how to bring back the lightweights

I think the UFC made an understandable mistake with their lightweight division.

They had a ton of talented fighters at that 155 weight. Thomas. Serra. Penn. Franca. Edwards. Sudo. Uno. Pulver.

But when they fought each other, their skills were often neutralized, and they took fewer risks (with good reason). As a result, some (but not all) of the high profile LW fights were dull for the casual fan.

UFC could bring this division back to the forefront by adding an extra LW fight or two to the undercard (making 9 or 10 fights) that would feature one of the above stars against a real up and comer. Odds are the star would win, and win quickly, and slowly build a highlight reel for the division.

That way, you slowly bring the division back and generate interest, showing what these faster fighters can do.

I'm not a big fan of matches where someone is a heavy favourite to win.

That's my personal opinion though.

I don't remember having any big problems with the LWs that a little tweaking of the rules/judging criteria couldn't fix. Adjustments to the rules to encourage people to push toward ending the fight.

Certainly no different from the WW Hughes/Verissimo or the LHW Ortiz/Cote.

"I don't remember having any big problems with the LWs that a little tweaking of the rules/judging criteria couldn't fix. Adjustments to the rules to encourage people to push toward ending the fight.

Certainly no different from the WW Hughes/Verissimo or the LHW Ortiz/Cote."

Rude22 has tweaked ou the correct.

I'm amazed that so little is made of LW in the big leagues. Just look at most of boxing's big names like De La Hoya, Gatti, Trinidad etc. They all would be LW in the UFC.

Or just see how the HW division in the UFC is less stellar and all the glory has gone to the LHW. Thing is, fighters with amazing skills and charisma can make any weight class a force to be reckoned with. Bottomline, fighters dictate the fans'interest. And the LW division has lots of talent, too much to just dismiss them.

There's been some great stories and matches in the UFC LW div', that's why this is rather sad and confusing.

there were some bad matches in the late thirties early 40's, but since then we've mostly had top class fights that keep on bringing the action.

Another way is to not take them away in the first place.

seifer is correct.

Euphoria is as stacked at LW as UFC ever was.

I think it is too late now since Pride is in the LW market.

How to bring back the lightweights? An all-you-can-eat buffet should about do it, or just take the bottom out of the 170 class, since most are cutting 10-15 pounds anyway, it shouldn't really matter.

Id like to see a rivalry United States Company.If any are out there Im available for hire But need the right position.

Where does it say they got rid of the LW division?

Bang mentioned it on the challenge manny thread