How many Thai Boxers die per year?

After seeing that kid die in Milwaukee, and the video of being getting rolled out of the ring, it reminded me of Thai fights. Especially the back country fights that they put of against neighboring countries.

I have some questions.

Do you think that fight would have been stopped in most US promotions?

Would that fight be stopped in Thailand?

How many Thai boxers get beat up worse then that, rolled out of the ring, and receive little to no proper medical attention, resulting in their death??

I know little about the situation, but from the way you describe it, it seems like accurate statistics would be very difficult to come by.

I have to assume that a couple thais die every year. Right?? the fights there are more violent and fighters are expected to fight until they collapse.

I actually don't think it's that high, no proof just my initial thought. I doubt anyone could get an exact stat though, because outside of Lumpini and Radjadamoan there probably is no record keeping whatsoever.    What I also find interesting is that despite having free reign on elbows I hardly see as many bloody cuts and gashes as you think there'd be.

In for rampant speculation supported by little to no evidence

Im just saying that , although its so sad that kid died, and for sure somebody should have stopped that fight.....actually, several people should have stopped it in the 3rd round.....combat sports are dangerous, and now and then , freak deaths are going to occur.

Especially on lower level shows and so on.

so many more people are getting into combat sports, including people who werent built for this. so its bound to happen. it sucks that the media will make our sports look barbaric and overly violent

it reminds me of the NFL/concussion nonsense. These guys choose to play a sport all their life, but then sue someone else for the consequences . Its crazy to me

Again, I think its terrible that kid died, several people had a chance to stop it. But its inevitable that there are gonna be injuries and deaths from time to time

I don't think any. I live in Thailand and I've never seen a news report ever that reported a death in the ring. Perhaps the World Muaythai Council does a good job covering up, but I don't think a Muay Thai camp would exist very long if their fighters were pushed passed their limits and died.

Usually the fights against neighboring countries (Thai vs Laos, Burma) or Thai vs Farang fights are all sanctioned. If it's a televised event, it is most definitely sanctioned. It would look bad on the national sport if deaths were common.

If you are talking non-sanctioned Muay Thai fights in some temple event, that's like a tough man contest at a fair ground and anything can happen.

ocbadapple - Im just saying that , although its so sad that kid died, and for sure somebody should have stopped that fight.....actually, several people should have stopped it in the 3rd round.....combat sports are dangerous, and now and then , freak deaths are going to occur.

Especially on lower level shows and so on.

so many more people are getting into combat sports, including people who werent built for this. so its bound to happen. it sucks that the media will make our sports look barbaric and overly violent

it reminds me of the NFL/concussion nonsense. These guys choose to play a sport all their life, but then sue someone else for the consequences . Its crazy to me

Again, I think its terrible that kid died, several people had a chance to stop it. But its inevitable that there are gonna be injuries and deaths from time to time

RESPONSIBILITY MEANS TAKING CARE OF THE INNOCENT.  CHILDREN LOOK UP TO THEIR HERO @ocbadapple

I CHALLENGE YOU

Flyer looks very comic book.  Luke, did you make that one yerself?

PTM2020 - 

Flyer looks very comic book.  Luke, did you make that one yerself?

CAN U TELL LOL

cmon bro, youre not arguing that the US should have the same safety standards as third world asian countries

Having fought in Thailand, most shows don't have doctors. Most take place outside at some festival/town fair. When I fought at MBK (the mall fights), no doctor checkup, didn't even sign a waiver.

Of the handful I've visited / fought in, nothing bad has happened to any of the fighters (that I'm aware of). They also don't cut weight, which tends to be reserved for stadium-level fighters. Its just a basic honor system, which can sometimes get you fucked fighting bigger people of course.

I'm no doctor but I'm guessing water weight cutting has a lot to with death in the ring.

gokudamus - cmon bro, youre not arguing that the US should have the same safety standards as third world asian countries

huh?

not enough IMO

Lucas Maximus - 

heheh, nice

The Thais also spar sensibly. Phone Post 3.0