How much training volume can YOU tolerate?

7-10hrs per week road riding, + 1/2 hr per day on the indoor trainer warming up. So on a good week 10-13 hrs cycling.

However, I have chronic hip/lower back pain, so this eats into my CNS recovery. So this train volume could be a lot higher, otherwise. I train year round but up it to 150mi/wk in the summer, 60-80 in the winter.

Age 50+

Ideologic,

I do three basic sprint workouts. I only sprint (outdoors) once per week.

1. 30-40 meters 

2. 40-50 meters

3. 60 meters

I never sprint more then 60 meters at a time. I rest one minute for every ten meters run. So 3 minutes for 30 meters and 6 minutes for 60 meters. In other words I am looking for maximum recovery and the ability to work at my top output. If (for any reason) my time falls below 90% of my max speed, I stop the session for that day. 

TAKU T.N.T.

KriegerVonGott,

I am training to increase / improve my top speed. In order to train for maximum top-end speed you must train at top speed. Sounds obvious but many seem to miss this concept.  

Training for top speed is like training to improve your high end RMs. You don't just do sets of 8-12 all day with 30 seconds rest if you want your 3-5 RM to go up. Likewise if you are running 200-300-400 yard repeats without full recovery, you are not training the correct energy systems to improve pure, top-end speed.

I hope that makes sense.

TAKU  T.N.T.

Holy shit man that was a long ass post.

Keep it simple man, hit the weights or do BW workouts, and see you how feel when your training for your sport.

Taku, what led you to your current goal of 50 meter WR +1 sec?

Stampy

Hi Stampy,

Actually it is + 1 sec for the 60 meter WR. I have always loved sprinting. I have never done pure sprinting (I played soccer). I just started doing it and decided it is good to have a goal. I am quickly recognizing that my goal may be more lofty then it may seem. The WR is 6.39 sec. I am currently running around 2 sec slower.

So...my first goal is to break 8 sec. And then see if I can move down from there.

TAKU T.N.T.

When I am not drinking and in good shape I don't think I have a limit. HOnestly till I was fat, alcohol dependend and 30, I litterally did not know what it felt like to be "tired". I was wide open or assleep, and I only slept 5-6 hours a night.

AS you can see by my spelling I am drinking at this very moment.

Seul, thanks for posting that.

FYI... I'm xennova if you want to ask anything, after re-reading that shit I wrote it seems a little convoluted haha. My training ideas have changed a little bit since then. Not all that much though...

bjj 2 x 90 minute sessions
muay thai 1 x 1hr - 30 min padwork, 30 min sparring
boxing 1 x 30 minute padwork
weights 2 x 1 hr sessions
1-2 surfs
also 25 - 30 1hr personal training sessions for work

if i have a bjj comp i will sacrifice 1 weights and 1 striking session to focus more on my bjj.

needless to say at the end of each week i'm pretty fuct
if i eat well and get plenty of sleep i'm fine. no sleep and i'm screwed :(

"FYI... I'm xennova if you want to ask anything, after re-reading that shit I wrote it seems a little convoluted haha. My training ideas have changed a little bit since then. Not all that much though... "

I hope you don't mind me posting it, I found it to be pretty helpful.

How have your ideas changed?

Gusto,
I don't really put up with them anymore. If you noticed I stopped posting as much. It really just became a q&a thing, and I couldn't answer so many questions. The "combat sports forum" isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the place.

Seul,
i don't mind at all. My ideas changed cause of a few talks I had with Wiggy. He changed my opinion on some conditioning stuff. My general idea as far as how to get stronger is still westside oriented but with slight modifications. The problem is you can take training as just s&c or fighting as a whole. Training as a fighter your priorities (as far as how you devote time) should IMO be-

1) drilling
2) sparring
3) conditioning
4) strength training

From what I wrote previously, imo more time should be spent drilling and sparring than lifting weights. If you're in any decent sort of shape. Get more time in the gym practicing your technique and you'll see more rapid improvements. Movement efficiency (aka fluidity) is what you want to improve above all else. I mention this all the time but most martial art movements

#1- are so complicated that they're more akin to ballet motions.

#2- are designed so that they're effective with LESS strength involved.

You can do a lot more with less strength training... Because MMA is so heavily technique based. Hitting the pads and sparring will improve your speed in striking way faster than plyometric pushups.

Practicing your shot on a live opponent is better than doing lunges with the barbell held in front squat oly style position. One is designed to mimic the other with a heavier load... one is actually DOING it. Just get a heavier partner. Or practice w/o one for speed.

If you need to gain weight, if your diet is good and your training is dialed in (there is a constant progression in difficulty) you can really just increase calories you ingest from protein. And your body will put the muscle where it needs to be placed.

lifting imo is to

#1 to preserve/improve muscle tissue- get the muscles stronger, and drill your ass off so the muscles/cns learn to use the new strength for THAT purpose.
#2 for a a recuperative effect. It takes a big hit on your CNS and your joints, but it helps increase your test when you lift heavy, my overall demeanor is better when I'm lifting. It's also like long distance running is to some people, helps clear my head.
#3 utilized for conditioning purposes.
#4 correct imbalances/prehabilitative measures

anyway, my ideas changed because Wiggy helped me understand how to utilize conjugate training in blocks of time to help whatever attribute that you're trying to improve at the time.

Really I could say "what are weights". Fedor says he doesn't lift. Yet he takes pictures with Kbells and swings sledgehammers all the time. We have to get out of this idea that lifting weights is just to improve your 1rm.