How would Khabib do at a grappling comp?

Eskimo - 

His grappling is better suited for mma. I don't think he'd do poorly in ADCC but he wouldn't be anything special. Modern grappling competitions are about 90% bullshit and purely a rules game and a sport. Having the best grappling for fighting is far more impressive to me than winning matches like the aforementioned Orlando Sanchez did. I mean, what did he actually win? Can you imagine showing those matches to your grandkids and acting like that was a fight lol? 

Agree with this.

Getting kinda weird… I find myself agreeing with you often.

You must have good sense :slight_smile:

Triple_B - 
James Franco -

Why does everyone think khabib doesn't know what a heel hook is or the entires? Sambo is literally the most complete leg locking martial art on Earth. They don't even get to heel hooks like top level bjj don't even get to arm barson each other. It's learned how to avoid from the beginning

All twisting leg locks are illegal in Sambo and most matches are won on points, so no most of them aren't experts at avoiding heel hooks. In addition to that there is limited time given on the ground, so you can "avoid" submissions by simply holding grips or turtling up for a 5-10 secs until the ref restarts the match. You can also score pins from inside your opponents guard and break any submission by standing up even if it's locked in, so leg locking from bottom position isn't as high percentage.

The type of leg locks some sambo practioners excel at wouldn't win many ADCC matches either. Turning your opponent for a straight ankle lock from top turtle position, entries from standing, etc. are great in sambo because of pins and limited ground time, but can be very risky moves in a no gi grappling rule set. Modern non-IBJJF no gi grapplers are much better at leg locks than the average sambist and even a jiu-jitsu guy that doesn't know much about leg locks would be ok thanks to better fundamentals when it comes to positioning and guard play on the ground. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Yeah yeah we get it Bjj is da best and nothing ever beats it ever!! Ossssssssss!!

wiggum -
Triple_B - 
James Franco -

Why does everyone think khabib doesn't know what a heel hook is or the entires? Sambo is literally the most complete leg locking martial art on Earth. They don't even get to heel hooks like top level bjj don't even get to arm barson each other. It's learned how to avoid from the beginning

All twisting leg locks are illegal in Sambo and most matches are won on points, so no most of them aren't experts at avoiding heel hooks. In addition to that there is limited time given on the ground, so you can "avoid" submissions by simply holding grips or turtling up for a 5-10 secs until the ref restarts the match. You can also score pins from inside your opponents guard and break any submission by standing up even if it's locked in, so leg locking from bottom position isn't as high percentage.

The type of leg locks some sambo practioners excel at wouldn't win many ADCC matches either. Turning your opponent for a straight ankle lock from top turtle position, entries from standing, etc. are great in sambo because of pins and limited ground time, but can be very risky moves in a no gi grappling rule set. Modern non-IBJJF no gi grapplers are much better at leg locks than the average sambist and even a jiu-jitsu guy that doesn't know much about leg locks would be ok thanks to better fundamentals when it comes to positioning and guard play on the ground. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

No problem

lolll -

Didn't he win the 2012 naga welterweight no gi tournament...Hes only gotten better so I think he would do ok

Do you understand that NAGA is super amateur level?  Comparing it to ADCC is like comparing a rec basketball league to the NBA

Easters -
lolll -

Didn't he win the 2012 naga welterweight no gi tournament...Hes only gotten better so I think he would do ok

Do you understand that NAGA is super amateur level?  Comparing it to ADCC is like comparing a rec basketball league to the NBA

You shut your mouth!

*Polishes NAGA expert division championship belt*

2 Likes
Easters -
lolll -

Well he got bronze at ADCC so he is world class in that style. 

I dont think he would do well against the Gary Tonon/Gordon Ryan/Nicky Ryan types.

fathalpert - 

I dont think he would do well against the Gary Tonon/Gordon Ryan/Nicky Ryan types.

Hasn’t he trained at Renzo’s? No one knows if he rolled with any of them?

Samoa -
Easters -
lolll -

Well he got bronze at ADCC so he is world class in that style. 

He's never done ADCC

graciesrule -
fathalpert - 

Hasn’t he trained at Renzo’s? No one knows if he rolled with any of them?

Yeah, and I forget who it was but someone who saw those sessions made some vauge statements indicating it didn’t go that well for khabib and his crew.

Let's find these vague statements

What we know with more certainty is none of the mentioned would do well in mma against khabib, and likely none could beat him in straight wrestling or sambo rules.

Danaher hinted at it on Rogans podcast. He was quick to say that is not what Khabib crew does though. 

Khabib didn't roll but his crew did. Here it is

https://youtu.be/Vr3xjlXgWHs

James Franco - 

What we know with more certainty is none of the mentioned would do well in mma against khabib, and likely none could beat him in straight wrestling or sambo rules.

Why are you defending him?

James Franco -

Don't see how that's relevant tbh

keiths -

Khabib didn't roll but his crew did. Here it is

https://youtu.be/Vr3xjlXgWHs

Thats it - thanks. 

James Franco -

Thats completely missing the point of this thread, which is how he'd do in a straight grappling event like ADCC.

He's arguably the best MMA fighter in the world right now, of course he'd beat grapplers if he fought them. 

He would certainly wouldn't look out of place at ADCC, but I wouldn't expect him to win. He'd beat some people by making it ugly, ala Jake Shields vs Dillon Danis recently.