How to Tell if a BJJ Instructor is a Fraud

wombat - I lived in Rio and can confirm the "r" as "h" sound isn't just for jiujitsu guys. Phone Post 3.0
That's not really what I meant, it was a bit tongue in cheek but, I'd love an explanation for the above. It's not like Cristiano Ronaldo is really Cristiano Honaldo. I've heard him say his own name recently.
Like I said I'm not saying you're wrong, I believe it, I just wonder why it's never raised in football. Phone Post 3.0

I suppose it's because people learn English pronunciation. But that's not the point. Frauds mis-pronounce Brazilian names often because they don't know any better. Phone Post 3.0

One comment about Portuguese language:

The "R" is only pronounced as an "H" at the beginning of a word, or in the case of two "R"s together in the same word.

So for example: Rio de Janeiro

The "R" in Rio would indeed by "Hio", but the "r" in Janerio is still pronounced as an "r".

The word "Carro" (which is car) is pronounced like "Cahho".

Carry on please.

wombat - I suppose it's because people learn English pronunciation. But that's not the point. Frauds mis-pronounce Brazilian names often because they don't know any better. Phone Post 3.0
No it's not, sorry for the distraction. Phone Post 3.0

JudOWNED -
caseharts - Well if you have trained. Roll with them immediately. You can tell real quick. Phone Post 3.0
I'm not sure this is entirely true. I mean yeah, the outright fakes are pretty easy to spot this way. But sometimes guys that are pretty decent purples or Browns get it into their heads to suddenly decide they are black belts. You can be a blue belt or an experienced white belt and still get tooled up by one of these guys when you roll. Doesn't mean they are a legit black belt though. Phone Post 3.0
If they can tool you and you're experienced they're legit. I don't care about belts. I cab see why someone might care but I've never met a purple who just decided to be black. Phone Post 3.0

caseharts -
JudOWNED -
caseharts - Well if you have trained. Roll with them immediately. You can tell real quick. Phone Post 3.0
I'm not sure this is entirely true. I mean yeah, the outright fakes are pretty easy to spot this way. But sometimes guys that are pretty decent purples or Browns get it into their heads to suddenly decide they are black belts. You can be a blue belt or an experienced white belt and still get tooled up by one of these guys when you roll. Doesn't mean they are a legit black belt though. Phone Post 3.0
If they can tool you and you're experienced they're legit. I don't care about belts. I cab see why someone might care but I've never met a purple who just decided to be black. Phone Post 3.0
It still makes a difference if you claim to be an IBJJF Black belt and you're not. I can think of two examples where browns claimed to have been promoted to black belt. One was a side from bullshido who simply didn't want to pay the fees, but wore a black belt anyway. Another was a guy who who trained at he gym my judo club meets at. He left to travel abroad as a brown. When he came back he was wearing a black belt, and had a shady story about some guy to promoted him. So it does happen. Phone Post 3.0

elcornjr - My new Bjj coach has got a good resume and is well known in my town, guys from our gym are always placing in tourneys but I've never seen him roll.

He hobbles around the gym like only the the top half of his back is working. I've only been there a few weeks and I'm definitely getting better. Is my new coach a fraud? Phone Post 3.0
Bjj can really fuck your back up. Lower back especially. Phone Post 3.0

JudOWNED -
caseharts -
JudOWNED -
It still makes a difference if you claim to be an IBJJF Black belt and you're not. I can think of two examples where browns claimed to have been promoted to black belt. One was a side from bullshido who simply didn't want to pay the fees, but wore a black belt anyway. Another was a guy who who trained at he gym my judo club meets at. He left to travel abroad as a brown. When he came back he was wearing a black belt, and had a shady story about some guy to promoted him. So it does happen. Phone Post 3.0
That sucks. I guess I'm unique. Maybe they need a database. Phone Post 3.0

Nice article

Good thread. Phone Post 3.0