How to deal with a gym bully

Tomas Andersson - So why did he start talking shit at first? Something happened?

Not that I know of.

The only thing I can think of is that he hates anybody that doesn't work at his gym. There could be a gym feud I'm not aware of and he's seen a picture of me training there, I really have no idea.

KapowZombie -
SpicyTaco20 - This guy threw elbows and knees and kicks 110%. So when we were sparring, i threw an uppercut as hard as i could, KO'd him. Last time he went hard like that again... Phone Post 3.0
Handled like an adult... You are a fucking idiot! Knocking people out in training is the dumbest shit ever, be the bigger man and walk away from stupid confrontation. You wont last long in any martial arts with that kind of mentality... Phone Post 3.0
Plenty of people in the martial arts excel with exactly that mentality. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it's far from unusual. Phone Post 3.0

Cyboth -
jTheHybridwolff - Op do you have any Martial Arts background or was this your first experience? Phone Post 3.0

I've been training for about a year in various gyms, been following the sport forever.

I've very happy this was not my first experience because I would have probably never gone to another gym.
I Only asked because some newer ppl can be overwhelmed , But as you stated verbal threats go beyond a guy going to hard on ya .
If you don't feel comfortable you should find a new gym.
You don't need that bs .
Stay with it my brother and keep on keepin on Phone Post 3.0

jTheHybridwolff - 
Cyboth -
jTheHybridwolff - Op do you have any Martial Arts background or was this your first experience? Phone Post 3.0

I've been training for about a year in various gyms, been following the sport forever.

I've very happy this was not my first experience because I would have probably never gone to another gym.
I Only asked because some newer ppl can be overwhelmed , But as you stated verbal threats go beyond a guy going to hard on ya .
You don't need that bs .

VU my man, I will keep at it.

At Cummings combat sambo we don't have any bullies if someone comes in acting crazy one of the instructors puts them in their place by smashing if they don't get straight Phone Post

Shit in his locker. Phone Post 3.0

Cyboth -
jTheHybridwolff - 
Cyboth -

You don't need that bs .

VU my man, I will keep at it.
If the instructor is allowing physical or verbal bullying then you should leave you don't want to be associated with that gym bc they are clowns Phone Post

JBax1991 - Shit in his locker. Phone Post 3.0
Or this lol Phone Post

KapowZombie - 
SpicyTaco20 - This guy threw elbows and knees and kicks 110%. So when we were sparring, i threw an uppercut as hard as i could, KO'd him. Last time he went hard like that again... Phone Post 3.0
Handled like an adult... You are a fucking idiot! Knocking people out in training is the dumbest shit ever, be the bigger man and walk away from stupid confrontation. You wont last long in any martial arts with that kind of mentality... Phone Post 3.0

lol this hypocritical fool

KapowZombie -
I stopped reading the thread right here...

What the hell are you talking about? It is a rule in the gym that if you bully or get out of line and show a lack of respect for your teammates, you get touched up a little. It's like I tell guys that I'm not sure of before we spar, "I'll go as hard as you go." Phone Post

ProteinOverdrive - 
chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0

"All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice."

You forgot the best part. "Until it's time not to be nice."

Lots of good, level headed advice on here. I'd add the fact that anyone who is bullying away new customers will not be in business long. So there's that too.

You need a gym with a good feel, like one that is really laid back except hard on idiots. Generally it's the head coach that sets how it's going to go. I've seen our coach yelling at one of the pros who went too hard on an egotistical newbie - "that guy just left - he'll never come back. you get paid. is it all right with you if I get paid?" type of thing. but there is a difference between an enforcer and a bully. Look to the coach and a couple of his top guys for picking up the gym vibe. If they are cool and chill as well as being good (can't suck) then that's where you want to be. it's not worth it training with the wrong team on the karate kid for example.

Ghetto-Top-Team - 
ProteinOverdrive - 
chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0

"All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice."

You forgot the best part. "Until it's time not to be nice."

Lots of good, level headed advice on here. I'd add the fact that anyone who is bullying away new customers will not be in business long. So there's that too.

Those were my thoughts, I'm more concerned about others going in there to receive the same treatment.

You're being a bit vague here, and it's making me have a hard time deciding whether to empathize with you or declare you a big cry baby.

I agree there's no place for "gym bullies." However, it is a combat sport. Training in any aspect of MMA involves some direct competitive struggle and aggression. That overwhelms some folks, even when you're properly courteous and sportsmanlike about it.

So far, I know you went to this gym once, was somehow "bullied" in a way that you're unsure anyone even knows about, told no one and haven't explained to us, and you intend never to return.

You may be totally right about being bullied, but your solution (tell no one and never return) seems needlessly meek. Or maybe not . . . I just can't tell given the absence of facts. Phone Post 3.0

MTH - You're being a bit vague here, and it's making me have a hard time deciding whether to empathize with you or declare you a big cry baby.

I agree there's no place for "gym bullies." However, it is a combat sport. Training in any aspect of MMA involves some direct competitive struggle and aggression. That overwhelms some folks, even when you're properly courteous and sportsmanlike about it.

So far, I know you went to this gym once, was somehow "bullied" in a way that you're unsure anyone even knows about, told no one and haven't explained to us, and you intend never to return.

You may be totally right about being bullied, but your solution (tell no one and never return) seems needlessly meek. Or maybe not . . . I just can't tell given the absence of facts. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not really asking for help so you call be a cry baby if you want, maybe I am.

I'm more concerned about the image the gym could have in my community about MMA.

Cyboth - 
MTH - You're being a bit vague here, and it's making me have a hard time deciding whether to empathize with you or declare you a big cry baby.

I'm not really asking for help so you call be a cry baby if you want, maybe I am.

I'm more concerned about the image the gym could have in my community about MMA.

I'm not calling you a cry baby and have no desire to do so.  I'm just saying I can't tell.  You could be utterly justified, perhaps you endured more than anyone ever should . . . but I can't form an opinion one way or the other because I'm lacking real facts. 

This goes to your main concern as well.  If you're being a "cry baby" and whining about "bullying" that was really nothing or a total misunderstanding, then I would expect the culture of gym would have no negative impact on the image of MMA in your community.  On the other hand, if the bullying was obvious, clear, inappropriate, wrong, and embedded in the culture of the gym, well, then your concerns about the impact the gym could have on the image of MMA in your community may be well grounded. 

What happened??  Why do you think it happened?  What, if anything, did you do to resolve it other than simply walking silently away?  Have you spoken about it with anybody since?

u are right - is it someone who is rough around the edges giving you a little verbal ribbing in the locker room? I know when I see a super newb come into the gym I make sure I am extra welcoming, extra friendly, etc... But some guys don't get it...

Some guys think they are just talking some shit to the new guy in a casual way - yes it may be a little harsh, but you should also try to make sure if it happens in the future that you simply let it roll off your back, throw a few comebacks his way, keep it lighthearted and casual.

what was that about OP thinking the guy saw him at another gym? Did OP leave another gym recently and now trying to join a competeing gym? What belt is he? does he compete?

what specifically and exactly happened to the OP? likewise I am unsure if OP reaction was warranted or being a softy.

ProteinOverdrive -

Winner. Vu Phone Post 3.0

MTH - 
Cyboth - 

I'm not calling you a cry baby and have no desire to do so.  I'm just saying I can't tell.  You could be utterly justified, perhaps you endured more than anyone ever should . . . but I can't form an opinion one way or the other because I'm lacking real facts. 

This goes to your main concern as well.  If you're being a "cry baby" and whining about "bullying" that was really nothing or a total misunderstanding, then I would expect the culture of gym would have no negative impact on the image of MMA in your community.  On the other hand, if the bullying was obvious, clear, inappropriate, wrong, and embedded in the culture of the gym, well, then your concerns about the impact the gym could have on the image of MMA in your community may be well grounded. 

What happened??  Why do you think it happened?  What, if anything, did you do to resolve it other than simply walking silently away?  Have you spoken about it with anybody since?

The person used facebook to make sure everyone saw what he was saying, including the threats, on the actual gym page.

I'm not the only one it happened to.

It was all posted out in the open and the head coach defended his actions, this is mostly why I didn't want to get involved.

uberpinscher: I'm really not sure, It's really the only reason I can think of because I know nothing about that person, and he knows nothing about me.

I have no intention of fighting, never had any, I'm in this because I love the sport and the camaraderie.

Cyboth - 
MTH - 
Cyboth - 

<br />
        I'm not really asking for help so you call be a cry baby if you want, maybe I am.<br />
        <br />
        I'm more concerned about the image the gym could have in my community about MMA.</blockquote>
    <br />
    <p>
        I'm not calling you a cry baby and have no desire to do so.&nbsp; I'm just saying I can't tell.&nbsp; You could be utterly justified, perhaps you endured more than anyone ever should . . . but I can't form an opinion one way or the other because I'm lacking real facts.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>
        This goes to your main concern as well.&nbsp; If you're being a &quot;cry baby&quot; and whining about &quot;bullying&quot; that was really nothing or a total misunderstanding, then I would expect&nbsp;the culture of gym would have no negative impact on the image of MMA in your community.&nbsp; On the other hand, if the bullying was obvious, clear, inappropriate, wrong, and embedded in the culture of the gym, well, then your concerns about the impact the gym could have on the image of MMA in your community may be well grounded.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>
        What happened??&nbsp; Why do you think it happened?&nbsp; What, if anything, did you do to resolve it other than simply walking silently away?&nbsp; Have you spoken about it with anybody since?</p>
</blockquote>
<br />
The person used facebook to make sure everyone saw what he was saying, including the threats, on the actual gym page.<br />
<br />
I'm not the only one it happened to.<br />
<br />
It was all posted out in the open and the head coach defended his actions, this is mostly why I didn't want to get involved.<br />
<br />
uberpinscher: I'm really not sure, It's really the only reason I can think of because I know nothing about that person, and he knows nothing about me.<br />
<br />
I have no intention of fighting, never had any, I'm in this because I love the sport and the camaraderie.</blockquote>

Thanks.  Still light on facts, but that helps some.

So this is facebook bullying?  As in, the guy makes threats to new students on the gym's facebook page, and when those students respond or complain, the instructor then defends the threats as appropriate and proper?  So the guy trains with newbs at the gym, beats them up, and then threatens them on the gym's facebook page with a worse beating if they ever return?

Do I have that correctly? 

If so, it sounds almost unbelievable.  I've never heard of a gym owner (or somebody who works closely with the owner) encouraging senior students to make new students feel unwelcome and intimidated.  Perhaps it was just a joke?

Assuming it's serious, then clearly you've got to move on to another gym.  And I wouldn't worry about the impact of this on your community's opinion of MMA, as there's nothing you can really do in this regard.  Just assume this type of behavior will eventually be weeded out, if for no other reason than the inability to keep new students means the gym will soon bankrupt itself.