How much cardio should fat people do?

" I'll just say that I think Ray Cronise is somewhere between con-man and lunatic. Making yourself cold will cause you to burn more calories. So will exercising. There is no magic to shivering."

The diet is Fuhrman's Eat To Live. Cronise' work only makes it more effective in terms of speed, but it isn't necessary. It's also not simply a matter of making oneself cold, but I wouldn't expect you to know that as his book isn't out yet & the formal papers are hard to read.

Cronise is definitely a lunatic. But his science is solid.

disbeliever - Do not ever tell a 320lb fat ass to do HIIT cardio at first. There is zzero chance they actually hit the intensity needed, and will most likely injure themselves.

Have them do 30-45 minutes on a tredmill, setting the incline to 5 degrees, and walk at 2-2.5mph.

After about a month of that, assuming they have been eating right and lifting, they can increase the intensity.

Very few people who are in shape do HIIT right, let alone big dudes.

this is correct

"I'm still interested to see the results of Cronise's proposed experiments on cold thermogenesis reveal. "

Biggest part of Cronise' weight loss narrative is the Winter Hypothesis, not the thermogenex stuff.

BarkLikeADog - "I'm still interested to see the results of Cronise's proposed experiments on cold thermogenesis reveal. "

Biggest part of Cronise' weight loss narrative is the Winter Hypothesis, not the thermogenex stuff.
I've read the original paper and while observational studies are interesting for the purposes of forming new hypothesis, interventional studies are needed to make any real claims. Phone Post 3.0

ttt

White347LX - How much cardio should fat people do?

All of it.

Fuck. I was sure someone would have beaten me to it... but you sir are a scholar...and fast!

disbeliever - Do not ever tell a 320lb fat ass to do HIIT cardio at first. There is zzero chance they actually hit the intensity needed, and will most likely injure themselves.

Have them do 30-45 minutes on a tredmill, setting the incline to 5 degrees, and walk at 2-2.5mph.

After about a month of that, assuming they have been eating right and lifting, they can increase the intensity.

Very few people who are in shape do HIIT right, let alone big dudes.

Thats pretty much exactly what he's doing except he is also adding in HIT using a HR monitor.

^As I already stated, exercise is great & really really important for health; it's just worthless for weight loss is all. People who are morbidly obese are much better off getting their weight under control quickly, THEN exercising for health, than dicking around forever achieving neither.

We disagree on that fundamental point; we both already know that. But characterizing my comment as a rejection of exercise altogether is a lie. I'm clearly not arguing exercise isn't important for health.

Ha, I knew I'd get voted down for daring to speak against master Cronise. People get so strangely attached to characters like him.

Cronise is at the very least a proven liar, since he has posted pictures that he said where him, but that he stole from some bodybuilding site.

It's also a matter of practicality. Even if he proves that being cold is an effective form of weight loss, I don't think the fat masses will suddenly start taking cold showers and wearing vests with ice packs on them.

I just don't think it has much benefit to the field of weight loss. There might be some benefit to the athletic community or people looking to get that little bit of extra response out of their body.

All I know is that I grew up around fad diets and supplement gurus, and I heard Cronise interviewed and immediately thought "This guy is a snake oil salesman".

Gives workout advice then asks if its good advice....

hahaha

as a fat guy, FU OP, lol

I don't partake of this site's silly karma system FWIW.

"Even if he proves that being cold is an effective form of weight loss,"

That's not his claim. He promotes Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet as the primary component to weight loss.

"Gives workout advice then asks if its good advice...."

Solid point.

Dieting is numero uno imo. My thing with hitting the cardio hard is that the average blimp probably can't handle the high impact to their joints and bones. Slow conditioning all the way down to the 200s. Simple walking and a pool routine is the way to go. Phone Post 3.0

disbeliever - 
pm1964 - The problem with steady pace cardio, such as jogging, walking, etc., is that your body easily adjusts to it, and become very efficient at doing it with little impact on body fat content. Here is a short article on it, which explains the theory: https://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio
This isn't a concern when someone is 320lbs of fat. Phone Post 3.0

The scenario is somebody who is 6'3" and 320 with 34% body fat. That means he has around 110 pounds of fat. Nobody is saying that he needs to lose all of it obviously, but maybe 60-70 pounds is realistic. He's certainly not going to lose 60-70 pounds of fat just by steady state cardio. I think his body adjusts to that way before then. Then again, I am no scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently.

^You should watch the rest of the video.

BMI is mostly diet. If you don't eat it, you won't be it. If you eat too many calories, you get fat. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

The only exercise very fat people should do is walking, anything else is dangerous.

BarkLikeADog - ^As I already stated, exercise is great & really really important for health; it's just worthless for weight loss is all. People who are morbidly obese are much better off getting their weight under control quickly, THEN exercising for health, than dicking around forever achieving neither.

We disagree on that fundamental point; we both already know that. But characterizing my comment as a rejection of exercise altogether is a lie. I'm clearly not arguing exercise isn't important for health.

Exercise isn't worthless for weight loss. You can say it's not necessary but worthless? 500 extra calories burned a day = 1 lb a week. Eating 500 less calories from what your maintenance needs are =1 lb a week.

If someone is obese they are going to burn a shit load of calories doing things healthy people would consider very mild activity. They don't have to move nearly as much, or long, as fast to get their heart rate up