How To Get The Keenan Cornelius DVD

It's probably just the way Jordan makes money and allows him to train full-time.

When the marketing becomes the focus of what appears to be a damn good product by a world-class competitor, it's a sign that the approach should probably be shelved.

You guys are better than the myopic smoke and mirrors hustle. Way better. I like almost every thing I have seen about the vids and I am sure it will be an awesome set.

ttt

krept - When the marketing becomes the focus of what appears to be a damn good product by a world-class competitor, it's a sign that the approach should probably be shelved.

You guys are better than the myopic smoke and mirrors hustle. Way better. I like almost every thing I have seen about the vids and I am sure it will be an awesome set.

100% agree.

James

For these guys who left TLI you would think they wouldn't keep up with the same marketing tactics, it just comes off really bad

checkuroil - Pressing DVDs, how does it work Phone Post 3.0

It works like this. You send in your master copy. Usually you have to make them in batches of 500 to 1000. The more you make the less expensive it is. Takes about 2 weeks. Maybe less depends on how busy the place is.

I think this is why we keep seeing only 500 copies available or limited runs. Yes of course they can make more. And if the demand is there I am sure they will but for now it looks like they made 500 and when those sell out they will determine is there is demand to make another 500.

At the 500 range i would guess they pay about $2 a disc. So a 5 disk set costs $10. So $5000 each run. plus shipping bla bla bla

So at the end of the 500 they sell they have to make the choice of if it is going to be profitable to spend another $5000 to make more.

I have made a lot of DVDs and these days rarely do you sell more than 500 of a title.

Unfortunately after the first batch goes out they end up all over there torrents and you hardly ever sell very many more. Just a couple trickel in here or there.

Torrens have ruined the BJJ & MMA DVD market sales. It is no longer a very profitable way to support yourself as a BJJ Guy.

On the Mat -

It works like this. You send in your master copy. Usually you have to make them in batches of 500 to 1000. The more you make the less expensive it is. Takes about 2 weeks. Maybe less depends on how busy the place is.

I think this is why we keep seeing only 500 copies available or limited runs. Yes of course they can make more. And if the demand is there I am sure they will but for now it looks like they made 500 and when those sell out they will determine is there is demand to make another 500.

At the 500 range i would guess they pay about $2 a disc. So a 5 disk set costs $10. So $5000 each run. plus shipping bla bla bla

So at the end of the 500 they sell they have to make the choice of if it is going to be profitable to spend another $5000 to make more.

I have made a lot of DVDs and these days rarely do you sell more than 500 of a title.

Unfortunately after the first batch goes out they end up all over there torrents and you hardly ever sell very many more. Just a couple trickel in here or there.

Torrens have ruined the BJJ & MMA DVD market sales. It is no longer a very profitable way to support yourself as a BJJ Guy.
Good answer Phone Post 3.0

@OTM
The first thing they should do is actually fill a Dvd.
Less discs = lower cost per run
Everyone puts out a multi set dvd but each disc is only 30/40 mins. Why? Phone Post

blackmonkey - 
On the Mat - 
GZFS - Here's what I don't understand; why would you make a product to generate money and then limit the distribution of that product? To create artificial demand?

I am personally tired of this type of marketing of goods. I'm interested in this set. Set up a website and I'll buy it. Keep up this "don't be the last" crap and I'll bootleg it. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one with this mindset.

Wow! Did you just threaten to steal his stuff just cause of his marketing? That is a bold and libelous statement to make on a public form.

So when these dvds end up on the torrents and I am sure they will. He can assume it was you and his Dad can contact his lawyers about the damages.

So not libel... But points for indignation

Maybe not? Im not a lawyer so IDK. But pretty fucked up if you ask me to tell a fellow martial artist that if you dont change your marketing Im stealing from you. :( Not So Budo

What Keenan is in his 20's trying to live the bjj dream. I been there, its hard as fuck. Its not like he is getting paid to win at IBJJF. He has to make cash anyway he can. he's not breaking any laws. Definitely hasnt done anything to deserve being ripped off or threatened to bootleg his hard work.

This hits close for me because Gumby & I have worked my ass off to make BJJ videos for years and all of our stuff has been stolen. I always work a split with the martial artist or the event so over the years we have lost a lot of money. But we still put in a lot of hard work and travel.

People ask me all the time why we dont make another 101 submissions or why we stopped doing video magazines and its because they stopped selling. Few people would by them and then torrent them and I would an extra 850 DVDs laying around and loose money on the project.

This is alway why the cost of DVDs has gone up so much because the sales have dropped 10 fold.

Whatever I have moved on to other ways to support my BJJ habit. But Keenan is young and needs to support his career. Shit when he came to Cali he was living in his car his sister gave him. Then he came by my warehouse to get gear cause he didnt have shit to train in.

JZilla - 

@OTM
The first thing they should do is actually fill a Dvd.
Less discs = lower cost per run
Everyone puts out a multi set dvd but each disc is only 30/40 mins. Why? Phone Post

A few reasons I can think of.

1) More discs you can charge more. Since there are so many people torrenting dvds you have to charge a lot more to get your money back out of them. Not a lot of people going to pay $100 for one dvd. The dvd duplication costs are not the big costs in doing this stuff. its the production and learning all the techniques over time.

2) It is much harder to torrent or copy multiple dvds. The more of a pain in the ass you can make ti the better. I learned this the hard way when I made 101 Subs 2. I paid the extra money to make it all fit on one DVD 10. Well what did that do.? it Made it twice as easy to copy. Im blond not so smart. Sales plummeted.

3) People love to complain. IDK why but people actually will say why did you make the dvd so long. WTF?? It seems people's attention spans are about 30 mins. I used to make 90-120 min dvds and people would say wow that dvd was really long. it would dumb found me. i dont like to get up and change the dvd all the time. im lazy i want to just sit there and watch as much as i can,

those are my guesses. Im out of the BJJ DVD business.

Sir Taps - 
krept - When the marketing becomes the focus of what appears to be a damn good product by a world-class competitor, it's a sign that the approach should probably be shelved.

100% agree.

James

Maybe not. This tread is still at the top of the page and has 2 pages of comments. While Stephan Kesting's thread has 9 replies and has fallen way down to the bottom of the page. Even though Kesting's has much better quality info on it.

So more people are finding out about Keenans dvd with this tread.

GZFS - ON THE MAT:

are ya trying to intimidate me? really? well one is sure, no one will be copying that "lucky gi".

No Im not trying to intimidate you? I dont even know you.

I just don't think its cool to publicly threaten to bootleg keenan's stuff and publicly declare you will be giving away his product. Thus lowering his sales. Im sure people read that you will be bootlegging his dvds and will wait to get them for free and not buy them.

The kid is a very hard working respectful guy. He just went through some fucking lame ass shit that was out of his control that shook up his whole world and family.

Maybe you think it is ok to bootleg or steel people's hard work. If that's your character, thats on you.

Maybe you never worked hard on something only to have someone steal if from you or maybe you never made anything worth stealing.

But you are saying you think it is dishonest to create artificial scarcity and then 2 seconds later talking about stealing it. Just came off as lame to me.

On the Mat - 
Sir Taps - 

100% agree.

James

Maybe not. This tread is still at the top of the page and has 2 pages of comments. While Stephan Kesting's thread has 9 replies and has fallen way down to the bottom of the page. Even though Kesting's has much better quality info on it.

True. But are those extra people reading this and thinking "awesome, I'm gonna get that DVD asap", or making an unfortunate association between Keenan and the snake oil of marketing that Jordon's using here?

As for the torrenting thing, I also agree it's not cool to come straight out and say "I'll wait and pirate it thanks", and that's coming from someone who's downloaded a shitload of instructionals. But I've also bought stuff too, especially from guys who I respect and who've sold their stuff at a reasonable price (like you guys did with Dave C's Position Impossible set). When some of those others sets were coming out at $150-200, it's not surprising that sales were poor. I do think it's a shame though when people pirate the cheaper stuff though, especially when it's been priced like that to make it accessible to people. No doubt I'm a massive hypocrite for bemoaning some downloading, but then doing it when it suits me.

James

Otm -
makes sense!

Also, (complete derail) any chance i could pay you retail for a copy of dengue fever. I'm buying others dvd from you online (I'm in the UK). I don't care if it's an avi file on a cd copy whatever, I just want to see it Phone Post

On the Mat - 

Thanks for posting this guys. I had the same thought, that they're obviously not printing an unlimited number of DVDs all at once, so there will always be an inherent scarcity built in.

As it's obvious you have your upfront costs in getting the DVDs printed/made, but I have no first hand experience doing this.

Sir Taps - 
On the Mat - 
Sir Taps - 

100% agree.

James

True. But are those extra people reading this and thinking "awesome, I'm gonna get that DVD asap", or making an unfortunate association between Keenan and the snake oil of marketing that Jordon's using here?

As for the torrenting thing, I also agree it's not cool to come straight out and say "I'll wait and pirate it thanks", and that's coming from someone who's downloaded a shitload of instructionals. But I've also bought stuff too, especially from guys who I respect and who've sold their stuff at a reasonable price (like you guys did with Dave C's Position Impossible set). When some of those others sets were coming out at $150-200, it's not surprising that sales were poor. I do think it's a shame though when people pirate the cheaper stuff though, especially when it's been priced like that to make it accessible to people. No doubt I'm a massive hypocrite for bemoaning some downloading, but then doing it when it suits me.

James

James,

thanks for the support. and i would be lying if i said i never torrented a movie or audio. I have even bought audio CDs after listening to them.

the reason the prices have gone up so much is because of the torrents. if i could still sell 1000 copies of 101 subs at 19.99 that would be great.

Dave's DVD is perfect example. That DVD sold like shit. maybe 300 copies. I still got tons of them becuase back then you had to make 1000 copies. Those dvds were pirated in like a week after they came out. :(

I dont think Dave or I would have ever made them if we knew how little we would have made off them. it was a lot of hard work and Dave even injured himself doing all those flying attacks over and over again! LOL Hence the warning on the dvd.

BTW if you find the easter egg on them you can see him crash land :)

IDK maybe i was out of line. It just hit a nerve with me openly telling people you were going to bootleg someones hard work.

JZilla - 

Otm -
makes sense!

Also, (complete derail) any chance i could pay you retail for a copy of dengue fever. I'm buying others dvd from you online (I'm in the UK). I don't care if it's an avi file on a cd copy whatever, I just want to see it Phone Post

JZilla,

I dont know if i have any left, i gave most of them away.

Ill look for you. can you email me scotty at onthemat dot com.

If i dont just torrent it man everyone else already has LOL

thanks for the support

Let me get this straight.....
There's only a limited amount of dvd's being made available?
There's no false scarcity?
Once they sell out, they're gone forever?
If I sign up for FREE videos I get on the priority FIRST NOTIFICATION LIST?

I'M SIGNING THE HELL UP BEFORE I MISS THIS TRAIN AND HATE MYSELF FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

ttt

DVD set drops next tuesday the 28th

I find it insane that people will buy the same Shoyoroll gi with a different color threading that has ZERO effect on their game, yet feel self righteous about tormenting instructionals that they can actually learn from.