How to ask for a raise?

I do work well above my pay and my boss knows it. I also have heard people generally don't get as many raises as they don't ask for them. What is the best way to ask for a raise? Phone Post 3.0

Statistics dude.

Statistics. Phone Post 3.0

Good Thread. I'm interested in people's approach to this as well.

I'm in the process of putting together a raise request myself, so curious to hear other's approaches.

Have a VU Phuckles

the squeaky wheel definitely gets the oil

ive never had to ask for a raise, due to the nature of my job, but ive seen my wife do so multiple times thoruhgout her career

her peers would always ask her "WTF did you do to get that"

she'd simply reply "i asked"...of course she was well deserving each time, but she had to actually ASK to get it done

And don't compare yourself to anyone else in the company.

Focus on what you do and how well you do it. Not how much better you are at the job than old Jimbo a couple cubicles down the way. Phone Post 3.0

If you could put together a presentation that somehow portrays your performance (some type of metric) I think that would help. Phone Post 3.0

Are you employed or sub contractor/slef employed? Phone Post 3.0

My boss is pretty cool, so what I do is list the things I do that are not in my original job scope, argue that I have outgrown my current role, and tell him I love the job but I just want more money. It has worked twice in 2 years but my company is growing so it may be easier to get the raise.

Does your company give 1/4 semi or annual performance reviews? If so how have you done on those?

Simply doing work above your grade may not be enough especially if you don't do it well.

Put together a list of your accomplishments and show them what it is you bring to the table what do you do to add value?

How long have you been with the company, how long has it been since you last had a raise and whats the companies current financial status?

Don't make threats "If I don't get a raise I will quit" may get you a rise, BUT it may also get you a sorry to hear that there's the door. Also have in mind what you believe would be fair compensation for your job and be ready to back that up.

Good luck man at the end of the day you cant get what you dont try for.

TFK Cletus Redpecker III - Statistics dude.

Statistics. Phone Post 3.0

this. Numbers speak loudly. And it shows a that you are capable of high level process oriented analysis. Try to show the before and after of what you have accomplished.

I just ask my boss if I can talk to them for a bit. We go in the office and I just ask, they usually ask me why I should get one and I honestly tell them why. Always has worked for me but I'm cool with everyone at work. Phone Post 3.0

I can tell you it helps to be informed. Before you initiate the convo, gather as much data as possible backing up your market value.

Slobonmynog - Are you employed or sub contractor/slef employed? Phone Post 3.0

Hourly employee. My boss is aware that I am underpaid and has told me so. She is working on getting my job reclassified as I in no way do what I was hired to do. I believe my new position will be a salary position but I am not sure. I was hired as helpdesk 5 years ago and still have the same job classification. In that time I moved to support tech and now am an IT Asset Manager.

I manage projects, I define the IT hardware standards for the company, I am in charge of all AV in the company, I am top tier support for printer and copiers, and I interact with vendors all day on everything from ordering hardware to planning installs and all sorts of stuff. So while my job classification says "helpdesk" or "support tech" I really am a project manager. I started as helpdesk and now design highly important systems such as water treatment plant control rooms amongst other things. I also manage contracts with multiple vendors. I also am constantly volunteering for other work within the company such as helping to design our new $195 million dollar campus. I have been key in designing the layout of multiple areas of the new building and campus. I notice where work needs to be done and I fill the gap constantly. I do well above and beyond what is required, and she knows that.

So, the ball is in motion but in the meantime I feel I am leaving money on the table.

I get stellar reviews. I get consistently exceeds in all areas. I did get a good out of band raise two years ago that landed on the CEO's desk as a proposed 5% increase and he personally increased it to 8% so I am recognized at all levels of the company right up to the top. This is in a $1,500 person company so standing out is hard to do, but I do it. I crank out high volumes of critical work and get it done right.

I want, need, and deserve a raise. I am just wondering the best way to go about it.

GnP Sonnen - I just ask my boss if I can talk to them for a bit. We go in the office and I just ask, they usually ask me why I should get one and I honestly tell them why. Always has worked for me but I'm cool with everyone at work. Phone Post 3.0

I could do this. She actually has brought it up on her own many times. I really just need to ask but I want to be prepared before I make a formal request.

Phuckles -
GnP Sonnen - I just ask my boss if I can talk to them for a bit. We go in the office and I just ask, they usually ask me why I should get one and I honestly tell them why. Always has worked for me but I'm cool with everyone at work. Phone Post 3.0

I could do this. She actually has brought it up on her own many times. I really just need to ask but I want to be prepared before I make a formal request.
If she's brought it up go for it. If anything like she wants some numbers or something go get them make the conversation happen before she forgets. Phone Post 3.0

It sounds like you already have a raise in the works based on the new job position you'll have. I'd focus more on asking them when that will be happening. Phone Post 3.0

The Popeye - Does your company give 1/4 semi or annual performance reviews? If so how have you done on those?

Simply doing work above your grade may not be enough especially if you don't do it well.

Put together a list of your accomplishments and show them what it is you bring to the table what do you do to add value?

How long have you been with the company, how long has it been since you last had a raise and whats the companies current financial status?

Don't make threats "If I don't get a raise I will quit" may get you a rise, BUT it may also get you a sorry to hear that there's the door. Also have in mind what you believe would be fair compensation for your job and be ready to back that up.

Good luck man at the end of the day you cant get what you dont try for.

I tried to answer a lot of this in the rant above.

I should also add that my boss trusts me with important things. Often times a big project comes along that needs to get done. These projects may involve other groups that are difficult to work with or with critical systems in the company (I work for a very large water company that provides water to a very large metropolis so we truly have critical infrastructure all over the place). All the time she will say how she knows I am over loaded but if she gives the project to someone else it will not get done and asks if I can take it on. I always do. I own it, I make it mine, I complete it, and I take heat for any issues along the way. I am accountable and take pride in my work. She knows it. I just need to know how to ask and I want to do it right.

Phuckles - 
Slobonmynog - Are you employed or sub contractor/slef employed? Phone Post 3.0

Hourly employee. My boss is aware that I am underpaid and has told me so. She is working on getting my job reclassified as I in no way do what I was hired to do. I believe my new position will be a salary position but I am not sure. I was hired as helpdesk 5 years ago and still have the same job classification. In that time I moved to support tech and now am an IT Asset Manager.

I manage projects, I define the IT hardware standards for the company, I am in charge of all AV in the company, I am top tier support for printer and copiers, and I interact with vendors all day on everything from ordering hardware to planning installs and all sorts of stuff. So while my job classification says "helpdesk" or "support tech" I really am a project manager. I started as helpdesk and now design highly important systems such as water treatment plant control rooms amongst other things. I also manage contracts with multiple vendors. I also am constantly volunteering for other work within the company such as helping to design our new $195 million dollar campus. I have been key in designing the layout of multiple areas of the new building and campus. I notice where work needs to be done and I fill the gap constantly. I do well above and beyond what is required, and she knows that.

So, the ball is in motion but in the meantime I feel I am leaving money on the table.

I get stellar reviews. I get consistently exceeds in all areas. I did get a good out of band raise two years ago that landed on the CEO's desk as a proposed 5% increase and he personally increased it to 8% so I am recognized at all levels of the company right up to the top. This is in a $1,500 person company so standing out is hard to do, but I do it. I crank out high volumes of critical work and get it done right.

I want, need, and deserve a raise. I am just wondering the best way to go about it.

This makes it sound like she's already working on getting you a raise.

Having you reclassified would be the first step if you're already in the high end of your current position tier. Depending on your HR department, that shit could drag in for a bit.

lol @ "$1,500 person company." remove the dollar sign.

It's all about statistics. Can you prove that you saved the company money by preventing something from happening through your work? Did you bring into play a new process that has saved them money? It's pretty cut and dry in my industry if your performing your work or actually doing your job I'm saving clients thousands if not millions of dollars in unforetold damages if I never brought it to their attention. My boss knows this but from time to time I have to bring up the stats which is usually followed by either a nice bonus or a raise. If your just punching numbers in a cube all day that doesn't get the job done in reference to a raise. Your just doing your job. You have to show that you've gone above and beyond. I even in the past have managed to talk my employee to booking me only first class tickets as I have more room on flights home to be more productive. Phone Post 3.0