How to deal with dead people's creditors?

The former owner of the house I live in has been dead for 5 years. I recently started receiving bills from the phone company & opened one without initially noticing it was in her name. I saw it's basically 5 years' worth of late charges on a next to nothing final balance. I made the mistake of calling the phone company to clarify she's dead & I have/had no relationship, business or personal with her, so please quit sending me her bills, (& while you're at it, maybe close the account.)

Within 24 hours, I received calls from all sorts of her creditors.

Do I have anything to worry about now, or do I just ignore daily annoying phone calls from debt collectors for the next 2-3 years?

PS Fuck CenturyLink. I'm closing my account with you dumb fucks forever.

Im sure you have nothing to worry about, that was just her last known address Phone Post

You're going to have to tell those companies she is dead.

I know if it's a relative of yours, you can just send them a copy of the death certificate.

Run up more bills in her name Phone Post

all you will worry about is people annoying you, it's not like you're liable for a dead persons bills whom you have no relation to.

Obviously they can't transfer debt to your name just because you live in her former address. It's gonna be annoying as fuck dealing with collectors, though. Maybe you can threaten to sue them for harassment?

"Run up more bills in her name "

I like the cut of your jib.

My advice is to be truthful with them when they call.

If you can lead them to the appropriate person to deal with it may minimize the calls to you.

If you know of the person who handled her estate let them know that they may want to handle that.

Obviously though you are not responsible for a dead persons debt whom you were not related to.

"Obviously they can't transfer debt to your name just because you live in her former address. It's gonna be annoying as fuck dealing with collectors, though. Maybe you can threaten to sue them for harassment?"

"Threaten to sue" guy is nothing but hilarious to a debt collector. & yes I know LEGALLY they can't transfer the debt.

I'm kinda asking if I have to worry about anyone trying.

They may not be afraid of threats to sue, but one of them that a doctor falsely reported me to sure tucked dick quickly when I sent a letter citing provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and closed the letter by informing them that the next letter I wrote would be sent to the state attorney general.

Basically, stupid MD office thought my permanent address was too far away and sent the account to collections without ever sending one bill. When I called the collection agency, they threatened to communicate the debt to credit reporting agencies in the next week if I did not pay with a huge surcharge added. FRCA requires that they give you 30 DAYS to dispute.

Shortly after I sent my letter, I got a letter from the debt collector that they kicked it back to the hospital and wanted no part of it. A few weeks later, I got a letter from the hospital CEO stating that they made an error and had 3 chances to catch it and failed.

FDCPA is your friend here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Debt_Collection_Practices_Act

They are required to cease all communications upon your request. Any time someone calls, keep a log of the company, person you spoke to, company address and time. Advise them that the debt is for a former owner of the home and that you #1 dispute the debt because it is a former owner and #2 that you request no future communications.

If they contact you again send a certified mail letter disputing the debt and requesting no further contact, stating that you will cc the attorney general on the next one.

Should be the end of your problem pretty soon (at least it was for mine).

BarkLikeADog - "Obviously they can't transfer debt to your name just because you live in her former address. It's gonna be annoying as fuck dealing with collectors, though. Maybe you can threaten to sue them for harassment?"

"Threaten to sue" guy is nothing but hilarious to a debt collector. & yes I know LEGALLY they can't transfer the debt.

I'm kinda asking if I have to worry about anyone trying.

Is it really? Can't you get on a DNC list or something?

You seem pretty sure she's dead...
Tell us where she's buried OP. Phone Post 3.0

When my dad died I would tell them, he's dead and you're out of luck then hang up. Easy Peasy. Phone Post 3.0

Lol Phone Post

If they persist tell them to never call you again. Get a lawyer and tell them to call him if they keep calling. If u wanted to research some fdcpa laws and recite them to the collector that will stifle them. Phone Post

change your phone number and issue a change of address in her name to the post office, change it to anywhere, the post office will forward all her mail to there instead of your place and you will no longer recieve phone calls from the creditors.

and yes, fuck century link