How to stop MMA piracy issues

Honestly at this point the price would have to be dramaticly reduced. I used to say $29.99 would be a good price point but the older I get it’s getting harder and harder for me to keep interest. If they really wanted to put a dent into steaming the price would have to be something like $9.99. It’s not even the steaming, it’s the fact I can wake up the next morning and watch every fight from the night before all uploaded to the internet on YouTube or various other sites. It sucks staying up until 2am especially if I’m the only one watching the fights.

The other option is make fight pass the go to place for everything. $120 annual subscription gets you every ppv and event all in one place. I think in the long run they would make more money and the streaming would take a major hit.

2 Likes

I think they’ve already gone too far with people streaming and I don’t think there’s anyway to get the majority of them back with lower prices. It is way too easy to stream all the fights, and most of the time the legal streams are a higher quality and work better than the ones you get through the ESPN app. They need to focus on getting new viewers to be interested in the sport. The best way to do that is with an actual streaming service. They need a service, where for a monthly fee, you can watch all the new cards as well as pass cards and other programming. That way they would be able to build up followings for some of the newer fighters so people actually give a damn when they fight. If they still want to hold onto the pay-per-view model they could do five or six massive pay-per-view cards a year and draw revenue that way.

1 Like

I agree the prices are too high for a PPV and a good fix for the UFC and the fans would be combining fight pass/espn+ and PPVs together and do what the DAZN does and just charge 15-20 a month for everything. I’d bet with one place to go and for a fair monthly price for all events they would do just as well. I only have internet so espn+ has been been fine for me vs having to get espn as apart of some packaged channel deal from the very cable companies I was trying to ditch.

Sometimes I think the hackers screw with the ESPN app. It wouldn’t surprise me at all

same. though i will admit the last few i have had a friend come over with the gimmicked firestick.

they set a price where they think they can make the most money. and they will make more money charging 75 vs 25 or 35. but they need to be able to live with the fact that at higher price points there will be more piracy. if they are making more $$ they need to just live with it. I think maybe they do just live with it. but they have to talk tough to scare a few people away.

with my group, the typical setup has been that the host pays for fight and has some basic drink options. somebody else pays for food. many bring their own preferred drinks and dishes to past. Others will host different get togethers and the host always provides a basic level of food and drink. This is fine. And not everybody in the group is into fighting as the next guy. I don’t mind if some don’t pay anything on the night. their company makes things better.

we used to do more of a deal where everybody chipped in. but we’ve grown up and put a little money away. nobody sweats that small stuff anymore.