How to set up multi-room sound system with iPod?

As the title says - what's the best way to set up multi-room sound system with iPod?

I'm not an audiophile, but I don't like shit sound quality.

And it would be great to have speakers in different rooms, with feeds to the rooms being controllable.

Are there standard kits for this type of project?

Thanks

Sonos. it's expensive but the best (especially for networking).

CyberPunk - As the title says - what's the best way to set up multi-room sound system with iPod?

I'm not an audiophile, but I don't like shit sound quality.

And it would be great to have speakers in different rooms, with feeds to the rooms being controllable.

Are there standard kits for this type of project?

Thanks
Buy an earphone for the ipod if you want to hear it from room to room? Phone Post

Katsumoto - Sonos. it's expensive but the best (especially for networking).
This. Love my sonos system. Three different zones that you can group or separate and control all via phone app. Phone Post 3.0

ipod app is pretty much identical Phone Post 3.0

Agree with Sonos. Just bought the playbar.

However I'm a little peeved that a lot of my purchased iTunes music won't play on the Sonos due to old DRM. Phone Post 3.0

Another vote for sonos. If it is an older ipod (classic style) they have a sonos dock for that as well. Phone Post 3.0

Katsumoto - Sonos. it's expensive but the best (especially for networking).

I'm still waiting on the payout from the Sonos.

I had picked up a couple of Klipsch soundbars a year ago and we got a Sonos system in the new house.

Yeah, yeah 'first world problems'...

Anyways here's my review:

- We're a Mac house - wife and I both use Mac for work and at home.

- The Klipsch was a pain in the fucking ass to get synched to the home network but once there was stupid easy to use via the AirPlay button.

- The builder hooked up the Sonos so all I had to do was download the app and go from there.

The only thing that separates them so far is that the Sonos uses a proprietary app for music management which means you either have to have playlists built or be on it all the time managing music. The Klipsch is just a sound output for your iTunes.

Sound wise they're just about identical again with the difference being that I can tweak the EQ on the Klipsch using the iTunes built in equalizer. Another bonus for the Klipsch is that I can hard line (audio or usb) into a specific speaker.

The bonus for the Sonos is that all speakers are linked via the app.

Cost wise the Klipsch is cheaper in that you don't need a hub and router to make it work.

I'm waiting on one more speaker for the home theatre and then I'll compare how they synch up across the house.

All in all they're both solid ways of playing music off your iPhone/iPod.

My buddy has a B&O system which is way more than I'm willing to spend right now but his selling points are:

1. Ease of use - apparently it's stupid easy to link to.
2. Sound quality - any jack off who drops $1000 on a speaker will tell you it sounds like angels giving you a blow job so I don't give him much bonus there.
3. Speaker spacial awareness - this is kind of cool in that the B&O speakers know where other speakers on the same network are so they balance against each other. More of an audiophile selling point but pretty fucking cool nonetheless.

For the longest time I patched my iPod into a guitar tube amp and did by that way - simple is king.

Toki Wartooth -

The only thing that separates them so far is that the Sonos uses a proprietary app for music management which means you either have to have playlists built or be on it all the time managing music....

i thought last year's update allowed users to directly play music -- and playlists -- from their ipod/iphone. i know if you're accessing your library that's on a NAS device, then Sonos will recognize any playlists created from Itunes.

Katsumoto - 
Toki Wartooth -

The only thing that separates them so far is that the Sonos uses a proprietary app for music management which means you either have to have playlists built or be on it all the time managing music....

i thought last year's update allowed users to directly play music -- and playlists -- from their ipod/iphone. i know if you're accessing your library that's on a NAS device, then Sonos will recognize any playlists created from Itunes.

I'm still trying to learn the whole thing.

Right now all it does is play my library off of my phone and ignores the cloud and my whole library.

Toki Wartooth - 
Katsumoto - 
Toki Wartooth -

I'm still trying to learn the whole thing.

Right now all it does is play my library off of my phone and ignores the cloud and my whole library.

how do you have your whole library connected to Sonos? on a NAS? PC?...

If I'm using my Mac as a base then it takes all the music from there.

What I haven't been able to do is use the phone as a remote to access the whole library.