How would Oliveira vs Khabib go down?

Could Charles hang with Khabib on the ground? I think Charles is the better striker.

1 Like

Charles is definitely the better striker, and he can really let loose because he doesn’t have much to fear from Khabib on the ground. In fact his best submission opportunities would come during the scrambles forced by Khabib’s takedown attempts. Khabib wouldn’t be able to hold him down with impunity, he’s not subbing Charles, and any space he tried to make for striking would give Charles room to work. I think Charles pummels him standing and catches him in a sub during a takedown attempt.

9 Likes

Really going out on a limb to say Charles is a better striker eh?

The Weasle pointed out that Charles may do better against Islam cuz Islam is more positional advancement based as opposed to the more smeshy Khabib. It would be a great matchup tho.

2 Likes

LOL Khabib has fought great strikers, but none of them were really able to bring it to bear because of the takedown threat. Charles doesn’t have to fear that–might even welcome it, in fact–and so his standup would make more of a difference than that of other fighters in the past.

2 Likes

That was in reference to OP saying Charles is a better striker than Khabib. :wink:

But agreed, Charles would be a tough matchup for Khabib for that reason. Khabib would get him down but he’s also got to worry about subs on the ground and in transition. Dustin got him in a guillotine….

1 Like

Hey, I hardly watch fights anymore. I’m not the knowledgeable fan that I used to be. Most of what I know about Charles I learned tonight.

1 Like

The way they talk about Oliveira reminds me a bit of Dos Anjos in so far as they were middle of the pack guys for years but then they somehow improved and became champions.

1 Like

RDA is a funny one where he’ll look god-level one fight and then like Simple Jack the next. I’ve given up trying to guess which version will show up. I think his horsemeat diet was assisting him immensely at one point, too.

4 Likes

Khabib is not a horrible striker, his ground game is just so damn good. Technically hes sloppy, but he definitely can hold his own standing.

2 Likes

Khabib would finish him comfortably. Charles has nice technique but almost ALWAYS gets rocked.
Khabib would not hesitate taking him down and pounding him to a TKO.

I am neutral on Charles but anyone can see that guy is KO waiting to happen. It’s not a matter of if, only when.

A bit like Overeem or Amir Khan. They have some world-class skill to string wins and win belts but inevitable that KOs and losses will come.

Charles can stop anyone, but I can’t look at him and think he won’t be stopped in the next few fights.

6 Likes

How many people has Khabib KOed with gnp? And those he dominated on the ground - were they even close to Charles’ level of bjj?

1 Like

If Gaethje, Dustin, and Chandler didn’t rock Charles enough to finish him, Khabib isn’t going to. He might win, but not that way.

5 Likes

He’s old now and was too small at WW and can’t fight going backwards and had the worst matchups against the bigger wrestlers. He also doesn’t have enough striking power now and esp at WW.

1 Like

Not even close. The collective ground skill of 99% of Khabib’s UFC opponents would make for a fine blue belt division at your local BJJ tourney.

I remember how epic he looked against Pettis. And then how bad he looked against Colby.

Selling Poirer short. He’s just not on Oliveira and Khabib’s level on the ground…but who is?

Oliveira would arguably have the worst chin out of all of them. It’s not often Khabib has needed to KO people on the ground but he can. Oliveira has been Koed before and will do again and not necessarily by a power puncher. Khabib can rock him wherever and will happily go to ground and finish the job. Oliveira is possibly the most likely to be Koed of any Khabib’s opponents recently.

4 Likes

Dude that’s a shit ass take.

He is chinny. Like Overeem is. Everyone thought Ubereem would change the world but he didn’t because he got KOed eventually. Ronda was a shit striker and I was practically the only one who said it and I got flamed until it was exposed.
When you get rocked as easily as Oliveira does in almost every fight being close to getting stopped, why are you so adamant on arguing that Khabib cannot do that when he has dominated much better strikers than Oliveira. Whilst Oliveira is dangerous from subs it is not a high percentage move for him to be under the most dominant grappler in UFC history (or for arguments sake top 3 grappler).

So he would fear the takedown and would get hit (like everyone else did) and likely get stopped. How the fuck can anyone in their right mind look at Oliveira get rocked repeatedly and think it won’t catch up with him. It happens with all fighters that get rocked repeatedly.

Oliveira vs Khabib would be like Fedor vs Nog, only Oliveira is much more stoppable. You seem to think it’ll be like Fedor vs Werdum. Maybe that’s the case if Khabib was past his best but not off recent history.

You don’t like the ‘take’ that’s up to you, but you can’t force people to agree with your favoured opinion on a fighter.

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:t2: