How much protein absorb 1 meal?

How much protein can your body absorb in one meal? I started taking Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein and one scoop has 24g of protein, 34g protein with 1 cup of lowfat milk. Would it be pointless then to consume 2 servings at one time (68g protein)? My bodyweight is 180 and workout 5-6 days a week. Also, the GNC Mega Men Sport vitamin I'm taking has amino acids the same as the protein shake. Is there a limit to how much amino acids your body can intake?

No, it wouldn't be pointless. The old limitations were based on flawed research decades ago based on urea excretion which was later realized to be overly simplistic. There is no set limit.

"No, it wouldn't be pointless. The old limitations were based on flawed research decades ago based on urea excretion which was later realized to be overly simplistic. There is no set limit. "

So, more=better?

excerpt from
Muscle Food: The Essential Protein Guide for Athletes and Bodybuilders

How much protein can you utilize in one meal
For years we have heard the myth that we can only digest and utilize 30 gms of protein per meal. Looking through the data there is no indication of this being true. Protein digestibility for quality protein foods is between 94-97%. This means if you eat 10 gms of protein 9.4-9.7 gms will be efficiently digested (depends on source). If you eat 100 gms of protein 94-97 gms will be efficiently digested (dependso on source). If the 30 gm rule were true why would research studies often use double that amount in meals. If the 30 gm rule were true there would be no need to eat over a 5 ounce chicken breast in one sitting. It would be very hard for many athletes to get their protein requirements.

So where did this myth come from? The myth was probably started from a supplement company who designed a new supplement that had the perfect serving of protein -30gms. I have heard numerous people in the last few years say the magic number is now 40 . Wow the body decided to let us utilize more protein.

coach hale
www.maxcondition.com

Digestion and utilization as either protein for muscle or as amino acids are two different things though, right?

-doug-

Right. The problem is, the old myth goes that you can only "absorb" X grams of protein. But what does "absorb" even mean? Digest, or utilize? Jamie was nice enough to provide us with some information on how much protein was digested, and now i'm wondering how much is utilized.

I suppose i ought to have phrased my question differently.

-doug-

What about the idea that all excess protein that isn't 'absorbed' is excreted as urea?  I thought someone here mentioned that.  Is there any data on if you eat 'excess' (whatever that is), how much is stored as fat vs. how much is excreted?

ttt