How self sufficient are you?

I'd give myself a 7. I hunt deer, turkey, geese, squirrel, rabbit, and doves to keep my stomach full. I also fish year around and grow a garden.

I work for myself but I depend on other people needing work done. 

On a 1-10 scale, how self sufficient do you think you are? 

probably a 3.   Would like to be more self-sufficient but humans will always rely on others for other things to various degrees.  Namely, physical defense, b/c, well, even tough guys gotta sleep.

1? I would probably starve without a microwave or a woman, out of sheer laziness.

2 Likes
nek -

probably a 3.   Would like to be more self-sufficient but humans will always rely on others for other things to various degrees.  Namely, physical defense, b/c, well, even tough guys gotta sleep.

Im not sure I follow. In what ways do you depend on others for your safety?

Probably a 7 or 8 compared to the general population here.

Tim Duncan -

That's a good number. Looking at the things I listed, is there anything that pops into your mind that I'm missing?

Would you go to a bar, restaurant, movie, food and clothes shopping alone?  Some people can't do it. How about long drives without calling anyone? Simple shit that most people overlook. 

1 Like

I believe I could keep me and my family alive and well nourished for a very long time if necessary, with absolutely nothing from anyone.

I live in the mountains, have a large garden, bottle fruit ect. Have enough cable and locks for thousands of snares, firewood in every direction, own a spring that feeds my home.
Vast array of game animals and birds. Great river for fishing within walking distance.Lots of arrows for me, bullets for the wife, and muzzle-loading supplies for my son.

Barring health issues or serious injuries...forever.

Im a full-blown tuf'er 9.5. I hunt my own meat, I'm In accomplished journeyman industrial mechanic (most diverse trade on earth versed in electrical and mechanical systems, plus welding and fabrication) I can cook my own liquor and distill my own water, grow my own dope and am an avid gardener.

I reload my own bullets and like to piss around with forging to the point I think I could make something if need be (no alto, but dont need to be, really). 

I thank my lucky stars every night that I dont have to rely on these skills every day to survive. Life on the lonesome is a tough life.

1 Like

I'm dead without help.

Type 1 diabetic since the age of 6 so without some factory and scientist making my medicine I die a horrible slow painful death that would last a few weeks unless I put my 1911 back in my mouth and pull the trigger

If I have access to medicine, I can hunt, fish, cook, clean and grow weed. Never did well growing fruits and veggies but my wife has that covered. 

Dryfly - I believe I could keep me and my family alive and well nourished for a very long time if necessary, with absolutely nothing from anyone.

I live in the mountains, have a large garden, bottle fruit ect. Have enough cable and locks for thousands of snares, firewood in every direction, own a spring that feeds my home.
Vast array of game animals and birds. Great river for fishing within walking distance.Lots of arrows for me, bullets for the wife, and muzzle-loading supplies for my son.

Awesome man. I don't have any mountains in Indiana, but I'm in the woods at least. 

Pilgor the goat -

Im a full-blown tuf'er 9.5. I hunt my own meat, I'm In accomplished journeyman industrial mechanic (most diverse trade on earth versed in electrical and mechanical systems, plus welding and fabrication) I can cook my own liquor and distill my own water, grow my own dope and am an avid gardener.

I reload my own bullets and like to piss around with forging to the point I think I could make something if need be (no alto, but dont need to be, really). 

I thank my lucky stars every night that I dont have to rely on these skills every day to survive. Life on the lonesome is a tough life.

My dad does his own bullets. I have a .357 that i never really shoot so I don't really have to do bullets. That baby is specifically reserved for in case a stranger comes through my door at night.

I do have tons of arrows though!

Sometimes my wife lets me porrada -

I'm dead without help.

Type 1 diabetic since the age of 6 so without some factory and scientist making my medicine I die a horrible slow painful death that would last a few weeks unless I put my 1911 back in my mouth and pull the trigger

If I have access to medicine, I can hunt, fish, cook, clean and grow weed. Never did well growing fruits and veggies but my wife has that covered. 

Well the necessary meds aren't a penalty in my opinion. You get your meds from a doc, but sounds to me like you take care of yourself man. 

I do alright

HighInsideLegKick - 
Dryfly - I believe I could keep me and my family alive and well nourished for a very long time if necessary, with absolutely nothing from anyone.

Awesome man. I don't have any mountains in Indiana, but I'm in the woods at least. 

I am naive as hell about the eastern part of this country.

Is it all private land in Indiana for the most part?

The best part of here is that this state is like 70% public land.

Dryfly -
HighInsideLegKick - 

I am naive as hell about the eastern part of this country.

Is it all private land in Indiana for the most part?

The best part of here is that this state is like 70% public land.

Yes, a lot of privately owned land. Lots of farms. Corn fields, bean fields, woods and lakes. I'm from a small town where everyone knows each other so we all just kinda go where we want without much worries. There are some pretty nice state parks, but none as big as what you're talking about. There is a state park a few miles from me that has several lakes, tons of hiking trails and such.

We have some nice white tail deer, good turkey hunting as well. Fishing is bass, bluegill, crappie, catfish, and some places have a little bit of trout and walleye if they're specially stocked. 

10. I can sufficiently adapt my self to what is needed for my survival.

Fortunately I live in a comfortable world where all I need to do is wake up and work to get an income to provide me all my basic needs.

HighInsideLegKick -
Tim Duncan -

That's a good number. Looking at the things I listed, is there anything that pops into your mind that I'm missing?

I don't hunt but I could pick it up faster than the average person.  I think I can defend myself better than most people and I am probably more mechanically inclined than 7 out of 8 people.

From what I have seen 3 out of 10 will freeze and become utterly useless in a bad situation where there is no 911.  Maybe 5 will be able to function at a limited capacity.  Some will prey on others to get what they need.

I probably won't survive in a road warrior senario but I'd try hard for my kids.

Tim Duncan -
HighInsideLegKick -
Tim Duncan -

I don't hunt but I could pick it up faster than the average person.  I think I can defend myself better than most people and I am probably more mechanically inclined than 7 out of 8 people.

From what I have seen 3 out of 10 will freeze and become utterly useless in a bad situation where there is no 911.  Maybe 5 will be able to function at a limited capacity.  Some will prey on others to get what they need.

I probably won't survive in a road warrior senario but I'd try hard for my kids.

I was asking you if you have any tips for me because you seem to have the self sufficiency down to a art according to your first post. 

Hunting is mostly about patience in my opinion. Anyone can pick it up if they enjoy peace and quiet in the woods. 

I started being a lot more like I am now when I found out I had a son on the way. Something about having a boy made me want to be more self sufficient so I could teach him how to take care of himself.

I think you don't know what the situation will require.  If you can hunt you will have food and protection from your guns.  What if the hunting spots are blocked off by other hunters that feel the hunting grounds are theirs?  You might be handy with a gun but you still need the hand to hand stuff.  I say be well rounded.  If you can fix stuff,  make stuff or improvise.  The more you can do the more useful you will be and you will have something to barter.  I don't think we can make it on out own for long,  and that wouldn't be much of a life if you could