How to escape the clinch....

Hey gang, just wondering if you could pass on some advice on the best techniques to escape the clinch.

Obviously ducking to get out exposes you to nasty knees and if you can't punch your way out is the best thing to try to fight for underhooks or attempt a takedown?

What are your thoughts on the best ways to escape a tight clinch without getting your face rearranged?

Are you talking about a Muay Thai Clinch?

If you watched WEC last night, Mir stated that rubbing your knob up against your opponents is the correct way to avoid the knees while in this position. If you're shorter than your opponent, you can rub your belly on his grogan to avoid the knees, or if you're taller just rub your inner thigh against his dong.

I'm not really sure how to get out of it, Mir didn't say, but I would imagine there's some kind of pecker work happening in that regard too.

first, you want to "hug" your opponent tight to avoid the knees.

Then, take one of your hands and press it across their face, pushing it to one side. This may work on it's own as it is very uncomfortable.

There are lots of options from here.

I like to drive my elbow of the arm I have over top down into the clinching arm.

You can also twist and bend their clinching arm inside and up (hard to describe this one). This will hyperextend their shoulder.

Lastly, I also often will step in sideways when they throw the knee, basically getting their crotch up on my hip. You can get a good throw from there sometimes.

Sometimes "in" is the best way "out".

Try practicing and learning some thai clinch techniques to incorporate in to your game better. Learning the clinch game is one of your best bets.

There are some good ways out, but a great clinch guy has attacks in and out of the clinch so you can still get caught there too.

lol @ pecker work

search muay thai clinch on youtube. the better ones are the oc muay thai clip, and the yves edwards clip.

Place your right hand in the crook of their left elbow, place your left hand in his right armpit, then perform Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi barai or Hiza guruma.

Oh, in BJJ, I think they call those techniques something like, "Fantaso Plata" and "Dodo Plata" or some other ridiculous name.

raise your arms up and yell "explosion!" and in a flash of blinding light I swear he'll be thrown across the room and he'll be all like, "WTF?"

60% of the time, it works EVERYTIME.

ttt for the Chi Ball defense!

want to learn about the clinch?

bring Neal Rowe in for a seminar
or matt hume

watch anderson silva vs chonan

chonan beat anderson's clinch by hipping in, throwing a knee of his own, then shooting a takedown right away

get inside control and get your own clinch and then you can back out if you want or keep the clinch

If you cross face an experienced Muay Thai fighter they can turn that into an even tighter, more uncomfortable clinch from which they can brutalize you.

I'm not one of those experienced fighters, but my trainer saw a guy cross facing me during clinch work the other night and came over and showed me what to do. I'll never cross face an opponent after seeing that.

In theory, a well applied shoulder pivot should get you out of a standard clinch.

TITTY TWISTER   

TACO(tm)

headbutt the knees

I just try and blast up on their arms and walk my legs close but at the same time duck a little and push or just push in and collaspe their clinch and get double under hooks.

Just having a knee up is a good defense against my move but if you don't bring a knee up for defense or to knee me, you will probably be on your back quickly.

There is no one way. The clinchis very fluid and you need to not only know several moves but how to defend the counters and to know when and how to transition to another when one simply isn't going to work.

"Then, take one of your hands and press it across their face, pushing it to one side."

This can work (I do it) but if they guy actually know what he is doing you will find it dificult to push on his head and if you are able to, there are some devistating counters that put you in an even worse position you need to be aware of so you can avoid them.

Your best bet is to train with someone who really understands clinching there is a lot to learn.

yeah that crossface push doesn't work all that well if the guy can handle a little pressure on his face. your 1 arm can't control him like his 2 on your neck can control you, if he wrestles it can help him spin to an angle to take you down for back control.

Double underhooks is a dominant position and it makes the person think twice about even clinching at all.

Here's a youtube playlist I made; it's all instructional striking videos and it has a few MT clinch videos on it:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=82DFDBB506D280DE

Here's an MT book that has a section on the MT clinch; IMO, it's the best MT book out right now:

http://astore.amazon.com/wwwsamuraifig-20/detail/0071464999/105-2830777-1333242