How would GSP do vs. these guys in folkstyle...

GSP has outwrestled all of these guys in MMA, but do you think he could do the same in a straight wrestling (collegiate/folkstyle) wrestling match?  How do you think he'd fare vs.

Sean Sherk

Jon Fitch

Matt Hughes

Josh Koschek

Hard to say, since they wouldn't be afraid of GSP punching and kicking them into a living death like they would in MMA.

Lose

Lose

Lose

Lose

I think I agree with Tom

I think he beats Sherk and probably Fitch...probably not Hughes and definitely not Koschek.

Fredrico - With grease or sans grease?
Nah, his magical grease makes him sticky while wrestling. He is only slick on the ground with his brand of grease

I have been trying to buy this magic grease that allows me to stick during take-downs and when I have cross-body control.

Then somehow becomes slick only when I am in my opponents guard.

Can you get me some?

thefightingsheep -  I think he beats Sherk and probably Fitch...probably not Hughes and definitely not Koschek.

fitch is probably 5x the wrestler that hughes is... think before you type

LeftLowKick - 
thefightingsheep -  I think he beats Sherk and probably Fitch...probably not Hughes and definitely not Koschek.

All-American 2nd place finisher vs. a guy with a .500 record who was never an All-American?   Take your own advice, TUF fan.

Massa - I have been trying to buy this magic grease that allows me to stick during take-downs and when I have cross-body control.

Can you get me some?
Let's not forget with this magic grease you won't have to train BJJ any more. Why bother when all you need to pass one of the world's greatest guards, shut down his submissions, and beat him senseless is a dime size dollop of it. I believe if you take enough psilocybin mixed with kool-aid you can buy some from faeries in Shangra-La.

Seriously, if any of you actually think that GSP would do better in wrestling over guys who trained for over a decade and won wrestling tournaments...

You need to take your meds and join us here in reality.

George St. Pierre is a great fighter, but, when it comes to pure wrestling there is a huge difference.

Any of the aforementioned fighters would destroy Georges in a wrestling match. 

Psshhh!

You are all nuts.

Dan Gable
Alexander Karelin
Alexander Medved
Cael Sanderson

GSP whoops all of those guys in their respective disciplines.

[/GSPfanboy]

Ausgepicht - 
Massa - I have been trying to buy this magic grease that allows me to stick during take-downs and when I have cross-body control.

Can you get me some?
Let's not forget with this magic grease you won't have to train BJJ any more. Why bother when all you need to pass one of the world's greatest guards, shut down his submissions, and beat him senseless is a dime size dollop of it. I believe if you take enough psilocybin mixed with kool-aid you can buy some from faeries in Shangra-La.

I'm in.  Let's do this.

LeftLowKick - 

LOL at this self-ownage.

Let me explain this to you. GSP has trained wrestling positions. He knows takedowns, scrambles, and positioning. He has never wrestled. There is a lot more to wrestling then just being able to put someone on the mat. GSP would get cradled, tilted, ridden, ect. all things he doesn't practice because they do not translate to MMA. My analogy, Brock Lesnar has the tools to be a pro football player. Freak strong, fast, hits hard, and great athlete. BUT never played football beyond highschool. It takes more then knowing fundamentals of a sport to really excell at it.

lol at jon fitch being beaten in wrestling by gsp.

gsp would whoop roy jones in a boxing match too.

Right now? He'd have a chance to beat them all using a takedown and cut strategy. He blew Kos's doors off repeatedly and supposedly approaches an olympic level hand fighter on the mats. Could he escape and avoid being ridden/tilted/pinned from the referees position? Probably not.

Damage360 - Right now? He'd have a chance to beat them all using a takedown and cut strategy. He blew Kos's doors off repeatedly and supposedly approaches an olympic level hand fighter on the mats. Could he escape and avoid being ridden/tilted/pinned from the referees position? Probably not.

lol So even though he's never competed in wrestling, never trained specifically for wrestling, and is going up against some one who has both education and experience, GSP is going to win?

L O S E

I figured people would be giving GSP too much credit, but it looks like he's not getting any at all.  A guy like Sherk who was a HS wrestler isn't going to have the type of experience wrestling against Olympic/international opponents like GSP supposedly has. 

And yes, there are aspects of wrestling other than takedowns, but we've seen GSP's strength and speed advantage in standard wrestling positions and a lot of  ground wrestling comes down to the basics of body control and strength.  If he dominates with takedowns he wins the first round and the round where he's on top (sacrificing 1 point for an escape and gaining 2 for any takedown).  Do you think it will be that difficult for him to stand up and escape--something most evenly matched wrestler do quite easily--in the 2nd round?  Do you think he gets pinned by weaker, slower guys like Sherk during that period?

Watching his repeated takedowns of Fitch, his full points throw of Hughes from 50/50 and his ability to basically ride Frank Trigg from top positions for several minutes I have to think he would at least have a chance against the weaker guys on that list (Sherk and Fitch).  None of them have been approached about trying out for the Olympics as GSP supposedly has.