How to deal with a gym bully

Hi guys,

I recently had an encounter with a gym bully and I'm wondering if that ever happened to you, and how you dealt with the situation.

I chose to ignore it and let the bully run his mouth and not go to that gym anymore, it's a shame too because it's a newly opened gym and the coach over there just lets his members act like this and even defends them.

So what's your story?

This guy threw elbows and knees and kicks 110%. So when we were sparring, i threw an uppercut as hard as i could, KO'd him. Last time he went hard like that again... Phone Post 3.0

gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.

kao - gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.

No it's not, it's the worst of the worst and should never be happening in an martial arts gym.

Cyboth - 
kao - gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.

No it's not, it's the worst of the worst and should never be happening in an martial arts gym.

If the coach knows and does not care then transfer to another gym. It really is your only viable solution unless you are one of the top guys at the gym, but since you are being bullied you are probably a guy who does not garner much if any respect there. So leave.

The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0

A good coach won't put up with that. Phone Post 3.0

billcosbiguez - 
Cyboth - 

If the coach knows and does not care then transfer to another gym. It really is your only viable solution unless you are one of the top guys at the gym, but since you are being bullied you are probably a guy who does not garner much if any respect there. So leave.

I only went there once and I'm not planning on showing up any time soon.

Thanks for the advice!

RPBJJ - A good coach won't put up with that. Phone Post 3.0

Good point.

chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0
Yep. Phone Post 3.0

SpicyTaco20 - This guy threw elbows and knees and kicks 110%. So when we were sparring, i threw an uppercut as hard as i could, KO'd him. Last time he went hard like that again... Phone Post 3.0
Handled like an adult... You are a fucking idiot! Knocking people out in training is the dumbest shit ever, be the bigger man and walk away from stupid confrontation. You wont last long in any martial arts with that kind of mentality... Phone Post 3.0

chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0
This basically explains my gym .
Coach make sure No one acts a fool .
I've noticed it's mostly new guys that act like assholes , And if so coach will calmly pull one of us aside and green lights the guy then switch us during sparring Its Called Gym Justice Phone Post 3.0

Cyboth - Hi guys,

I recently had an encounter with a gym bully and I'm wondering if that ever happened to you, and how you dealt with the situation.

I chose to ignore it and let the bully run his mouth and not go to that gym anymore, it's a shame too because it's a newly opened gym and the coach over there just lets his members act like this and even defends them.

So what's your story?

More details man. What happened exactly? You said this was the first time you went to this gym? I wouldn't let it deter you right away - could be any number of scenarios with any number of solutions... only one of which involves "leaving and never going back".

was it a rough roll, a sparring session with a few too many zingers or was he whispering in your ear while kicking your ass? Were others around?

uberpinscher - 
Cyboth - Hi guys,

So what's your story?

More details man. What happened exactly? You said this was the first time you went to this gym? I wouldn't let it deter you right away - could be any number of scenarios with any number of solutions... only one of which involves "leaving and never going back".

was it a rough roll, a sparring session with a few too many zingers or was he whispering in your ear while kicking your ass? Were others around?

It only happened after, I'm not even sure if the guy knows I've been there.

It's all verbal attacks for now, I don't answer and they keep coming, I've also received threats of getting beat up.

So it's a few too many zingers to try to get me going.

Op do you have any Martial Arts background or was this your first experience? Phone Post 3.0

KapowZombie -
SpicyTaco20 - This guy threw elbows and knees and kicks 110%. So when we were sparring, i threw an uppercut as hard as i could, KO'd him. Last time he went hard like that again... Phone Post 3.0
Handled like an adult... You are a fucking idiot! Knocking people out in training is the dumbest shit ever, be the bigger man and walk away from stupid confrontation. You wont last long in any martial arts with that kind of mentality... Phone Post 3.0
Let him continue cutting people open with elbows and breaking noses with Knees? Uhm no Phone Post 3.0

jTheHybridwolff - Op do you have any Martial Arts background or was this your first experience? Phone Post 3.0

I've been training for about a year in various gyms, been following the sport forever.

I've very happy this was not my first experience because I would have probably never gone to another gym.

I would just ignore it but if it makes you uncomfortable tell the coach. Your there to have fun not deal with some bullshit. Maybe he's just trying to pick on the new guy maybe just see how long it goes on, if it's excessive then maybe tell your coach, if it was just some trash talking thats okay, but no need to threaten you. Must make him feel tough he probably didn't pull that shit his first day.

This Phone Post 3.0

Our coach regularly gets us to green light dickheads. He'll talk to us individually before sparring and tell us to go hard on him, and to make sure the top guys get to rough him up properly. Phone Post 3.0