How much for BJJ training?

I remember paying 50 bucks a month for three times a week but I could only make one. This was with the best instruction in the region at the time, a good blue belt in 1996.

Then, when I found a Black Belt 100 miles in the other direction, I changed over. It was 90 per month for twice a week but I could still only make one.

I never complained because I got was I was paying for.

Now, I teach my own class as a purple belt. We train three days a week, two hours per day broken into two classes each. The fee is 65 per month which I split with the TKD school we train out of. I personally think we are at the extreme low end for tuition, even in our area. It was at my request to keep it like that as I didn't like people using the cost as an excuse not to come in. I believe I could justifiably charge more and still be under what the average TKD school rate is.

Guys thanks for all your help. What length of time are these contracts that they want you to sign? Are they month to month, 3 months, yearly?????

I live in NJ right on the Hudson river next to NYC. I am like 3 miles from the Gracie academy in the city as the crow flies. But besides that it's pricey, I would also have to pay for tolls and parking.

The 3 places for bjj listed on this site that are closest to me, are either closed or are really located in NYC. I am leaning towards the one in Montclair. Let me know what you think please. It's at www.mbjj.com

Thanks again guys.

150 unlimited seems to be the standard here. way too much for me

I have heard great things about mbjj.com and their teacher Mike Mrklic. He is also a great BJJ guy- he was invited to compete in ADCC, the most prestigious competition.

You cannot go wrong going there.

Yeah, and besides adcc he has done a lot more competing if you look at his site. I just looked up one of the 2003 adcc dvds and he's in there, and he's also in 101 submissions.

He goes to Brazil a few times a yr to train with Royler.

Minor point, but relevant (sorry if somebody's made it already): the cost of running a school, classes, paying bills, and instructors, and generally eating & etc. is different from place to place.

Most places in CA, for example, seem to charge between $20-$25 per day, mat fee, while where I live (deep south) mat fees seem to be generally about $10-$15 per day if you don't buy a month in advance.

Market rate in a given locale is really the question, taking into account after that the prestige of the school and the real (not hyped) quality of instruction.

By the way:

TTT for clean mats, unsullied by thousands of stray bodyhairs.

If you are in LA, you should train at Eddie Bravo's place or at Hayastan Dojo with Gokor.

Both places are great and charge 105-110/month for unlimited training. I train at the former and it's well worth it.

As far as paying 150 and up to train at BJJ places, if you have the money, go ahead. But why?

Rickson's place is 260 unlimited. Other places in that same vein are 180-200.

It's your money, but for the best training and the best deal in Los Angeles, train with either Eddie Bravo and/or Gokor in Hollywood.