how to suplex/uranage?

When I catch people in randori by slipping behind them, I get the grip around the waist for the suplex and then pick them up. Then I put them back down - no need to throw them in class since I'm afraid to land them on their head.

However, in a tournament, how do you land yourself safely without hitting your own head on mat? Do you throw the opponent over hard and just fall backwards onto your back hard or lower your hips gently to ground or what? I heard Matt Lindland KOed HIMSELF in a MMA fight when he suplexed someone recently!

Michael

ttt

Michael Arsanis: First off any back arch throw requires that you know that proper mechanics of the throw. One mistake I see made by Judo players all the time trying to emulate wrestling Suplexes is that they go for amplitude whereas for the most part suplexes are much more about twisting the opponents body than throwing him straight over your head. This would land him/her on their back, you on their side or on top of them.

If you're doing Ura Nage you still do quite a bit of twisting to get the Uke on their back. I hope that helps some. If not after class I'll give a more detailed explanation.

Jarvis

Jarvis - thanks for the tips. I'm sorry I'm very bad with names. So many people from class over the years I forget. I'm trying to remember you - did you just get promoted to Shodan last week? I'm sorry.

Regarding technique. Lets say for example I slip around my opponent's right side and lift him. His body will be cliose to my let shoulder. So I assume that as I threw him backwards, I would twist to my LEFT?...

Michael

Michael, you need to work the fall with crash pads. and you need to work on it solo first to get the twist and the arch. In college, our coach would make us do the bridge so slowly that we'd land on our shoulders without the pads.

second, you should be gripping and pulling him in actually below the waist. your forearms should be pinching his pelvis and your grip should be right above his crotch. It's important to control his hips vs. his waist because he'll immediately start trying to base, sag and turn in. You need to suck him in and lift him up.

you SHOULD finish it in the dojo.. no reason not to. if you dont learn to finish it dynamically then you wont be able to finish it when you try to in a tournament. i understand not creaming a white or green belt with it, but anybody sanjyu or above should be more than able to handle the fall.

you do yourself and the others in the dojo a disservice by not completing the throw.. they dont learn how to take a tough fall and they dont have a fear of the counter so they never learn how to properly react to it-- potentially making the fall much harder when it does happen.

to finsh it.. just arch yourself and twist to your stomach as best you can.. follow your hands and chest down on top of uke and make him realize how stupid he was for not trying harder to finish his throw to begin with.

MichaelArsanis:"Jarvis - thanks for the tips. I'm sorry I'm very bad with names. So many people from class over the years I forget. I'm trying to remember you - did you just get promoted to Shodan last week? I'm sorry." What was that about?

BIC: very good description:-)

Jarvis

Look at what I found...

http://stuffmarketing.com/golddragon/uranage.gif

Stickfoot: Here in michigan, that's what we call a 'Koka'.

Jarvis,
you said you would show me "after class." I assumed from that statement that you worked out at my school...

Mike

i find that when i latch onto somebodys waist they will bend forward and do a very good job of stopping the throw.

for me, latching onto the actual hip bones or lower back with 1 arm and then control the upper body with the other is the most effective.

when i throw uranage it is rarely a block then lift straight up and arch straight back type of motion... most often it includes a circling around uke that dramatically changes the direction and allows me some form of inertia to achieve the needed lift and throw.

when somebody comes in with uchimata or seio or any forward throw it is really hard to throw that person 100% straight behind yourself.. i find it much easier to lock on, spin around to the side (or even front) and then use torque to lift and throw.

the danger is simply that youd better be damned good at making it obvious that you stopped the throw before you counter.

in no way does this go for throws like Ouchi gari.

Thing about uranage in judo is you really have to watch out for ouchi or kouchi counter to uranage. I have watched many comps both local and Olympic and see it happen. I am always a victim of this. :(

SF, you are very right.. though, oddly enough, uranage is a great counter to a high ouchigari...

uranage does not work in modern competition if tori is unable to balance himself on 1 foot and even switch feet depending on what uke does.

ive been caught with the kouchigari counter to uranage many times in randori, the ouchigari not as often-- but it is an effective block all the same.