How to deal with failure?

How do you deal with failure?

What do you do when you make a mistake in a fight?

the mistake was probably made because i wasnt prepared/comfortable in that position. what i do is train with an emphasis in becoming very comfortable, if not completely competent in that position. hope that helps.

I'll try to give my lousy answer to

'What do you do when you make a mistake in a fight?'

Hmmm, let me think first before writing....

A 'mistake' in a fight is when a tactic does not go as planned, as you intend a tactic to. A mistake could be a failed defensive/offensive tactic or a counter to an opponent's tactic.

For example, you launch a punch to an opponent. The opponent evades the punch. Your 'mistake' is not landing the punch. The opponent is now in a good position to counter, since you're now perceived as more vulnerable, and at this point, to counter his counter, you'll have to improvise from your current position, I think... You can't always assume that you'll be fighting from an 'optimal position'. To recover from your 'disadvantageous' position, your movement must be continuous and flowing, and not jerky,so that the improvised counter will not be delayed (no paused). At the same time, when moving to improvise your counter, I think you have to exhale throughout the movement, because holding your breath would limit your movement (making your counter to likely not be as successful).

Train from disadvantageous situation. Tactics should flow from each other (whether failed or successful). Reintegrate your breathing, movement and alignment. Improvise from your 'mistake'.

I wish I could write more, but right now I'm quite busy. Sorry if my answer is not what you're looking for. I just wrote it from the top of my head and haven't given it that much thought yet.

when I make a mistake in a fight I either clinch and stall... I try to regain my barrings... but if it's a match then before the match I have already planned out different attacks from different postions.. that way I have ideas of what I need to doo before hand...

I will try a stab at this. I don't train for techs., I try to put "default programs" into my game. For instance, I focus on the concepts of immobilizations...when pinned, I go down my mental checklist to break the oppt's advantage. I have a switch that gives me directives to accomplish when I am placed in disadvantaged positions. I don't choose a tech, I choose a strategy (pre-planned, pre-trained) to get back into the fight. This focuses my actions to rectify the problem, not dwell on my situation. I believe athletes stall in place when they make a mistake...they mentally chastise themselves/berate themselves/engage in negative self talk and self pity. They could have/should have gotten busy with a strategy to pull themselves out of their predicament. By training the what if variables/probabilities that come up in a fight...the athlete can recover faster, if it is trained physically (technical skill), emotionally (psychological skills) and mentally (strategical pre-planning). If you train the armbar from guard, you have to address the mechanics. This is where most people stall their training, repeating hundreds of reps. But, what is his most likely responses to your armbar attempt? Where do you proceed from each of those responses? What is your strategy to snare the arm? Do you possess the confidence to come out of your foxhole and go for the armbar? What if you miss? Where do you go? These all affect your application of just ONE sub! They must be covered in your practice so you possess the mechanical skill to accomplish the sub/the confidence to go for it and survive the consequences of the attempt and the mental where with all to process the visual and tactile cues as they come in (in the moment!). I don't think most of what we categorize is truly a "mistake" per se...just a failure to pre-plan on our part. Each time we fight or roll, we face dozens of "oh shit" moments. It is our response and recovery to those moments that defines our skills as fighters/sportsmen. Hope this wasn't too rambling! I haven't gotten to sleep in 24 plus hours (paramedic). Am going to bed now! :-)

I try to keep it in perspective as a learning experience. Then I go back to my training and do my best to ensure I won't make the same mistake again.

Jeff

A couple other thoughts I forgot to mention. When preparing for comps, I would list threee columns...one for technical, another for conditioning, and the third for mental/strategy. I would list 2-3 performance goals I wanted to accomplish in preparing for my event. I would train around this blueprint. This focused my training and gave me a yardstick to measure my progress. After the comp, I would debrief my performance. Did I achieve my performance goals? Why not? Etc. With every competition I did, I gradually improved by applying this approach. To be certain, I lost my share of matches but I steadily got better. I remember a quote that goes something like this, a mistake is evidence someone has tried to achieve something. It's easy to go undefeated, don't fight/compete. Like was stated by Clinch and Hit, how you view mistakes can be positive or negative. Finally, most people freak at making a mistake during a match. Truth is, mistakes/failures are inevitable during rolling/competing. It is a constant, I believe, that should be trained for and dealt with...mentally and physically.

Tysaw,
I own the performance spiral and the Dykhanie tapes, can you email me the how you put these to use in your training prior to the Pan am's?
todavids@cisco.com

Todd

I throw a hissyfit until my demand for "do overs" is met. Just Kidding

LOL

td11, I will email in a day or two!
Bruce

Scott Sonnon:
my ultimate gappling shoes work good but the ankle protectors have fallen out and the stitching is coming out a bit. are they warrantied or someting.i've only used them around 8 practices.

Jeremiah Cram

Jeremiah, email info@RMAX.tv, for Nikolay Travkin, the company President. We'll get you a replacement set pronto. Every now and then we encounter a defective pair. My apologies.