How long to adjust to altitude??

All night long we heard that most of the fighters were training in colorado for about 3 weeks.  How long does it actually take for your body to become acclimated to the change in altitude? (to the point of being able to maintain your sea level cardio)

3 years

ttt

The last WEC was held in Albuquerque, which is higher than Denver, and we did not hear all this 'altitude' talk. But it messes with you for about two weeks or so, I live in Albuquerque.

here is the deal. if you are an athelete and you want to do well you have 2 choices. 1) the effects of AMS (acute mountain sickness) don't hit til around day 3.....but at the top levels there is some loss, just not much for the first 36 hrs. if you can get in, weigh in, and fight in that time frame you are in pretty good shape to perform on the high end. -or- 2) it takes 3-5 weeks to produce the additional red blood cells needed to deal with the decreased O2 density up here (no the air is NOT thinner, but it is more spread out because of the lower pressure at these altitudes, so you need more RBCs to accomplish the same amount of O2 uptake...think about how tupperware caves in/puffs up when you drive up or down a big hill). when you factor in the abuse the body takes while getting used to this it is more like 6 weeks if you really want to do well (and you need to change your eating habits which can mentally mess with your cut), other than that it ends up "feeling" the same as a poorly executed cut or being sick coming to a fight.

hope that helps-MM

DagwoodDogwoggle - The first month I lived there I slept like a rock just because my body was tired from the decreased oxygen. I didn't feel tired during the day, but my sleep pattern said otherwise.

I also dropped 20 pounds without regular exercise in the first year I lived there.

I choose 3 months though because my first hike was at 3 weeks and it about killed me. My second was at 3 months and I was back up to speed. 3 months is also when I stopped sleeping as much.

I've only lived here in Colorado for about 4 months now and the sleeping like a rock thing is damn true lol. I was having such incredible sleep I figured it was the new bed I had.

Wasn't Colorado or a specific city in CO voted the healthiest or the least overweight city/state?

I also hate all the whining about having fights in CO.

The altitude makes the fighters gas blah blah blah. They're professional fighters, they should train to the proper fight conditions.

i think that was a major factor for lauzon

How? Lauzon said he had been going up to Pikes Peak just to get his body acclimated. He even had a little journal thing going on with MMAWeekly and he said he was in Colorado 2 weeks before the fight to get ready. Not a factor, imo.

I have agree with the 3 month theory to fully develope the right amount of red blood cells to function normal after moving here.

I have lived hear just over a year now and just got back from Florida and while I was there I drank like a sailor and had incredible gas.I ran 5 miles every morning and here I usually only do 2.When I drove it off after the second day I really couldn't believe it was 5 miles.

Red blood cells do a body good!!

GJJ2803 - 
DagwoodDogwoggle - The first month I lived there I slept like a rock just because my body was tired from the decreased oxygen. I didn't feel tired during the day, but my sleep pattern said otherwise.

I also dropped 20 pounds without regular exercise in the first year I lived there.

I choose 3 months though because my first hike was at 3 weeks and it about killed me. My second was at 3 months and I was back up to speed. 3 months is also when I stopped sleeping as much.

I've only lived here in Colorado for about 4 months now and the sleeping like a rock thing is damn true lol. I was having such incredible sleep I figured it was the new bed I had.

Wasn't Colorado or a specific city in CO voted the healthiest or the least overweight city/state?

Colorado Srings in the fittest city in the country.About 6600 ft.

deepo - Stupid idea to hold an event at that altitude, imo.

Fucking Boetsch should've killed the deaf guy.

Why do people keep saying things like this? They both had to acclimate. "The deaf guy" is not from a high altitude environment. EVERY fighter had the same opportunity to do what they needed to do that night.

I've been here for 8 years. I still blame the altitude for everything.

I lost my keys this morning. Fucking altitude!