How old were you when you got your black belt?

Few questions for the BJJ black belts, how old were you when you received your black belt? How long did it take? And how long have you been a black belt for currently?

1 Like

I got my black belt at age 30(human years)

Ive been a black belt for over 9 years. No stripes on belt because ive lost contact with my instructor.

Started training at the age of 18. Gaps in there due to acl surgery, switching gyms once i hit purple, various injuries and life happenings. I started in 2000 but started officially doing gi in summer 2001

10 Likes

Age 54. Got it a month ago. Only took me 16 years of training, give or take.

18 Likes

I started traning ufc when i was 19 and 11 years later i got my blackbelt

10 Likes

Black belt at 42. Got it a year ago. Started in late 2005. A bit sporadic in my early years but a lot of training, mat time and studying from 2013 onwards.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Nunya

2 Likes

Right around the time I lost my virginity, I must of been 7 or 8. They pass those out like trick or treat anymore.

2 Likes

Who is IBJJF official?

1 Like

1 Like

Id love to see the stats on this. Also OP whats your stats on this? What made you want to create this thread?

1 Like

Got it this last august - just shy of 52 years old.

6 Likes

Am i crazy for thinking maybe only 5% of black belts are registered with the ibjjf?

People who don’t compete

38, I received my black belt in June of this year so about 6 months. Not IBJJF “certified”, and I don’t really care much about ever getting a certification from them.

6 Likes

Oh and I’ve been training for about 11 yrs consistently.

I just turned 38 when I got my BB.

It took me 9 years to get.

I’ve been a BB for 15 years. (Last year I got my 4th degree).

I used to be IBJJF certified, but stopped paying them because --as my grandma liked to say-- “they’re a racket.”

17 Likes

Got it when I was 38 after 13 years of training. I registered with ibjjf just to get time-stamped then, but haven’t paid them since. Been training for 22 years now. Also you better not be farming data for identify theft op!

7 Likes

Got my black belt in 2020 just before turning 40. I started training in 94 at age 14. Really took the indirect route

9 Likes

Started with Sambo so that delayed it a bit. Then tore an ACL - was 42- 8 years ago :slight_smile:

3 Likes