How will Anthony Cassar do in MMA?

He signed an mma deal with Malki Kawa. It looks like after the Olympics are held he will transition to a full time MMA career. Do you think he will compete at 205 or HW? 

https://247sports.com/Article/Anthony-Cassar-Penn-State-wrestling-champion-signs-MMA-deal-management-contract-Olympics-147714233/

He is about the size of Stipe Miocic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1W_Kd5nhZM/?utm_source=ig_embed

Anytime someone at his level enters MMA, the smart money is that they will be, at minimum, UFC level at some point.

wiggum - Anytime someone at his level enters MMA, the smart money is that they will be, at minimum, UFC level at some point.

Do you think he goes LHW or HW? Both? Do you think Bellator signs him to one of those prospect deals? Or does UFC just hook him up with a Greg Hardy special?

Handsome dude 

I would say he fights 205 and racks up a few pro wins and probably cracks the ufc roster, makes a name for himself. I would doubt that he’s ever a champion in the big leagues. But that’s all obviously pure speculation. Maybe he surprises and becomes something more

Mkk11 - 

I would say he fights 205 and racks up a few pro wins and probably cracks the ufc roster, makes a name for himself. I would doubt that he’s ever a champion in the big leagues. But that’s all obviously pure speculation. Maybe he surprises and becomes something more

Why not? Do you think guys like Jan B., Dom Reyes, Curtis Blaydes, etc. have more athletic potential than him?

wiggum -
Mkk11 - 

Why not? Do you think guys like Jan B., Dom Reyes, Curtis Blaydes, etc. have more athletic potential than him?

The only thing Blaydes has going for him is he is a young HW wrestler in an aging HW division without any decent wrestlers. If Cassar were to enter that division then Blaydes will have to take a back seat eventually.

cyberc92 - 
wiggum -
Mkk11 - 

The only thing Blaydes has going for him is he is a young HW wrestler in an aging HW division without any decent wrestlers. If Cassar were to enter that division then Blaydes will have to take a back seat eventually.

That would be my guess, as well.

Not sure what weight he’d go. I think a lot of that decision should rest on his striking defense.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bo Nickal take up mma too.

Diabeetus -

Wouldn't mind seeing Bo Nickal take up mma too.

He is.

Signed a deal with Kawa as well.

Guess we'll see.  MMA isn't wrestling.  Ultimately, it'll depend on where he lands team wise, and how serious he is about sharpening up all aspects of the sport. 

wiggum - Anytime someone at his level enters MMA, the smart money is that they will be, at minimum, UFC level at some point.

This. He also is a large athletic dude. That and his high level wrestling combined... at a higher weight? He could be trouble. Gable Stevenson as well. Both large athletic men. And Cassar beat Gable in the NCAA finals...

Wiggim, just curious on your insight, why did Cassar have Gables number? Was it just because it was folk? Was it size, stalling, or skill? 

Cassar imo, has a lot of potential… I think.

wiggum -
Mkk11 - 

That was the reason I said speculation. Just my opinion, but like I said I could be wrong and maybe he surprises. I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong if he does. To be an Olympian he obviously has great work ethic so perhaps he can pick up decent striking relatively quickly. But to be a champion in the UFC these days you can’t be a one trick pony, too much talent and too many killers well versed in multiple martial arts. Wrestling is probably the best base but it can’t be the only thing you have going. Wish him the best of luck, and I’ll honestly be tuning in and rooting for him

he has potential, hopefully his body can hold up, he already mess up his shoulder in wrestling

He has the athletic potential to be GOAT. 

Reminds me of Kurt Angle.  Smaller super-athletic heavyweight.  Tbh, him being a 230 lb heavyweight might suit his career better than cutting to 205.  

He’s gotta start somewhere. 

No one will know until we see how he reacts to getting punched in the face. His ceiling is certainly very high.