How to make good rice?

I love rice Phone Post

I cool rice in a stove pot all the time and I never knew about rinsing it beforehand. I will have to try that. Phone Post 3.0

Rinse rice.

Cover the rice in water up to the first knuckle of your index finger.

Burt Reynoldz - 

Rinse rice.

this sounds like a good simple way if one doesn't have a rice cooker. I may give this a shot first before splurging on the cooker. thanks everyone for letting me know about washing the rice. I would of never though of that.

cheesesteak - Thanks guys. I can't wait to get over to target after work and get my rice on!

Should I use basmati rice for my stir fry's, uncle bens?

Dude, don't use Uncle Ben's for anything. Look for an "asian" medium grain rice, like Kokuho Rose, a CalRose variety, or Nishiki. And cook it well in advance and let it cool if you are going to make fried rice with it.

I don't use a rice cooker and mine comes out perfect. Boil 2 cups water with a little salt, add 1 cup of rice, stir and put on lid and reduce heat to medium low. When a little steam is coming out you know temp is right, do not touch for 20min. and boom perfect rice. Phone Post

Some tips

Always wash your rice
With white rice use a 1:1 ratio of rice to water.
It's actually easier to cook larger amounts of rice. Meaning it's easier to cook 2 cups instead of 1.

And like someone else said zojirushi Phone Post

Z NEDCMK1 - 
Burt Reynoldz - 

Rinse rice.

One knuckle deep is no way near deep enough, you have to go at least two but probably three knuckles for satisfactory results. It is also much better if you can get someone else with bigger hands to insertt eh knuckles for you. As long as there is no eye contact it isn't gay.

It's worked for generations in Filipino and Chinese communities.

A rice cooker is the correct answer. Phone Post 3.0

Oh and its Obama's fault your rice is soggy. Phone Post 3.0

allyourbasebase - Oh and its Obama's fault your rice is soggy. Phone Post 3.0

I always had a feeling that this is what it was!

Wife got me a rice cooker awhile back. It's amazing. Think she paid $2 for a brand new one at a garage sale. Makes perfect rice everytime. Phone Post 3.0

I'm with you, man, always fuck up the rice.

But...

Ever thought about switching to Asian noodles? You can fry the noodles right in there with the rest of the stir fry.

subbu sakaraibu Phone Post 3.0

Buy good rice
Wash it
Use the finger method mentioned
Let it sit 15 minutes after cooking
If you're gonna fry it, chill it overnight first Phone Post

Fuck all that. Get a steamer pot and steam steam the rice. Always comes out fluffy and perfect Phone Post

Massage pouch to loosen rice
Open package about halfway
Place in microwave for 90 seconds
Let rest 1 minute
Eat

I'm kidding fellas, relax Phone Post

If you're using a stove top, boil the rice in a med high heat. When the water is almost evaporated and absorbed into the rice, put it on med low heat until the right consistency. The knuckle reference works. Use the inside of your finger for a more accurate measurement. This recipe works whether you're cooking 2 cups or 20. I'm filipino, I know what I'm doing. Phone Post

kosmo777 - As above you need a rice cooker. But having an Asian wife I have seen many a pot of rice being made on the stove.

Put the rice in the pot you are going to use and wash it a couple of times to get all the starchy shit off it. You need to rub it between your fingers to get it all off.

Once you have washed it all then measure the depth of the rice in the pot that it takes up and then fill the water to the same depth above the rice. Easiest way is to use your finger as a gauge. Then start boiling it.

Leave it to boil through on high until you can't see any bubbling up through the rice. Once this has stopped then turn the heat right down put a lid on the pot and then keep simmering until it is not gluggy. You will normally get some stuck to the bottom when you cook it this way but other than the rice cooker this is a good method.

Good luck. Phone Post 3.0
Put a little oil with the rice and it won't stick Phone Post 3.0

Sennin - 

Buy good rice
Wash it
Use the finger method mentioned
Let it sit 15 minutes after cooking
If you're gonna fry it, chill it overnight first Phone Post

This guy gets it!