how to find target heart rate?

whats the equation to find your target heart rate for fat burning?

thanks!

What sort of cardio are you doing?

And haha, the shit you eat in those Single Man Food Reviews isn't going to help ;-)... even though those threads are hysterical.

Well, I might as well just answer your question --

Don't get caught up in that whole "fat burning zone," thing. The bottom line when it comes to fat loss is kcals ingested versus kcals spent.

Keep your diet clean, incorporate some high intensity intervals (which is far superior for fat loss compared to low intensity, steady-state cardio like you're doing now), and hit the weights a few times a week. Thats all that is..

Ask if you need further assistance. Good luck.

1. "The bottom line when it comes to fat loss is kcals
ingested versus kcals spent."

2. "high intensity intervals (which is far superior for fat loss
compared to low intensity, steady-state cardio "

Could you elaborate on how you see these two statements
both being true? I agree with #1, and I see various people
on here say #2 all the time, but I don't see how they can both
be true.

Certainly HIIT training will burn many more cals per hour
than low intensity cardio, but at the same time an HIIT
workout is much shorter in duration than a lower intensity
cardio workout.

If we use Taku's HIIT workouts as an example, we are talking
about only 5-10 minutes of actual high intensity work.

If HIIT burns approximately 1000 cals per hour, but only lasts
10 minutes, you burn 167 cals. This would be less for the
shorter workouts. Even if you add in the 5 minute warm up
and 5 minute cool down at say 400 cals per hour, you burn
another 66 cals. That makes the total 233.

If low intensity cardio burns 450 cals per hour, but you do it
for 40 minutes, you burn about 300 cals.

By your statement #1, that fat loss is about kcals spent, then
the low intensity workout should be better for fat loss.

Have I misunderstood something here?

The total amount of fat and calories burned as a result of the HIIT is greater because post-exercise period must be factored in and excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) taken into account.

Tremblay et al. found that subjects who performed a HIIT program showed a ninefold greater decrease in the sum of six subcutaneous skinfolds relative to a group of subjects that performed an endurance training program.

Also, ever notice how you don't see aerobic instructors w/ less than 20% body fat? Haha, then look at sprinters.

Hi,

First lets answer the Heart-Rate question. I think the best way to determine ones target heart rate zones is by using the Karvonen formula. It takes into account ones resting heart rate, rather then just subtracting ones age from a chart.

It look s like this:
Definition: The mathematical formula that uses maximum heart rate minus resting heart rate to determine target heart rate.

Below is an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute.):

220 - 23 (age) = 197
197 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 132
132 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 85.8 OR 112.2
85.8 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 150
112.2 + 65 (rhr) = 177
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 150 to 177
I hope that is clear.

Now, on to the next little question.

The primary substrate burned (fat / carbs) during exercise is less important then the total calories expended.

H.I.I.T. style training is more effective for fat loss because it causes a post exercise caloric burn that can last for several hours or more.

If you take two groups and have one follow an L.S.D. protocol and the other H.I.I.T. Given the same total caloric burn during the exercise bout, the H.I.I.T. group will burn more calories post exercise.

H.I.I.T. training is more effcient, and more specific to MMA training as well (which is what most of us are interested in here).

Pau for Now.

Taku.

Ryno and Taku,

Thanks for the good answers! I will read up on the post
exercise calorie usage.