominate once it hit the ground. He shot and a much larger opponent sprawled resulting in a slightly dislocated shoulder which went back into place. I call him up and now he is saying he is done and doesnt want to train anymore. How long before he can train light technique if he comes back?

I am not sure. It popped back in on its own and has never came out in training. From what I understand Seperated means comepletely out of joing? This wasnt the case tonight.

Subluxated means a bone has moved part way out of it's normal position within the joint. Dislocated means that it came completely out of the holding of the joint. The differentation has nothing to do with whether or not it stays out of joint or not. In other words you can have a complete dislocation that returns to proper position within seconds of the dislocation. Also, it's not true that dislocations never heal 100%. That can be the case in some instances, but it is not always the case.

A dislocated shoulder means that the upper arm bone moves out of it's normal resting place inside the socket portion of the scapula. A separated shoulder meant that the ligament that holds the clavicle to the acromiun portion of the scapula has been stretched or torn. A separated shoulder and a dislocated shoulder are very different.

Healing time varies greatly depending on a host of factors. I've known people that had a shoulder disloce and they were back to full training less than two weeks later. I've also seen people that have dislocated a shoulder and were in surgery having it repaired the next day. Some people are like Mel Gibson in the Lethal Weapon movies and can pop it in and out of place at will.

Best in Health and Training, J. R.

I was pissed off when I called him to make sure he was OK and he said that he basically was done training, and he said that it was pointless etc. I hung up on him and maybe put too much pressure on him. i guess that I have the attitude that life is all about pain and how recovering and coming back stronger makes you a better person. But I realize the call is his too make when it comes to the well being of his body. Fact is this. I have went through too many training partners all who have quit out of laziness. But not this guy, he kept coming and got better and better to the point where he offered a hell of a challenge for me. I will not go out of my way to find another person. I have trained for 7 years with the last three being more serious, and perhaps this is the point where I may stop. If he is done, I very well may be done as well. Anyways thanks for the input.

This happened to my son two weeks before he went on to win the regionals in high school wrestling. He's a Purple now with no shoulder problem. So, it is not a carear ending injury if he rehabs properly. He should wait for all swelling to go away and make sure he maintains his range of motion (don't stop moving it as much as possible without pain). Then he should start light resistance exercise to build up and tighten the muscles around all sides of the shoulder. Good Luck for your friend.

By definition, a subluxation doesn't require reduction, (having the bones put back in place) while a dislocation does. (Having a "slight dislocation" is like being "a little pregnant". Either you're in, or you're out.)

Either can cause damage to the cartilage (glenoid labrum), ligaments, joint capsule and muscles that normally maintain the stability of the glenohumeral (ball and socket) joint. Some unfortunate individuals can have a compression fracture of the humeral head (ball), called a Hill's Sachs lesion. All of this damage can lead to future recurrences.

It's also possible that your friend just tweaked his shoulder and is just a bit skiddish about it.

Best thing to do is have him see an orthopaedist.