How to improve your BJJ outside of the gym?

Sometimes I cant get enough BJJ in a week. My gym only has 5 classes a week for white belts with less than 2 stripes (and no rolling until you have 2 stripes) and I sometimes miss classes with travel for work. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas on how to improve your BJJ when you are not on the mats? I’m a newbie so any help from mentally understanding the sport better to helping flexibility would be awesome!

1. Find somewhere you can do drills like shrimping, level changes + shot, sit-outs, bridges, etc.

2. Visualize moves and sequences in your head over and over and over, each individual step. This goes a lot farther than you think in helping you build a muscle memory of sorts.

3. Stay fit with cardio and weight lifting. Pushups and squats in hotel rooms also work. Lots of stretching.

4. Watch BJJ matches. Watch BJJ instructionals. Watch wrestling matches and instructionals.

5. Obsess over which rashguard really defines you as a person.

3 Likes

indoor rock climbing. this is basically the same thing as bjj. You reach with your arms, push with your feet, keep your hips pushing in, work on grip strength, move towards a goal, rely on others to ensure your safety, stay calm etc. There are even the same terms like heel hook, toe hold, knee bar, arm bar etc.

Shadow drills, training videos, books and forums.

Go to other gyms’ open mats.