How to calm down 15 year old spaz?

You older guys who weigh alot are in luck. I just wrapping up a DVD video series called "Countering the Spastic Teen". I don't want to give away too much, but there will be a volume titled "Canopeners for Kids" that may be of special interest to you. Stay tuned!

demandango - wristlocking isn't a dick move. it's a perfectly valid technique.

No doubt.

But your comment ignores context. He said they were drilling omaplatas as a technique, don't think they were sparring.

truehonor - You older guys who weigh alot are in luck. I just wrapping up a DVD video series called "Countering the Spastic Teen". I don't want to give away too much, but there will be a volume titled "Canopeners for Kids" that may be of special interest to you. Stay tuned!

man I can't wait!!!! Is there a mailing list I can subscribe to?

Talk to him like an adult. Duh. Phone Post

yo, scott, let us know the next time you get a chance to get even with this punk. i hope it is tonight in class.

vegard - yo, scott, let us know the next time you get a chance to get even with this punk. i hope it is tonight in class.

Will do last night was pretty epic though.. so rollin gtime comes and the instructor pairs me up with the 15 year old spazbot. I don't know why he does it.. well I do but I hate it. Basically I am the only guy that can put up with this kid and not really hurt him. Some of the younger guys have already told the instructor they're tired of dealing with him.

At any rate we start from the knee's and I figure since I am bigger I'd poull guard. Well he did that same thing so I get my old ass back to my knees adn start moving to engage him. You know what he does... he butt scoots away for 4 minutes.. every time I try to get in his guard.. scoot scoot scoot..

I just wanted to train man and this kids basically running from me. It got pretty annoying and I really lost my patience. I tried asking him to stop and start training but he just looked at me and shook his head. I was super annoyed so I eventually, with a minute left, just stood up and jumped into side control sorta belly flop style. So he goes into full spazbot mode now.. I tried holding him down and controlling him with a kimura/armbar set up from side control but he's going nuts. I was afraid he'd break his own arm so I went really slow. Eventually the buzzer rings for the end of the round, the kid stands up and screams "what now bitch!!" and runs around the mat in a circle with his arms raised like he just won the worlds.

Very bizarre...

IMO, you don't teach someone to not be a spazz/dick, by being one yourself. And sometimes things can't really be explained verbally either. So imagine how you would like him to move, and do that when working with him. He may start to wonder why he can't beat you when he is trying his hardest and all you do is chill, and tap him out. Lead by example. Phone Post

Also, I find chokes work better than armlocks for these situations. Phone Post

you went too far man!

I think you might need to be a little rougher with him

side control pressure him until his lungs collapse or he shits himself. 

Ask him if he enjoys BJJ.

Ask him if he enjoys what he is learning.

Ask him if he respects the sport and the art and knows its origins.

Explain to him, spazzing is not a part of that. Relaxation is. Knowing HOW and when to use strength with technique is.

Obviously you'll need to be creative how you talk to him about this because a straight up, sit down discussion will get lost and ignored by the typical 15-yr olds.

The best thing would be pressure from the top.....

If you play a slow tight game and control from side mount with tons of pressure he will have a hard time to breath.

He will really be forced to breath hard and deep and it mostly triggers a psycho physical prozess in his body.

When I do this I listen very carefully to the sound people make. There is a point in which a normal grunting from pressure will change into a very different sound which is kind of scary.

At this point ypu know his controlled mind slowly looses his tight ego grip.

Sometimes emotions come up and the person will be angry or crying, or laughing but after the session he will be more nice and friendly.....

Kinf of bioenergetical body therapy.

DanHendersonsAsymetricSmile - So for nobody to waste time answering seriously he's trying to make fun of me, but it's ok i had a laugh too

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=11&thread=1942027&page=1
its kinda funny,right?  u did good yonugblood

Of course it's important to ask him to slow down, and explain the reasons why, but if he decides not to listen and continues to be disrespectful after we roll I'm putting him to sleep.....or close to it. That should do the trick. Of course that's a last resort after all other options have failed and his spazzing is putting others at risk of getting hurt.