How secure are cryptocurrencies?

I know nothing in this world is 100% safe. How safe are cryptocurrencies in general? If you take some reasonable precautions can your bitcoin be stolen by a hacker?

Didnt coinbase get robbed? Do you have any recourse if this happens?

Buy your bitcoin at an exchange and immediately transfer it to an off site wallet.  I use MultiBit HD and never had an issue.  Every time I send or receive it goes from a different Bitcoin address.

The real question you need to ask yourself is how insecure are cryptocurrencies?

I just asked because Ive been hearing about more hacking lately, ransomware

not only would they have to crack that particular part of the blockchain, but they would have to crack every part of teh blockchain created before it

Make sure you write down your seed and store it somewhere (Not your HDD in case it crashes). So you can recover your wallet.

If you plan on investing a lot or just really want to be safe look into a trezor hardware wallet.

Tim Duncan - I just asked because Ive been hearing about more hacking lately, ransomware

You sure you're not talking about the people infecting computers with ransom ware then requesting a bitcoin payment?

Tim Duncan - I know nothing in this world is 100% safe. How safe are cryptocurrencies in general? If you take some reasonable precautions can your bitcoin be stolen by a hacker?

Didnt coinbase get robbed? Do you have any recourse if this happens?

If you take reasonable precautions, no your coins can't get stolen because a hacker doesn't have access to the private keys needed to spend the coins.

On the other hand, if you don't own your private keys and entrust them to any online exchange or wallet, then yes, they can get stolen just like any other currency can from a traditional bank.

I own a lot of bitcoin. 97% of them are stored in paper wallets that have never seen the internet. It is 100% impossible for a computer hacker to steal them.

ltr

I n

I had thousands of bitcoins when they were super cheap. Hdd they were on crashed and without thinking, I threw it away. If I had any idea how much bitcoin would eventually be worth, I would have had the data recovered.

So, there's that. Hurts to think about tbh.

I also lost quite a few when am exchange I had them on was hacked.

Keep them offline. Keep multiple copies of your wallet.