How would GSP done under the Pridefc banner?

The longer first round, soccer kicks, no elbows, ring, non-round by round scoring, yellow cards for stalling, ect ect.

How do you think he would've done? I think those rules would have really suited him well.

His cardio would've given guys fits in that long first round. He'd also have had a easier time with trapping guys with superior footwork and jabs in the ring. Phone Post 3.0

Would have been bigger than anything in japan. We'd have pride fc shows now, no ufc events. It would have been that much of a game changer. That ruleset would have turned his current style into a fucking killer. Phone Post 3.0

Probably well. We would have used the limitations to his advantage. I enjoy the pride rules a lot more Phone Post 3.0

He would cut through any fighter that ever fought or fake-fought for PRIDE like a hot knife through butter. It wouldn't even be fair, they would just be slaughtered.

GSP knee'ing guys to the head would have replaced his elbows and benefited him more. Add the soccer kicks to a guy who rarely had to fight from his back and he would have been merking people.

But he would have also probably had to fight LHWs as it was Pride.

Unfortunately the competition wasn't as good in his weight class. I think that coupled with the rules would have led to a more exciting fighting style from him. I feel like after Serra knocked him out, he fought very "safe" (not to sauce wasn't an amazing fighter and champion) Phone Post 3.0

GSP would have done really well IMO. His knees on the ground during his tko days were pretty vicious.

i think initially he would struggle at first adjusting because he trained too hard and was too familiar with an octagon setting(reverse of crocop with a ring)

after adjusting i think another complication could be that he could potentially lose a lot of fights by decision due to being deemed not doing enough to finish the fight since the judging criteria was different.

soccer kicks i dont think will benefit him cause he was typically doing takedowns and would be on the ground with his opponent. knees would definitely help him however they would also decrease his control and provide more opportunities for his opponents to escape.

i think he would do very well but that he would also be very beatable. the nature of the fights would look a lot different and he wouldnt be able to just wrestlefest people to get wins like in the ufc.

PRIDE were apparently courting him at one point. They did not have an equivalent to a 170 pound weight class tho, PRIDE was only HW and 93kg (205), then they added an equivalent to 185 and a class just above LW, so GSP would have had to fight up at 83kg or down a bit at 73kg.

the judging critera would sort of demand him to revert back to his old days if he wanted to do well on the score cards.

GSP with knees on the ground would be a killer

Ask Thomas Denny how Georges fights when knees to the head of a downed opponent are allowed.

It's a game changer.

TheBearStare - i think initially he would struggle at first adjusting because he trained too hard and was too familiar with an octagon setting(reverse of crocop with a ring)

after adjusting i think another complication could be that he could potentially lose a lot of fights by decision due to being deemed not doing enough to finish the fight since the judging criteria was different.

soccer kicks i dont think will benefit him cause he was typically doing takedowns and would be on the ground with his opponent. knees would definitely help him however they would also decrease his control and provide more opportunities for his opponents to escape.

i think he would do very well but that he would also be very beatable. the nature of the fights would look a lot different and he wouldnt be able to just wrestlefest people to get wins like in the ufc.
Watch his old tko fights. He fought in a ring before UFC. Phone Post 3.0

Kelvin Gastelum fan - He still would be a point fighter, everyone saying he'd be successful because of the rules, to knee a ground opponent you have to risk giving up position. Its not like wrestlers were hugely successful. Guys like Wand and Shogun seem to have benefitted the best, not exactly wrestlers. Truth is, downed knees are most beneficial to sprawl n brawlers, not wrestlers
How would Kelvin Gastelum faired? Phone Post 3.0

"he could potentially lose a lot of fights by decision due to being deemed not doing enough to finish the fight since the judging criteria was different."

Which of GSP's opponents do you think have done more to attempt to finish the fight than he has?

How many sub attempts from their backs did BJ, Diaz, Condit, Serra, Fitch, and Alves have, combined? How many devastating strikes did they and Koscheck and Shields etc land? Which of them could have won a decision in Pride because they did more to finish and did more damage than he did?

The guy on top isn't losing a fight in Pride unless he's doing jack shit while the guy on the bottom is going for stuff. How many decisions did Arona lose?

"he would also be very beatable."

I can't think of anyone near his weight who could have beaten him.

He would have fought anderson silva and got ktfo. There was no welter weight division.

Under Pride rules and scoring system, he would have lost the first BJ Penn fight as he was damaged from the exchanges in the first round and resorted to stalling (yellow card). The rules in Pride also stated that the bigger person (GSP), assuming Penn fought at his normal weight, started with an automatic point deduction at the start of the match!!

Yellow cards,moving up in weight, no elbows, no cage, no wall and stall, average stand up skills early in his career all would have put more losses on his records. He would still be great but not a wrecking machine like the UFC. He would be a slightly better version of Arona.

Either a beastly monster if he'd stayed as 'Rush' or Greg Jackson / Tristar would have him yellow carded into poverty Phone Post 3.0

The guy was a beast in TKO where he was alloweed knees on a downed opponent. With his top game I guess pride rules would have given him an advantage over unified rules.

I don't know about the smaller ring and his wrestling thought.

he'd get the biggest collection of yellow cards.