How much pressure does the UFC put on fighters to

How much pressure does the UFC put on fighters to learn English?

I remember back in PRIDE, all fighters pretty much just spoke in their native tongues, but in the UFC, we see these same guys trying to desperately speak English. I remember Luiz Cane, or some shit, once said, "sorry about my English, i'm taking classes, it will be better next time" in a post fight interview.

I think they realise if they want he UFC to market them, they have to accomodate to the "BEST LERN YERSELF SOME AMURIKAN!" fans. 

Well, it's much easier for a foreign fighter to meet the fans, talk to the media and get sponsors if he speaks english.

Alot of them move to the US to train in camps, so naturally - they will learn English.

Yeah so horrible for people to learn another language.

Fuck speaking english, I only type in it.

BrazilianBomber - How much pressure does the UFC put on fighters to learn English?
I remember back in PRIDE, all fighters pretty much just spoke in their native tongues, but in the UFC, we see these same guys trying to desperately speak English. I remember Luiz Cane, or some shit, once said, "sorry about my English, i'm taking classes, it will be better next time" in a post fight interview.

I think they realise if they want he UFC to market them, they have to accomodate to the "BEST LERN YERSELF SOME AMURIKAN!" fans. 

Pride is dead man. Get the fuck over it!

Seriously, what is the big fucking deal? Does it get in your craw when you hear Lyoto Machida speaking English and actually connecting with the fans?

sharp1 - I'd like to learn brazilian someday

Portugese, not Brazilian!

"I remember back in PRIDE, all fighters pretty much just spoke in their native tongues, but in the UFC, we see these same guys trying to desperately speak English"

none of those guys lived in Japan and a ton of the current UFC fighters have moved to America. Its pretty common sense

LOL anderson can speak a LOT more than a little english. he did the entire UFC unleashed or whatever that show was without an interpreter and understood every word, and spoke fluently

No such language as Brazilian.  In Brazil, they speak Jiu-jitsu.

You'll get a hell of a lot more endorsment deals if you can speak English.  I'll bet the UFC isn't pressuring anyone.  I'll bet most are learning on thier own accord.

Bobby Lupo - 
NVHighRoller - 

ask someone from Lisbon if the sounds coming out of a Brazilian's mouth are Portugese and they'll be really opinionated about it. I watched an interview with Christiano Ronaldo and Kaka (2 of the best soccer players in the world and teammates: 1 Brazilian 1 Portugese) and it sounded like they were speaking 2 different languages and at one point Ronaldo was giggling about the way Kaka was speaking and said that he didn't know if it was Italian, Spanish or Portugese.

If you make your living in a country, you'll make a better living if you speak the language.

I went to translate an interview from tatame once and asked someone that spoke Portuguese to help. He agreed, then read it and said it was in Brazilian Portuguese so he couldn't understand it.

Dunno what that has to say about the dialect but languages aren't always the same everywhere.

TheVileOne - Yeah so horrible for people to learn another language.

America laughs at you, then takes a sip of beer, and takes another bite out of that big mac.

wat

Maybe Luiz Cane WANTS to learn English. Ever think of that?

BrazilianBomber - 
TheVileOne - Yeah so horrible for people to learn another language.

America laughs at you, then takes a sip of beer, and takes another bite out of that big mac.

You make it seems like this is any different from anywhere else in the world. Try speaking broken Portugese or broken Spanish in Brazil or Spain and they will definitely think you are just some stupid gringo. It's the same everywhere.

story97 - 
Bobby Lupo - 
NVHighRoller - 

ask someone from Lisbon if the sounds coming out of a Brazilian's mouth are Portugese and they'll be really opinionated about it. I watched an interview with Christiano Ronaldo and Kaka (2 of the best soccer players in the world and teammates: 1 Brazilian 1 Portugese) and it sounded like they were speaking 2 different languages and at one point Ronaldo was giggling about the way Kaka was speaking and said that he didn't know if it was Italian, Spanish or Portugese.

If you make your living in a country, you'll make a better living if you speak the language.

I went to translate an interview from tatame once and asked someone that spoke Portuguese to help. He agreed, then read it and said it was in Brazilian Portuguese so he couldn't understand it.

Dunno what that has to say about the dialect but languages aren't always the same everywhere.

It's a dialect, but it's still Portuguese.

Some of you idiots aregetting the wrong idea, I'm all for fighters learning a new language, I just don't think they should feel forced to learn one, which will take time away from them, that could otherwise be used for training

Look how the crowds in Pride ate it up whenever a foreign fighter would say like one or two stock phrases in Japanese.

Yup. People like people speaking their native language and trying to connect with them that way. God freaking forbid.

Even Phil Baroni would address fans in Japanese at Pride events.