How Old Were You When You Went Through Basic?

And why’d you join?

I was 18.

I didn’t want to play football after high school and that’s what my dad expected from me. So one day, while in Saskatoon, I went to the recruiter and signed up. I was actually 17 then and had to get my mom to sign with me. She didn’t want to, but I made her. 

They phoned me while I was in grade 12 but I told them I wanted to finish high school. They called back shortly after graduation. 

I’m also the third generation in my family to serve so I guess it’s in the blood. 

It was an awesome and horrible experience all at the same time. 

How about you?

I was 24 (Air Force) the first time and 35 (Army) the second time.

I don't remember why I joined the first time. I signed up again because I wanted to do something different.

22 years old.  Parris Island, SC. December 4,1990-March 1, 1991.  I had been partying too much in college and needed to get away for a while. 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry including some combat in Somalia made me a much better college student when I returned to college in January 1995. 

Turned 19 in basic. 

17-18, Harmony Church, Ft.Benning, GA

as soon as i turned 17 i enlisted.

quit school when i turned 16 with a couple of month to finish my grade 12 and could only get work as a labourer.  hard reality set in and didn't want to go back to school.

18 years. Just wanted a challenge. 

In

1 Like

23 years old Ft. Benning, GA 2006

How difficult was basic training? Any stories? Is it doable if your in relative good shape in your younger years?

The_Pundits_Ghost -

Basic puberty?

Visual?

’likeOMGtotallyBASIC’?

What are you talking about?

stanky leg -

Canadian basic, not sure that counts.

Oh man, that was a real zinger.  Good one pal!

1 Like

Graduate1 - How difficult was basic training? Any stories? Is it doable if your in relative good shape in your younger years?

I had one guy in my company accidentally shoot his own hand.  Another guy fell off the confidence tower and broke both of his legs.

Was looking for a career. Learned a lot, but didn't like taking orders. 

18, Navy, 1983. High school was over, and their was no way I was getting into collage. Local economy was depressed, no jobs, no future. Navy was a way out.

Graduate1 - How difficult was basic training? Any stories? Is it doable if your in relative good shape in your younger years?

Navy bootcamp in the '80s was summer camp. I was a tubby kid with no cardio and no upper body strength and I got through.

17 years old.
11B
A/8/2
Harmony Church
Ft. Benning

Sand Hill.

Because I wanted the training and had zero other career ambition.

1 Like

Honest Lee - 

Was looking for a career. Learned a lot, but didn't like taking orders. 

When I was in it was startling to me how many people there were who simply couldn't let someone else tell them what to do. Some of them would just grit their teeth and muddle through, muttering and complaining the whole time.

If that's your temperament then fine, but stay the hell out of the military.

DEP’d in at 17 and left a month after I turned 18. First two weeks of basic was terrifying, after that it was still extremely hard, but I learned to just laugh my way through it in the confines of the squad bay. Hilarious things happened there. Taught me to be a man.