How to escape Bas Rutten's infamous submission

I remember a few years ago someone here asked how to escape this and nobody had any answers. Here’s a video from Renzo with an escape:

4 Likes

I dont know how i feel about this. If its locked in by a strong judo guy or wrestler i think your fd

1 Like

Saw Bas posted this in the comments:

BasRutten5 months ago

First, it’s for without a gi. Second, they are doing it wrong. And it’s not a neck crank indeed, it just stops your chest from expanding therefore you can’t inhale anymore (lungs are two just bags, there is zero muscle in your lungs, without chest expansion your lungs stop working) so you can hold the move for as long as you can hold your breath, once you exhale, you can’t inhale anymore. OK, when I have his head with my right arm, I roll him onto his shoulderblades (so i roll to the right) and put my head against his head (skull against skull). This way he can’t peel the arm off and he also can’t throw his left leg over my head. I never tried it with a gi, but believe if you do it like I just said it will work with a gi as well, not certain though, I will try it! Godspeed. Oh, and you do this to me? I have a counter and will probably submit you or otherwise will have a great positing over you! Godspeed, OSU

3 Likes

hahaha no

That was me!

I found an escape back then. Thanks for posting this one.

3 Likes

I would just rake the eyes & strike a pressure point fully disabling my attacker.

5 Likes

That can be done with a Gi. I learned it in Judo class.

1 Like

I remembered that thread because it was unusual to see all the legitimate experts here without an answer. What was the escape you found back then? It sounds like this one is not that functional lol

I guess I shouldn’t say I found it. Someone else posted it on that thread…

There’s a small window when you sniff it out to pull this off. Once they pin your shoulders you’re effed.

Here’s the original thread.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

1 Like

Actually surprised that in hindsight i dont think this move has ever become a flavor of the month in bjj circles with a bunch of guys pulling it off in tournies and releasing instructional vids on how its going to fundamentally change bjj and side control

1 Like

I escape it by not being there!

Just kidding (kind of)…IN for later…

I think it’s because nobody wants to hold kesa gatame without that BJJ far arm control. BJJ guys seem to have a revulsion to the Judo version, even though it’s not just a pin: it’s a great counter and a great attack position.

1 Like