How old were you when you got your black belt?

You are awesome

1 Like

I started training 12 years ago and Iā€™m still a white belt. Wtf is happening

6 Likes

Old ass motherfuckers with black belts. Us younger folks watch Seinfeld or game of thrones. We donā€™t need your blackbelts

4 Likes

60, started training @ 40, lots of time off for surgeries, one break was for 7 yrs.

8 Likes
  1. Had been training about 12 years
3 Likes

I didnā€™t know you were black belt

started in 2002, got bb in 2012, aged 37. havent trained much since 2018. tore meniscus in 2016, took 6mths off, and it never really felt 100%. then i lost the joy of training.

1 Like

i got my first black belt in 1992. it was shortly after my 13th birthday. it was a hard slog going to the YMCA two, sometimes three days a week for almost a year, but tang soo do is a demanding mistress

5 Likes

I was 44 years young in 2015 when I got mine

2 Likes

how often did you guys train? 3x-4x a week? 2 hours each session?

Thirty-seven. Eight and half years. Three years at black belt. White to brown, I trained six days a week. It was a part of my day no different than brushing my teeth. Now, I teach more than roll but I train when I can - my body feels so wrecked after even a little training with younger people. I donā€™t make quick movements or overload any muscular input. It doesnā€™t matter, I am coming to find out, the body just starts to break down quickly at this age and after a decade of hard training. Just grateful I made it to black belt - I have many friends that stopped along the way due to injuries.

6 Likes

So youā€™re 45ā€¦?

A week before my 40th.

1 Like

It varied over the years. I started in 2000 but it was hard to get access to consistent training due to money and distance.

Some periods not at all, other times 1x a week other times it was 5x a week and two a days.

1 Like

3-5 times per week for about an hour to 90 minutes when I was training steadily. Iā€™ve been drilling a lot for the past 3 1/2 years, I still roll hard fairly regularly but I have arthritis in my shoulder so Iā€™m in agony for a while after hard rolls.

I always lived in the gyms i trained at so i would sometimes train at midnight with the other live in students but for several years i would train at least twice a day sometimes three times and go to the beach and body surf in between eating all you can eat shushi or avocado cheeseburgers with Jeremy Williams and Bao Quach

2 Likes

More or less just curious. 37 and still only a purple belt. I assume ill be getting my black belt around early 40s if everything goes as plannedā€¦ More or less just seeing where I would fall compared to everybody else

1 Like

So who in this thread is registered with ibjjf?

1 Like

Not me. Too shite.i just like to cut promos

Not me. Donā€™t intend to either.

1 Like