How many miles is too much for running ?

I enjoy running long distance, it's like meditation for me, spending long amounts of time with my thoughts while pushing my body at the same time, it's great. It's a great way to stay in shape.

That being said I've read that really long distance runs are actually worse for your health. There are stories of pro runners dying of heart attacks during mid runs and such.

What do you guys think is a good middle ground, where you're not damaging your heart but running long enough to have outstanding stamina ? Phone Post 3.0

Why do you need/want outstanding stamina?
I wouldn't run anymore than 8 miles. Phone Post 3.0

45forever - Why do you need/want outstanding stamina?
I just enjoy being stronger than the rest Phone Post 3.0

Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy -
Long distance running eventually causes repetitive strain injuries.
That can take quite a while to heal up.
Stay on top of your glute strength.. Phone Post 3.0

A dude who I started running with,about 10 years ago,dropped dead of a heart attack,he put in serious mileage though. Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 -
45forever - 
Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy -
Long distance running eventually causes repetitive strain injuries.
That can take quite a while to heal up.
Stay on top of your glute strength.. Phone Post 3.0

Hamstrings as well.

Crosstraining is a must.

Most runners make the mistake of doing nothing but runnig. (a few bench dips or sit-ups don't count).

If you are going to be logging serious miles, you netter have a plan that includes crosstraining to eliminate the inevitable strength imbalances. I have not had a week that was less than 30 miles in 7 months, and I am injury free. I credit it to crosstraining and proper diet.

That's good going,what's your routine? Phone Post 3.0

Nice , I've ran 3 marathons myself. There was this famous runner who ran a marathon to work and back everyday for many years but he died of a heart attack around his 50s because he over worked his heart and damaged it over time. Phone Post 3.0

I don't do long distance much these days, I'll jog and do sprints up mountains about 2.5-3 miles, 4-6 times a week since I'm not training for anything. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah,squats,deads and core work are a runners friend. Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 -
Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy - Nice , I've ran 3 marathons myself. There was this famous runner who ran a marathon to work and back everyday for many years but he died of a heart attack around his 50s because he over worked his heart and damaged it over time. Phone Post 3.0

Damn, what was his name?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx Phone Post 3.0

if you are worried about distance, why not start sprinting out shorter runs like 3-5 milers?

or are you more worried about the heart problem?

i jog at a slow 9-10min/mile i usually do 3-8 miles, im doing a half marathon in november so ill take it up to about 10 miles the week before and then rest. but im never too concerned about my pace, as long i keep moving and dont stop im happy

I love me some running. Well, usually I do, just finished 6x800m sprints in the park, it fucking sucked lol.

My basic runs are..

6, 8 or 10k.
Hill Sprints
800m Training

I do these every week. So. It might be..

Mon: 10k
Tues: 10k
wed: hill sprints
Thurs: 6k
Fri: 6x800m
Sat: 8k
Sun:???

Every few weeks I'll smash out a 10 miler.

That's basically my cardio training. But I'm thinking of swapping in a few session in the pool, especially the early morning ones. Phone Post

Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy -
Z NEDCMK1 -
Jacare's_Thunder_Buddy - Nice , I've ran 3 marathons myself. There was this famous runner who ran a marathon to work and back everyday for many years but he died of a heart attack around his 50s because he over worked his heart and damaged it over time. Phone Post 3.0

Damn, what was his name?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx Phone Post 3.0
Wait it's not this guy, will look for it later Phone Post 3.0

Z NEDCMK1 -
45forever - Yeah,squats,deads and core work are a runners friend. Phone Post 3.0

It has helped huge.

My wife and I have been injury free while a lot of her friends from an old training group she ran with are dealing with IT band issues, and that tendonitits you get at the top of the hamstring and base of the glute. Nevermind the lower back issues from muscle imbalances in the core.

a quick floor routine after running doesn't cut it.

I had IT band problems as well,until I got on top of my strength program.
Such a fucker of an 'injury'. Phone Post 3.0

I used to run 8 miles every other day but lost way too much weight (30 lbs below my normal walking weight). I run once a week now and that works for me.

Raekwon - I used to run 8 miles every other day but lost way too much weight (30 lbs below my normal walking weight). I run once a week now and that works for me.

Wtf?

None of that really makes sense. Just eat a bit more. Phone Post

DOMINATOR5000 - 1.

Don't run, bike.

Depends what your reason for running is. Biking is just easier all round. Phone Post

I'd say about 20 yards is too far.  

Phone Post

angryinch -

I'd say about 20 yards is too far.  

. Phone Post 3.0