How much cardio should fat people do?

Assuming they are dieting and working out regularly....how much cardio should a fat person be doing?

I'm telling my bro in law who weighs 320 and is 6'2 and very muscular with 34% BF to finish his weight training with 45 min of cardio 3x per week and 2 days per week 15 min of HIT cardio.

Think that's good? Phone Post 3.0

How much cardio should fat people do?

All of it.

He should be dieting only until reaching a target weight, after & only after will exercise be magic. The cardio is only slowing his weight loss down, by a lot.

I'm aware this is against conventional folk wisdom.

Joel Fuhrman Eat to Live/End of Diabetes.
Ray Cronise winter hypothesis/thermogenex.

BarkLikeADog - He should be dieting only until reaching a target weight, after & only after will exercise be magic. The cardio is only slowing his weight loss down, by a lot.

Id like to here the reasoning behind this as well. Phone Post 3.0

All of it Phone Post 3.0

OriginalTUFer - Exercise increases hunger
Exercise increases your caloric needs
Exercise increases your need to feel good
Exercise increases your need to reward your self

All of these things threaten adherence to the lower calorie diet, which is the main driving factor behind weight loss. When you consider the negligible benefit of cardio, maybe a thousand calories a week, and balance it against the significant risk to staying on the diet, it's a no-brainer.

You can't outrun the fork. Phone Post 3.0
Bullshit. Inhad to.quit running and cycling for 3 months and gained 10 lbs. I kept my diet and lifting the same though Phone Post 3.0

All of these things threaten adherence to the lower calorie diet, which is the main driving factor behind weight loss. When you consider the negligible benefit of cardio, maybe a thousand calories a week, and balance it against the significant risk to staying on the diet, it's a no-brainer.

That's all liberal mentality nonsense.

If you can't control what you're eating you're never gonna lose weight anyway.

He has his diet under control and a heavy weight lifting program. Phone Post 3.0

^^^ I don't understand that logic.  Exercise is only going to increase your caloric consumption and make you lose weight faster.  Just be disciplined and don’t gorge yourself after you workout because "you earned it" and you'll be fine,  I understand an abundance of discipline probably isn't what got these people into their situation in the first place but telling people not to exercise because they'll lose weight faster just isn't true.

Give your head a shake.

Judge Mental - 

That's all liberal mentality nonsense.

If you can't control what you're eating you're never gonna lose weight anyway.

He has his diet under control and a heavy weight lifting program. Phone Post 3.0

This is the second time today I've seen someone blame something completely nonsensical on being liberal. What the fuck?

http://www.leangains.com

No cardio needed.  

Start here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FK8noIc5I&feature=youtu.be

& hang on to your questions until you've memorized it.

The folk wisdom that exercise is relevant to weight loss is wrong wrong wrong. It's fuckin' great for everything else.

more

Fasted cardio and eating less calories than he is burning daily is the philosphy ill be using unless someone can prove otherwise.

Judge Mental - 

Fasted cardio and eating less calories than he is burning daily is the philosphy ill be using unless someone can prove otherwise.

BCAAs before the cardio sessions to preserve muscle, but that is the way to go.   

The problem with steady pace cardio, such as jogging, walking, etc., is that your body easily adjusts to it, and become very efficient at doing it with little impact on body fat content. Here is a short article on it, which explains the theory: https://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio

As long as they identify as skinny then zero.

"Fasted cardio and eating less calories than he is burning daily is the philosphy ill be using unless someone can prove otherwise."

Watch the vid. He covers all the relevant points & references the studies. Outside of the lab, exercise - even lots of it - does nothing.

It's the food. Change the food & lose the weight. You can lose half a pound to a pound a day, safely & painlessly, simply by changing what you eat. No exercise program promises that much less delivers.

" If it's even a question if they will, the risk to steadily staying on their calories outweighs the reward of hundreds of calories burned through exercise each week."

It's more than that. It's not simply risk & potentially weak will power. The body is really awesome at self-regulating without regard to your input.

BarkLikeADog - He should be dieting only until reaching a target weight, after & only after will exercise be magic. The cardio is only slowing his weight loss down, by a lot.

I've been avoiding responding to the "cold thermogenesis" people for weeks now, but I'll just say that I think Ray Cronise is somewhere between con-man and lunatic.

Making yourself cold will cause you to burn more calories. So will exercising. There is no magic to shivering.

GenericAmerican -
BarkLikeADog - He should be dieting only until reaching a target weight, after & only after will exercise be magic. The cardio is only slowing his weight loss down, by a lot.

I've been avoiding responding to the "cold thermogenesis" people for weeks now, but I'll just say that I think Ray Cronise is somewhere between con-man and lunatic.

Making yourself cold will cause you to burn more calories. So will exercising. There is no magic to shivering.

I'm still interested to see the results of Cronise's proposed experiments on cold thermogenesis reveal. The interesting thing is that he blames an increase in hunger as the reason why almost all studies on swimming show no real weight loss effect. Tim Ferris even cautions on overeating immediately after a cold thermogenesis session as it seems to increase hunger, just like exercise. Depending on the difference in effect of pure exercise vs. a pure cold thermogenesis protocol, the question then comes up as to which is more enjoyable/sustainable: freezing your ass off (hyperbole here, depending on your protocol) or exercise, while also considering the multitude of other beneficial effects of exercise. Phone Post 3.0