How many of you have learned Portuguese?

question is, has anyone found a consistent high quality acai outside of rio? im assuming in manaus probably? places outside of rio are hit and miss IME.. but most often not the same formulation as the good rio copa stuff Phone Post 3.0

Desculpa/ eu nao fala muito ben. :( Phone Post 3.0

No seriously, i butcher a few phrases and thats it!

/goes back into lab Phone Post 3.0

I started to with Rosetta Stone and it worked pretty well for a while. But then I realized I already spoke the language on the mat and I had no more need for it. When my coach says isso or boa to me I'll just keep doing that again. Phone Post 3.0

I tried to get into on DuoLingo and did well at first, but switched to Spanish because it was a bit more applicable and will transfer over once I'm better at it.

A friend / old training partner and his 8 or 9 year old son are learning Portuguese via Rosetta Stone. He home schools his son and that's part of the curriculum he put in place. Not really familiar with RS, but they're at a level 2 and he told me they have a pretty good grasp on the language.

Josh Mancuso - 
Tio Te - 
EvilGumby - I never understood the need that some people have to be as Brazilian as possible just because they do jiujitsu. Learning Portuguese always seemed to be the next step in deciding you suddenly love Acai, and have taken the calling it "the gward" as far as you can.

For time invested vs. life return, learning Spanish seems like a far better payoff personally. But hey, whatever language you enjoy learning should be the one you pursue. Just don't get it when people try to tie it into their jiujitsu as a "jiujitsu thing".

You don't understand why I person who traveled to a foreign country, enjoyed his experience, and wants to return would like to learn the language of that country to enhance his experience on his next trip?

Also, acai is delicious.

This.

I loved my visit to Rio and plan on returning once a year, but also because Brazilian culture has become a somewhat large portion of my life. I have the need to speak portuguese much more often than spanish. Also learning a new language has given me insight to other cultures, and showed me how important it is to be pateint with foreigners. 

Acia is fucking delish. Go to Rio and tell me you don't eat that shit 2 times a day.

I guess it's that whole Brazo-phile element of BJJ that I don't understand. It's pervasive across martial arts with white dudes in TKD so badly wanting to be Korean, some judo guys desperately wish they were Japanese samurai, etc.

Jiujitsu guys getting obsessed with Brazilian culture seems to be the BJJ version of the same thing. As BJJ heads more towards the TMAer route with more OSS, more lining up and bowing, and further from the casual atmosphere grappling club vibe that use to be more prevalent in the "old days", the Brazo-phile thing seems to also be picking up with American's thinking a yearly pilgrimage to the Holy Land (Brazil) is in order despite the fact that Brazil's elite all comes to America.

Obviously not going to be a popular opinion in the Atama forum but turning a love of BJJ and grappling into a Brazo-phile cultural fetish is just odd to me. Same as the white dude KungFu master with the uber-long stache, ponytail hair, and scrolls on his wall is.

Just an observation of the growing parallel with whatever the fad martial art of the decade is.

EvilGumby - 
Josh Mancuso - 
Tio Te - 
EvilGumby - I never understood the need that some people have to be as Brazilian as possible just because they do jiujitsu. Learning Portuguese always seemed to be the next step in deciding you suddenly love Acai, and have taken the calling it "the gward" as far as you can.

For time invested vs. life return, learning Spanish seems like a far better payoff personally. But hey, whatever language you enjoy learning should be the one you pursue. Just don't get it when people try to tie it into their jiujitsu as a "jiujitsu thing".

You don't understand why I person who traveled to a foreign country, enjoyed his experience, and wants to return would like to learn the language of that country to enhance his experience on his next trip?

Also, acai is delicious.

This.

I loved my visit to Rio and plan on returning once a year, but also because Brazilian culture has become a somewhat large portion of my life. I have the need to speak portuguese much more often than spanish. Also learning a new language has given me insight to other cultures, and showed me how important it is to be pateint with foreigners. 

Acia is fucking delish. Go to Rio and tell me you don't eat that shit 2 times a day.

I guess it's that whole Brazo-phile element of BJJ that I don't understand. It's pervasive across martial arts with white dudes in TKD so badly wanting to be Korean, some judo guys desperately wish they were Japanese samurai, etc.

Jiujitsu guys getting obsessed with Brazilian culture seems to be the BJJ version of the same thing. As BJJ heads more towards the TMAer route with more OSS, more lining up and bowing, and further from the casual atmosphere grappling club vibe that use to be more prevalent in the "old days", the Brazo-phile thing seems to also be picking up with American's thinking a yearly pilgrimage to the Holy Land (Brazil) is in order despite the fact that Brazil's elite all comes to America.

Obviously not going to be a popular opinion in the Atama forum but turning a love of BJJ and grappling into a Brazo-phile cultural fetish is just odd to me. Same as the white dude KungFu master with the uber-long stache, ponytail hair, and scrolls on his wall is.

Just an observation of the growing parallel with whatever the fad martial art of the decade is.

To some extent that's true. People are establishing a connection to the culture.

Then they learn about the history of the art (which includes some cultural history as well). In bjj you make a lot of Brazilian friends. 

Some then decide that it would be interesting to make a trip there.... If you enjoy the trip, develop some deeper friendships, learn a bit of the culture at the local level, etc.

Also, many people would like to learn a second language and choose that language based upon their personal and cultural ties not future income potential (which would probably be Mandarin by a mile over Spanish)

EvilGumby - 
Josh Mancuso - 
Tio Te - 

Also, acai is delicious.

This.

This post makes me think of AJ Agazarm. I don't know him personally, but I'm assuming he was born and raised in Florida and went to college at Ohio State. When I listen to his interviews, I hear a quasi Brazilian accent?

MarsMan - As a Brazilian, I am curious about what you guys mean by "Brazilian Culture".

I know soccer and female tail ends are pretty much a given, but I find that that are so many different cultures inside the country that I wonder what you guys are talking about.

You could say the same thing about almost any country. I have only been to Rio and Brasilia, but I have met friends from Amazonas, Sao Paulo, the interior of Sao Paulo state, Rio Grande do Sul, Fortaleza, and various other parts of Brazil. They are all pretty different from American culture and there were cool things I liked about all of them.

Hywel Teague -
andre - I learned it through my wife and friends. Never took classes, but I wish I would have. Phone Post 3.0

^^^ Same.

Vocabulary is just something you need to pick up day to day. It's just memorisation, same as the genders of words.

I pretty much learned everything by osmosis – I hear people say stuff, I repeat it when the context is right. This way I speak native phrases rather than simply combinations of words - when you put words together with an English framework, it doesn't work when you say that combo in Portuguese.

My wife speaks fluent English so at home we only speak that. However she helped me study how to conjugate verbs, which IMO opened up everything. But I still struggle with irregular verbs because they're a giant pain in the ass.

The most difficult thing for me was speaking on the phone. Took me a while before I had the confidence to have a conversation without the aid of visual clues.
Exactly this for me, as well. Phone Post 3.0

I did. Used Pimsleur CDs

My main motivation was to communicate with brazilian girls

The majority of brazilian girls I met in Rio did not speak ANY english.

My efforts at learning were paid back a hundred fold. The most beautiful women I met spoke zero englit and I was able to communicate with them - instead of sitting acorss from them and just smiling helplessly

Hywel Teague - 
Josh Mancuso - Oh and I went ape shit with a label maker and labeled everything in my house in Portuguese. Sim, meu esposa amo que. Phone Post 3.0

* minha esposa adorou *

the gender of your wife changes the possessive pronoun from masculine (meu) to feminine (minha). Unless you're in one of those modern marriages – hey not judging! ;)

Ha! Thanks for the correction! 

I will try the english movies with pourtuguese subtitles

For me the hardest part was training my ear. I could read, write, and speak fairly well and still had a hard time understanding, especially if the person wasn't speaking directly to me. What helped me the most was finding music I liked, looking up the lyrics online, and listening until it was easy for me to understand.

EvilGumby - 
Josh Mancuso - 
Tio Te - 

<br />
        <p>
            <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703"><span class="User-235639" id="userPost50467183">You don't understand why I person who traveled to a foreign country, enjoyed his experience, and wants to return would like to learn the language of that country to enhance his experience on his next trip?</span></span></span></p>
        <p>
            <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703"><span class="User-235639" id="userPost50467183">&nbsp;</span></span></span></p>
        <p>
            <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703"><span class="User-235639" id="userPost50467183">Also, acai is delicious.</span></span></span></p>
    </blockquote>
    <br />
    <p>
        <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703">This.</span></span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703">&nbsp;I loved my visit to Rio and plan on returning once a year, but also because Brazilian culture has become a somewhat large portion of my life. I have the need to speak portuguese much more often than spanish. Also learning a new language has given me insight to other cultures, and showed me how important it is to be pateint with foreigners.&nbsp;</span></span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703">&nbsp;</span></span></p>
    <p>
        <span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758"><span class="User-263192" id="userPost50467703">Acia is fucking delish. Go to Rio and tell me you don't eat that shit 2 times a day.</span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<br />
<span class="User-276894" id="userPost50479758">I guess it's that whole Brazo-phile element of BJJ that I don't understand. It's pervasive across martial arts with white dudes in TKD so badly wanting to be Korean, some judo guys desperately wish they were Japanese samurai, etc.<br />
<br />
Jiujitsu guys getting obsessed with Brazilian culture seems to be the BJJ version of the same thing. As BJJ heads more towards the TMAer route with more OSS, more lining up and bowing, and further from the casual atmosphere grappling club vibe that use to be more prevalent in the &quot;old days&quot;, the Brazo-phile thing seems to also be picking up with American's thinking a yearly pilgrimage to the Holy Land (Brazil) is in order despite the fact that Brazil's elite all comes to America.<br />
<br />
Obviously not going to be a popular opinion in the Atama forum but turning a love of BJJ and grappling into a Brazo-phile cultural fetish is just odd to me. Same as the white dude KungFu master with the uber-long stache, ponytail hair, and scrolls on his wall is.<br />
<br />
Just an observation of the growing parallel with whatever the fad martial art of the decade is.</span></blockquote>

I would recommend taking one of these pilgrimages to Rio. You may change your outlook when visiting such an amazing place. I think if more people visited and trained in brazil, BJJ would go away from the TMA route. Down there it is all about the casual atmosphere, its the american BJJ schools that are going the route of TMA's with belt testing, and all that nonsense. 

Laid back atmosphere, the most beautiful women on the planet, wonderful food, beaches surrounded by mountains, I could go on all day about why the brazilian culture is exciting not perfect but different and exciting. As apposed to the daily american culture which has become extremely boring to myself and many others as well.

Tio Te - 

For me the hardest part was training my ear. I could read, write, and speak fairly well and still had a hard time understanding, especially if the person wasn't speaking directly to me. What helped me the most was finding music I liked, looking up the lyrics online, and listening until it was easy for me to understand.

I'm the opposite. I can understand a lot more than I can speak. Maybe it's just shyness

I remember there were times tha I could be hearing a conversation and understand 100% of it and then think to myself "holy sht! I can understand what they are saying!" and then instantly not understand anything else...

I strongly suggest using a program called Semantica. I learned so much!! When I started it they only had a basic course but have now added several advanced courses since then. The basic course is like mini movie. It's split up into episodes. It's about an American guy who is trving to Brazil for business. He has a guide there to help him with everything. She helps him am teaches him Portuguese. At the end of the episodes they break everything down. The second course is super advanced and a bit different. It's great though.

The picture of that lady above says it all.i went to the motherland this year and couldn't keep my eye balls inside of my head. They are everywhere. The women vary from the north to the south but still gorgeous.

Now, can we talk about açai some more? Phone Post 3.0

JiuJitsuGuard - I strongly suggest using a program called Semantica. I learned so much!! When I started it they only had a basic course but have now added several advanced courses since then. The basic course is like mini movie. It's split up into episodes. It's about an American guy who is trving to Brazil for business. He has a guide there to help him with everything. She helps him am teaches him Portuguese. At the end of the episodes they break everything down. The second course is super advanced and a bit different. It's great though.

Holy shit! This site looks amazing! I am signing up now. Obrigado meu amigo!