How much do bands get paid?

Not major acts like U2.   Bands that play on Friday & Saturday nights at small local clubs.  

Say you have a "typical" 4 piece band - drummer, bass player, 2 guitar players.  And say they play at a club on a Friday night, four 45-minute sets.  

what could that band reasonably expect in payment for playing that gig?

My neighbor is in a local band that has a following and they get a $2000-$2500 per show.

Hes been doing pool and house parties since the bars are close as got a $4000 for a pool party. They also have just did a Facebook live show. 

Sorry im no help but I imagine you'll get a wide range of answers depending on region, of music, venue, etc. 

Depends on the draw and if you have a following. If you bring your own crowd you can probably make some nice spending money. If the club/bar has to promote or you dont bring a crowd, probably a pitcher of beer and a blooming onion.

About tree fiddy.

3 Likes

BonedByPicograms* -

We get a few hundred plus free beer.

About the money for tonight...............Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

1 Like

Mutant -

My neighbor is in a local band that has a following and they get a $2000-$2500 per show.

Hes been doing pool and house parties since the bars are close as got a $4000 for a pool party. They also have just did a Facebook live show. 

Band name? Since I’m also in Tempe 

This type of post is the Bat-Signal for AngryInch

Wedding/corporate cover band? Thousands. Original music project, rarely more than $500, often nothing. 

My band got paid $12.50 once to split 5 ways, lol. It was a wednesday and we were to open for a touring band. Touring band canceled day of. We played anyways with some other shitty local bands. One of the worst gigs ever.

Snake_Pliskan -
BonedByPicograms* -

We get a few hundred plus free beer.

About the money for tonight...............Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

Well we thought beer was on the house for the band.

Tell you what, I will go outside and write you a check.  I usually sit in the car and write it out on the glove compartment door.  BRB.

1 Like

A house band playing popular cover tunes? Probably a couple hundred total.

An original band? They lost money and probably even paid to play.

DollawayGotFistedByAPillow -
Mutant -

Band name? Since I’m also in Tempe 

Yeah since they are my neighbor I don't know need to get doxxed again. 

Mutant -

Show us these dudes. 

This varies so wildly it's not possible to answer this without more specifics.

For example, in college I played in a cover band. 2 to 3 hours of material. We would get paid $1600 and a case of beer for the nite. This was in the midwest in a popular college town in the early 2000s.

n LA, it was possible to EAT the cost of selling tickets to your own show for a 45 min set if you couldn't sell enough tickets (pay to play).

Mutant - 

The only bands I know that get paid that much are touring bands, maybe some tribute bands, and bands that play private corporate/wedding type gigs.

Your typical bar band playing covers to between 30 and 200 people on a Friday or Saturday night will usually make anywhere from $250 to $800.  

I've played a few corporate gigs, got paid about $3K for those.  My typical bar gigs pay between $50 to $100 a person.  Some of the gigs in venues that are considered A-list pay $800.  

It also varies from market to market. In South Florida the pay is usually about double what it is in SoCal.  A gig that would pay $400 in South Florida will likely pay $200 to $250 on SoCal.  

No musicians I know do this for a living.  The few that do are all about the corporate/festival/wedding type shows and run it like a full time business doing gigs between 5 and 7 days a week.  That's a very very hard business to be successful in.  

Back in the late 80s and early 90s it was much better for bands.  A touring cover band playing nothing but hair metal covers could easily pull in $1K-$2K per night plus lodging plus food and beer.  When grunge took over and the hair metal scene died, so did the days of touring cover bands making that much money.    

I've gotten paid (in ascending order):

Nothing

*Free Beer

$40

SergesBeefyHopeFlaps - Depends on the draw and if you have a following. If you bring your own crowd you can probably make some nice spending money. If the club/bar has to promote or you dont bring a crowd, probably a pitcher of beer and a blooming onion.

I’ll scream like Cory Taylor for 8 hours straight for a blooming onion. You can even keep the pitcher of beer!

angryinch -
Mutant - 

The only bands I know that get paid that much are touring bands, maybe some tribute bands, and bands that play private corporate/wedding type gigs.

Your typical bar band playing covers to between 30 and 200 people on a Friday or Saturday night will usually make anywhere from $250 to $800.  

I've played a few corporate gigs, got paid about $3K for those.  My typical bar gigs pay between $50 to $100 a person.  Some of the gigs in venues that are considered A-list pay $800.  

It also varies from market to market. In South Florida the pay is usually about double what it is in SoCal.  A gig that would pay $400 in South Florida will likely pay $200 to $250 on SoCal.  

No musicians I know do this for a living.  The few that do are all about the corporate/festival/wedding type shows and run it like a full time business doing gigs between 5 and 7 days a week.  That's a very very hard business to be successful in.  

Back in the late 80s and early 90s it was much better for bands.  A touring cover band playing nothing but hair metal covers could easily pull in $1K-$2K per night plus lodging plus food and beer.  When grunge took over and the hair metal scene died, so did the days of touring cover bands making that much money.    

This is what homeboy said we were talking about about the coronavirus and how do much he's losing out on gigs. I should do asked you see if Hialeah bank statement for the naysayers on an off topic section of an mama forum. 

Yeah, I'm thinking a typical college kid cover band playing gigs 2-3 times a month, and if this could be concideted a viable part time job to generate gas & beer money.  Was wondering if once the money was split four ways if each band member could expect $100 a night.  

thing is most garage bands wouldn't be able to come up with four 45-minute sets of popular songs that all the band members know how to play.  Or some band member would balk at learning a country music set just so they could play in a well paying country bar, because they are "too metal to sell out like that."

I hired bands for a lot of small events, like a couple hundred people, outdoor parking lot, but on a stage with an ok PA type of shows.

The idea is to sell beers. The best one was like 8 kegs plus a bunch of cocktails. These 2 were cover / tribute bands. Kiss and ACDC.

A lot of time we paid bands $250 best up up to $4k for a local band with a great local following.