How old for a kid to get a phone?

My 9-year old has a friend with a phone. He texts him on my phone. He added him to my snapchat. He has been on the phone with him for an hour now. I think it's ridiculous. What are the OG's thoughts?

I would say 12 or 13 ?

12 for my son
When he started staying home on holidays that i had to go to work. No more after school programs for 12 yos.

I got him a military grade flip phone that he hasn't manged to destroy yet

When they can pay for it.

I did the 11th birthday with my oldest.  My younger 2 have to wait until then

My 9 year old has one

I am thinking 12. Who the fuck gets their kid a phone at 9? Now he is basically the cool kid because he has a phone. My kid dresses better though... Maybe I should kick his dads ass for putting me in this position?

giblert mendelez - My 9 year old has one

I would like to fight you.

Both of mine were 11 when they each got a phone.

Lol at getting your kid a flip phone.

Might as well dye his hair pink and get him to wear a bowtie to school.

You prick.

My step daughters father bought her one and I think it's a mistake. I think 12

I also made him watch a few min of Star Trek to show him where flip phones came from! !

6th grade?

My son was 10 when his buddy gave him an Iphone for his birthday. I wouldnt turn on the service though so it was really just an Ipod without service. He ended up losing it. He has an Ipod now and the kids at his school think its an Iphone.

Stronghold - I also made him watch a few min of Star Trek to show him where flip phones came from! !
Then this is acceptable...

Stronghold - 12 for my son
When he started staying home on holidays that i had to go to work. No more after school programs for 12 yos.

I got him a military grade flip phone that he hasn't manged to destroy yet

??

When they can afford it themselves. It is way too easy for kids to hook a parent's credit card up to an app store and just start buying shit. A friend of mine's six year old daughter maxed out one of his credit cards on in-app purchases. Until that's a near impossibility, phones are out of the question.

Flip-Phone-Kirk

my oldest daughter was 12ish, and it became a money sucking vortex that only ended when she moved out.

HunchyRedux - When they can afford it themselves. It is way too easy for kids to hook a parent's credit card up to an app store and just start buying shit. A friend of mine's six year old daughter maxed out one of his credit cards on in-app purchases. Until that's a near impossibility, phones are out of the question.

Maybe your friend should do some parenting, instead of pushing their kid off to technology, without taking the necessary precautionary steps to have a clear understanding of responsible use.

My son is 10, and will have a phone next year when he is walking home from school. I'm most certainly not handing him an iphone 7 and linking my accounts to it. He'll have the basics with restrictions.