How to deal with a gym bully

OP, what's the name of the gym and location?

Who's the coach?

I had no involvement with the guy other than saying hi to him when I trained there once, he seemed like a good person at first, I could have been someone who's never trained in a gym before and he would have done the same thing.

Some of my friends are still on the fence about joining a class and saw what was going on.

I had to explain to some of them that this behavior was not normal.

IN, this sounds interesting, gotta be nice to new students, the more sparing partners the better. Phone Post 3.0

Its not about if the person attending the gym is a gamer or not. It is about respecting other people and being a decent person. That is what Martial Arts is about and the people that don't understand that are the ones that shouldn't be in the gym. Frankly, if the person in charge at the gym doesn't enforce that they you should probably look elsewhere.

There are a lot of people out there that like to bully others, and many people that just don't like confrontation so they put up with it. It doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't take that bully out. Seen it happen many times that sooner or later too many buttons get pushed and the bully ends up getting their ass kicked.

not enough info for anyone to know what you are talking about or offer good, specific advice. Could be a lawsuit for threats against you... could be you are in need of toughening up or moving along.

chew22 - You need a gym with a good feel, like one that is really laid back except hard on idiots. Generally it's the head coach that sets how it's going to go. I've seen our coach yelling at one of the pros who went too hard on an egotistical newbie - "that guy just left - he'll never come back. you get paid. is it all right with you if I get paid?" type of thing. but there is a difference between an enforcer and a bully. Look to the coach and a couple of his top guys for picking up the gym vibe. If they are cool and chill as well as being good (can't suck) then that's where you want to be. it's not worth it training with the wrong team on the karate kid for example.
Well said and that's how it should be and how it is in almost all good gyms Phone Post

so to clarify, this guy threatened you on facebook?

you are being very vague, and that does not help anyone who actually wants to give you advice.

what did he say, specifically?

A real coach won't put up with that shit. I usually will just not take them seriously and just try new things on them. Oblique kicks and jabbing the shit out of them will normally piss them off enough to tone it down a notch. Phone Post 3.0

I haven't read every post, so maybe this has been covered, but have you ever talked to him about this? Does he know he is being a bully Phone Post 3.0

kao - gym bully is ok should toughen you up a bit. so stop being a silly. i mean how bad can it be. you need to come out of your cage tiger.
That has no place in a martial arts gym. That's the worst mentality. Respect everyone as you would like to be respected. Phone Post 3.0

Hey Larusso we need more details, and maybe you should tell us the gyms name

Don't go to that fucking gym my coach would of had a personal sparring session with him Phone Post 3.0

The trouble with sparring is that some people don't realize how hard they are throwing until they knock someone out. Some don't care!

It's easy to say don't hit any harder than you want to be hit but that is perspective.

It takes a 3rd party to monitor the sparring and pull the offending party to the side and check him. If that doesn't work then they'll need a green light and if that doesn't work then it's time for them to leave.

Sparring should be about sharpening your skills with throttled contact based on your skill level and shouldn't go over 60-70% IMHO.

The only folks that should be going anywhere near 100% are professionals preparing for a fight. Phone Post 3.0

GUVE ME MIAR DEETS Phone Post 3.0

ProteinOverdrive -
chadk - The gyms I've trained at generally have "enforcers" there who keep such assholes in line. These guys aren't bullies and are generally good to train with but will check attitudes with a swiftness when necessary. Phone Post 3.0

"All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice."
Wait..... Roadhouse? Phone Post 3.0

There's a fine line between being a bully and training hard to weed out posers, also If you have a fight coming up you should get latitude going full speed Phone Post 3.0

mclay - The trouble with sparring is that some people don't realize how hard they are throwing until they knock someone out. Some don't care!

It's easy to say don't hit any harder than you want to be hit but that is perspective.

It takes a 3rd party to monitor the sparring and pull the offending party to the side and check him. If that doesn't work then they'll need a green light and if that doesn't work then it's time for them to leave.

Sparring should be about sharpening your skills with throttled contact based on your skill level and shouldn't go over 60-70% IMHO.

The only folks that should be going anywhere near 100% are professionals preparing for a fight. Phone Post 3.0

this.best post on this thread

There is a guy at my gym who is always careful with me 'cuz I school him, but he goes batshit when he rolls with my lesser skilled friend. One time my buddy got his back and he stood up and jumped backwards to slam him. Fortunately the instructor pulled him aside later and he cooled down, but I was ready to green light him myself.

Bullies can be calculated about who they push around. Clearly, they don't try to pick on the instructors. Given the nature of mma traneing bullies either get humbled or they leave once they get green lighted.

fos Phone Post 3.0

5 o clock shadow - There is a guy at my gym who is always careful with me 'cuz I school him, but he goes batshit when he rolls with my lesser skilled friend. One time my buddy got his back and he stood up and jumped backwards to slam him. Fortunately the instructor pulled him aside later and he cooled down, but I was ready to green light him myself.

Bullies can be calculated about who they push around. Clearly, they don't try to pick on the instructors. Given the nature of mma traneing bullies either get humbled or they leave once they get green lighted.

fos Phone Post 3.0
That's such bullshit - I've had a guy try to fly back and slam me when I was on his back - it rattled me a bit but I maintained position and finished the choke.

To be honest I think it's partially the responsibility if the senior guys at the gym to help "steer" these assholes back to sensibility. If that means tapping them by chest suffocation ur shoulder pressure to the jaw when they are acting a fool then so be it Phone Post 3.0

Fuck his girlfriend and sister at same time Phone Post 3.0