How to buy / use bitcoin?

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm pretty low-tech...

I was looking at making an online fitness purchase and the fellow only takes bitcoin.

I googled "buy bitcoin", but I see a lot of scam warnings.

Is anyone here a pro that can dumb it down for me?

Like can I just buy $350 of bitcoin, then use them immediately for my purchase? If so, how does bitcoin make any $?

In for answers as also clueless.

Coinbase is easiest for online although they have limits for new users.

Localbitcoin is great for fast purchase. When i started i used it and found a woman in my town who sold.

Got to the point where i would just text her and she would send and i would just drop the money off in her mail slot whenever.

Remember that BTC is irreversable. So if you buy from someone who scams you there literally nothing you can do to get your money back.

fade2007 - Coinbase is easiest for online although they have limits for new users.

Localbitcoin is great for fast purchase. When i started i used it and found a woman in my town who sold.

Got to the point where i would just text her and she would send and i would just drop the money off in her mail slot whenever.

Remember that BTC is irreversable. So if you buy from someone who scams you there literally nothing you can do to get your money back.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of.

Hashtag -
fade2007 - Coinbase is easiest for online although they have limits for new users.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of.
Theres really no safe way of buying with BTC.

The best you can do is research the seller but even then ive seen people with hundreds of succesful deals and vouches randomly scam thousands and walk away.

Based on the above, I signed up with coinbase.

On the surface, it seems pretty legit. It's now asking me to link a credit card or bank account.

Is coinbase 100% legit?

There will probably be a backlash against it as people realise than money they spend buying it is going straight to the worst kind of criminal. It was always going to crash sooner or later, but now probably sooner. Utterly imoral buying it given what has been happening lately. 

Hashtag - Based on the above, I signed up with coinbase.

On the surface, it seems pretty legit. It's now asking me to link a credit card or bank account.

Is coinbase 100% legit?
I've done a lot of business with Coinbase. It's legit.

Coinbase is great. Other than the limits on purchase amounts, and the wait time after you purchase directly from a deposit account. Buy with a CC and it's there instantly, although you can only buy 300 USD worth at first. Then it goes up after a while.

Coinbase charges a fee for each transaction. 12 dollars for a 300 dollar buy.

Marcus Agrippa -

There will probably be a backlash against it as people realise than money they spend buying it is going straight to the worst kind of criminal. It was always going to crash sooner or later, but now probably sooner. Utterly imoral buying it given what has been happening lately. 

What? Why should I be held responsible for the behaviours of others? 

Under your logic you shouldn't hold dollars as it is used in 99% of crime. 

I've had a Coinbase account for a long time, they're legit.

And lol @ the poster who is upset because people in the world do bad things. Let me stop using cash and the US Dollar too.. I heard bad stuff happens with it.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he's right about a backlash. The public will probably believe it when the bimbos and geriatric alcoholics on cable news tell them getting paid for crimes with cryptocurrency is worse than payment for crimes with fiat currency...even though it's the same exact crime being committed.

ltr

Buying steroids? I remember when all this shit was done by Western Union.

Just do a small purchase if you can at first and keep doing incrementally larger purchases and you'll be fine. 

Jayn200 -

Buying steroids? I remember when all this shit was done by Western Union.

Just do a small purchase if you can at first and keep doing incrementally larger purchases and you'll be fine. 

Go buy one of those gift card visas. It's essentially the blow up phone (prepaid) of the credit card world. If you buy it cash it's not traceable

Marcus Agrippa -

Bitcoin is used for more than criminals.

I sell legit hardware for BTC only because i hate paypal and its easy to get scammed with paypal.

BTC will not crash because of criminals use it. Pawn shops/ebay/craigslist have more criminal activity on it and they are doing great.