How to make good rice?

For the past couple days I've been trying to make stir fry's. I figure it would be a good way to get in all the right combos of vegetables, protein and carbs without to much hassle.

The thing is I keep on fucking up the damn rice!!!! I can never make a good batch of rice. It always comes out like a big wet soggy mess. For all you rice eaters. What's the best way to make a perfect fluffy not soggy, sticky or burnt white rice?

you have a rice cooker?

I use a rice cooker.

Rice cookers are awesome.

As above... get a rice cooker! I bought one for about $10 and it makes perfect rice every time. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

Rice cooker.

1 cup of water to 1 cup white rice.

2 cups of water to 1 cup brown.

For quinoa follow same as brown rice. Makes for an easy mix of brown rice and quinoa.

Works nicely every time though different types of rice may vary results. Phone Post 3.0

Ok. look like I shall invest in a rice cooker!!! I think i get the measuring all fucked up though. Do you measure the rice in the same cup you measure the water or are there different cups for the rice??? i have no formal measuring cups

I tend eyeball everything when I cook. I think I've been using to much water just assuming a coffee mug is a cup lol...

As above you need a rice cooker. But having an Asian wife I have seen many a pot of rice being made on the stove.

Put the rice in the pot you are going to use and wash it a couple of times to get all the starchy shit off it. You need to rub it between your fingers to get it all off.

Once you have washed it all then measure the depth of the rice in the pot that it takes up and then fill the water to the same depth above the rice. Easiest way is to use your finger as a gauge. Then start boiling it.

Leave it to boil through on high until you can't see any bubbling up through the rice. Once this has stopped then turn the heat right down put a lid on the pot and then keep simmering until it is not gluggy. You will normally get some stuck to the bottom when you cook it this way but other than the rice cooker this is a good method.

Good luck. Phone Post 3.0

cheesesteak - Ok. look like I shall invest in a rice cooker!!! I think i get the measuring all fucked up though. Do you measure the rice in the same cup you measure the water or are there different cups for the rice??? i have no formal measuring cups

I tend eyeball everything when I cook. I think I've been using to much water just assuming a coffee mug is a cup lol...

It'll come with a measuring cup.

1. wash the rice with your hands and water, dumping out the water a number of times

2. pour water in the pot, so it covers the rice and just a bit more..

3. let the rice sit for like 30min to an hour

4. use rice cooker

if still mushy, use less water

^

this

Mine came with a measuring cup and a special spoon for stirring.

Also, the same crockpot had a cookbook for it that was like $5 but is great (and somewhat funny)

Came in to say all of that. The OG knows. Phone Post

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get over to target after work and get my rice on!

Should I use basmati rice for my stir fry's, uncle bens?

Does the dynamic change when using brown rice?

cheesesteak - Does the dynamic change when using brown rice?

It'll come with a chart explaining everything. Brown rice requires more water and a longer cook-time (the time will be done automatically). Some rice cookers have a separate button for brown rice.

Put your rice inside a bag of rice.

Sagiv Lapkin - 
cheesesteak - Does the dynamic change when using brown rice?

It'll come with a chart explaining everything. Brown rice requires more water and a longer cook-time (the time will be done automatically). Some rice cookers have a separate button for brown rice.

God damn that's awesome. All these years I've been struggling with rice, such a simple yet difficult food to cook right. Rice cooker, who woulda thunk?

"Fresh cooked rice is not optimum for stir frying."

Correct. For recipes like fried rice, day-old refrigerated rice works best.

gokudamus - 

1. wash the rice with your hands and water, dumping out the water a number of times

2. pour water in the pot, so it covers the rice and just a bit more..

3. let the rice sit for like 30min to an hour

4. use rice cooker

if still mushy, use less water

This!

Don't forget to stir the rice with chopsticks or something so it'll be nice and fluffy.

Zojirushi FTW.