How many of you are in Pain?

I've always thought, "If Im hurting, then don't workout, take a few days off"

Now, I am not talking about DOMS, thats normal from a hard workout. Im talking about pain, or "my shoulders jacked up" or "my knee is hurting me"

But then you hear pro athletes talk and it seems something is always messed up/hurting/injured for them.
I know, they are paid to workout so they have to.

Just wondering for us "regular" folks...are you in constant pain from something everyday (and continue to workout)?

Plantar fasciitis in my left heel, usually some kind of low level lower back pain/mobility issues, tennis elbow on the left, right forearm strain and my newest one, IT band knee pain that showed up at the tail end of an 8 mile run the other day.

Getting old sucks BTW. ;)

I do work around these and they do get better. But yeah, if you're an athlete of any sort injuries are going to happen. The trick is shutting off that "fight or die" mentality and taking care of them so they don't get worse.

golfers elbow occasionally bothers me, but other than that no problems. i had some kneecap pain but i fixed the problem when i realized it was due to overpowered hamstrings and weak quads(i was only deadlifting and not really doing any other lower body exercise aside from running...focused on doing more quad dominant exercises and the pain is gone completely).

I had somewhat of a knee problem due to this medial rotation because of a flat arch in my right foot. fixed it with some hamstring work.

also, some lordosis as most people do but am working on improving it mainly with some supplementation work and swiss ball stability work.  when it bothers me after lifting or doing l-sit pull ups and ring work (dips, etc) I usually have my chiropractor fix whatever else bothers me as well. 

Hernia repair on left side, right side now feeling a little funny. Lower back tweaked after deadlifts, a 2 on the pain scale. Something torn in left shoulder, had mri with contrast..nothing found. Right shoulder has weird tightness to it. Left knee injured in judo years ago, still slightly gimpy. None of this alone is bad, but all together it gets annoying. I know I'm going to have to tone down the intensity on my lifting as I get older which sucks. I hate bodybuilding isolation style workouts.

From years of playing rough I have some pain some where everyday. I am 38 now and just consider it a cost of playing hard and enjoying life.

hmmmm, so I guess its normal (at least for folks in our age group - late 30s, who workout hard-ish) to be in "pain" ?

I always thought, that people who workout and keep in shape are always feeling good. (other than DOMS)

but I guess its like, pro-wrestlers...they look in great shape, but when you see them behind the scenes, they are all limping, with messed up backs, etc...

I am also relatively pain free. If I have an injury, I rest it and do what I can to speed the recovery process. I have not actually been injured in a long time.

As for DOMS, If I am feeling it, I don't train. I feel if DOMS is present, than I am still recovering from the previous session.

I think most pro athletes are over trained and or over played. They are almost always beat up.

TAKU

26 and beat to shit...Fantastic shape..but already had hip osteotomy and bone chips removed from knee..just got hip surgery and running races again (against docs orders) but Im hoping technology keeps up with hip resurfacing... hip is already barking post op but i love running too much Phone Post

My main pain is from internal scarring from an ACL replacement. As long as I don't do LSD running or such, I do fine.

I'm a professional soldier in a high level unit. Almost everyone on the team is injured all the time. Phone Post

Pretty much injury and pain free here. Broke my knee cap and had some ligament damage (Jr Hockey) that I never followed up and had surgery on. Kind of funny, I tweak it occasionally walking up the stairs at the office, but then after work I can do a M/E squat session and have zero pain or discomfort.

LiftStrong,

I also broke my knee-cap. Snaped it in half while playing indoor soccer in college. Chose not to have surgery, instead it was casted with a total time imobile of 4.5 months. Brutal rehab. Took about two years to get full strength back. Currently if gives me no trouble at all.

Just one of a long list of injuires I have had in my career.

TAKU

I am living with a torn meniscus in my right knee. It is pretty much a constant dull ache. When I do train I have to pay close attention to my pain level and adjust my intensity accordingly .
The DOMS is also another problem that has been acting up as I get older . I have found ice baths and ibuprofen to be a big part of my routine.

I will have surgery on my knee either late this year or early next then hopefully I will be back to just normal muscle soreness .

Torn mcl in right knee.
Incisional Hernia in abdominal wall.
fractured hand/ribs/C6

Something is always nagging me..i just warm up and get on with it!

Taku -  LiftStrong,

I also broke my knee-cap. Snaped it in half while playing indoor soccer in college. Chose not to have surgery, instead it was casted with a total time imobile of 4.5 months. Brutal rehab. Took about two years to get full strength back. Currently if gives me no trouble at all.

Just one of a long list of injuires I have had in my career.

TAKU

Damn. Mine didnt completely snap, just broke half way. For as bad as mine was, breaking it in half must have been brutal. Glad to hear you were smart and actually went through proper rehab protocol!

I dunno, I don't think Guiness and Kilkenny pints is considered a proper rehab protocol.

"Glad to hear you were smart and actually went through proper rehab protocol!"

Can't say I was smart. It was the 1980's and I was a poor college kid. had no professional rehab of any kind. Just sort of did what came naturally. It did not move at all when the cast came off. I just worked at it daily to break it down and regain full ROM. Then...started getting stronger. It was amazingly painfull while regaining full ROM.   

TAKU

Which is where the Guiness came in. BRILLIANT!

big slacker: See an ART chiropractor with all 5 certifications, thank me later. All of those are VERY treatable by experienced ART guys, you'll notice results immediately on your first visit.

(I know I sound like I'm selling something, the way I recommend ART, but that stuff is amazing, what it's done for me and others. I have zero affiliation to ART.

There's a reason every pro sports team, olympic team, and mos pro athletes have an ART guy).

They even have an ART guy on hand to treat guys on the TUF show.

www.activerelease.com