How many times have you been put to sleep?

Twice. One of which was by a 6’3" woman who worked as a dominatrix, back when I was a fresh blue belt. True story.

Tomato Can - Twice. One of which was by a 6'3" woman who worked as a dominatrix, back when I was a fresh blue belt. True story.

I saw carcaju and sister Steele standing next to each other and holding hands in Vegas and I don't think she's that tall bro

Oust jnce, so saven't huffered much dain brammage.

things to see people to do - 
Tomato Can - Twice. One of which was by a 6'3" woman who worked as a dominatrix, back when I was a fresh blue belt. True story.

I saw carcaju and sister Steele standing next to each other and holding hands in Vegas and I don't think she's that tall bro

Ha! It wasn’t her. This lady was a bit more “femme”.

What’s funny is the only reason I knew she worked as a dominatrix is because I was at my buddy’s house one day, and he was browsing a “tall personals” website (because he’s also tall and is into tall women) and saw her, and her profile said she’s a dominatrix. I don’t think she made it common knowledge at the gym.

None, but have have narrowly escaped so many times. Some in class, a few in comp.

But the most pleasant/scary/other-worldly close call I had was being the demonstration dummy at a Dustin Denes seminar and he was showing a triangle choke setup…

I was trying to let him finish his explanation, and all the lights in the room changed and I got this warm, euphoric rush in my head and thought “I’ll just adjust my posture a little” and then realized I couldn’t feel my knees and tapped and said “sorry, man, I was about to go out” lol

He just laughed and said “don’t worry, lots of purple and above are always too proud to tap and many of them just pass out and drool before they know what’s going on lol”

5-8 times.  We did a lot of competition training and also had a lot of fighters gearing up for competition.

joint locks we’d tap to easier. 

Chokes were a battle.  Fight it like crazy!

if you trust your teammates and instructor, you’re fine.  

This was all in the competetive blue/purple days.

Hasn’t happened yet, but I’ve been pretty close quite a few times. I think I’ve put a few people out though.

Never. Have come close a couple of times, once probably only a split second away from going out.

Never.

Accidentally put out a couple guys.

Intentionally put out one guy.

In 13 years of training I have never been put to sleep and I have never put someone to sleep.

I’ve almost gone out about a half dozen times.

Twice early in my training.

One triangle and one von flue.  Neither was me being stubborn, just ignorant.

Side note: I put my buddy out on Monday with a N/S choke.  

When we were sitting around bullshitting after practice I kept throwing out, “shut up Chad or I’ll choke you out.... again.”, haha!

good guy.

twice.  once when it was kind of a drill, and I kept sweeping the guy and he got pissoff i guess.  i tapped lightly, and then the whole class was looking at me.  was weird.

second time i heard the guy say 'safe travels' before i went to the netherworld.

In training, quite a few times actually. I compete a lot and train with a lot of other competitors.  I’ll tap super early to joint locks but am willing to push the envelope more and look for ways to survive when caught in a choke. There are times during competition matches where those skills and mental toughness have saved my ass.  All that being said, I will only train like that with someone I know very well and trust a lot to look after my safety.  As far as competitions go.....twice.  Once via baseball bat choke at blue belt and the 2nd time via loop choke as a purple belt. 

Twice bad, countless times only a little bit.

1. Was rolling with a roosterweight that took a collar choke from guard. Brushed it off and felt nothing. Stood to pass and didn’t even bother breaking his puny grips. Woke up on my back with Michelle Nicolini standing over me cracking up.

2. Rolling with one of our female black belts with a nasty clock choke. Did not respect said clock choke. Woke up on my back with her laughing at me.

My main training partner is a killer with a loop choke. Those things come on quick. Especially when you are pressure passing. It’s put me down a few times.

Twice- once rolling with another Blue belt. both Blue at the time. Collar choke.

2nd time when I was a Purple and I was rolling with instructor Black belt..  Triangle..

Both times felt like I was asleep for a long time, vivd dreams.. 

The time with the blue belt, I was told I was snoring.. Good times..

kennyfrommd -

Twice bad, countless times only a little bit.

1. Was rolling with a roosterweight that took a collar choke from guard. Brushed it off and felt nothing. Stood to pass and didn’t even bother breaking his puny grips. Woke up on my back with Michelle Nicolini standing over me cracking up.

2. Rolling with one of our female black belts with a nasty clock choke. Did not respect said clock choke. Woke up on my back with her laughing at me.

My main training partner is a killer with a loop choke. Those things come on quick. Especially when you are pressure passing. It’s put me down a few times.

I'd get put to sleep regularly if I could wake up to Michelle Nicolini looking at me!

1. first BJJ tournament. the guy did a push choke from inside my guard and I did an armbar on him. thought I had it and then I was dreaming I was at a Chinese food restaurant. woke up and realized I was not going to get sweet and sour chicken balls after all. damn.

2. training with a super weak, skinny armed kid and I let him sink a choke just to see if I could fend it off. Next thing I know, I’m at my desk at work but the headlights of my jeep are shining at me, which was impossible since my office had no windows, and I realize that I’m not at work, I’m sitting on the mats looking out at the cars in the parking lot, but I can’t “wake up” to stop the kid from choking me. then I wake up and people say I did kind of a backflip to get out …

3. I’m rolling with a strong blue belt and passing his guard. He goes for a spinning baseball bat choke from below, which I’ve always countered by just doing an armlock. this time … no dice. I wake up and people tell me I was snoring or something and it was kind of freaky. no surprise. I now realize that is not the best counter to the rolling baseball bat choke from below, which is a sneaky move.

4. rolling with a little purple belt who is a guillotine nightmare machine. I am in deep half guard and I sweep him and come up on top right into a full guard guillotine. I stack him and get some angle to stop the pressure but it is still on. then I’m pretty sure I’m in side control and relieved I got out. only I didn’t get out. I wake up and I’m in a crawling position with him standing there, asking me if I’m ok. Its a good thing he sensed I was out.

… am I dreaming right now? It’s possible. Maybe I’m laying unconscious on the ground somewhere …

Once really badly. Was training for a fight and not in a class so no one watching over us. Grappling against a big roided out fighter, older but strong. Was going to be fighting a wrestler so when he got me in a tight front headlock tight enough to choke I just decided tapping wasn't an option considering I would be in this position in the fight. Woke up and apprently when I seizing up the guy thought I was still fighting and continued to squeeze when I was out. It fucked me up for a little bit

wombat - 1) first BJJ tournament. the guy did a push choke from inside my guard and I did an armbar on him. thought I had it and then I was dreaming I was at a Chinese food restaurant. woke up and realized I was not going to get sweet and sour chicken balls after all. damn.
2) training with a super weak, skinny armed kid and I let him sink a choke just to see if I could fend it off. Next thing I know, I'm at my desk at work but the headlights of my jeep are shining at me, which was impossible since my office had no windows, and I realize that I'm not at work, I'm sitting on the mats looking out at the cars in the parking lot, but I can't "wake up" to stop the kid from choking me. then I wake up and people say I did kind of a backflip to get out ...

3) I'm rolling with a strong blue belt and passing his guard. He goes for a spinning baseball bat choke from below, which I've always countered by just doing an armlock. this time .. no dice. I wake up and people tell me I was snoring or something and it was kind of freaky. no surprise. I now realize that is not the best counter to the rolling baseball bat choke from below, which is a sneaky move.

4) rolling with a little purple belt who is a guillotine nightmare machine. I am in deep half guard and I sweep him and come up on top right into a full guard guillotine. I stack him and get some angle to stop the pressure but it is still on. then I'm pretty sure I'm in side control and relieved I got out. only I didn't get out. I wake up and I'm in a crawling position with him standing there, asking me if I'm ok. Its a good thing he sensed I was out.

... am I dreaming right now? It's possible. Maybe I'm laying unconscious on the ground somewhere ...</span></blockquote>

Haha, awesome.  I've heard about the vivid dreams from several people.  Crazy that it can happen in so short an amount of time.  Sleep scientists should study us.

asdf -

Once.  Baseball choke from bottom after I passed guard.  It was a lesser known technique back then and unknown to me.

I'm surprised there aren't more instances here of getting baseballed from the bottom.

Came here to post this.  Once really bad from a 135 lb. purple who was a construction worker.  I was in his 1/2 guard and I pushed his knee down to just bully pass and as I was passing I thought to myself "Wait a minute, this is waaaay to easy" and it was.  Went out with my head on his chest and when I came to he was super apologetic.  Not your fault man, all mine.  Very vivid dreams during my nap.  The baseball choke is super effective against pressure passers since the setup is so non-threatening.  

Second time was bad as well.  We had just learned a new loop choke from the bottom and were positional sparring.  A super strong blue caught me and I was thinking "No way am I going to tap from the brand new choke" so I was telling myself "Ok, you've got about 4 seconds before you go out.  3, 2............where am I??".    That dream was really, really bizarre.  Dreamt I was in a giant bowl of soup just flailing around surrounded by carrots and potatoes.  Great endorsement for the instructors technique though I guess, right?