How would Royce vs Kerr have gone?

Weren’t they illegal at the time?

I seem to remember some sort of confusion.

Kerr was 6’3", 250lbs, and juiced to the gills; Royce 6’, 175lbs, and most likely natural at that time.

Just imagine considering such a matchup by today’s standards lol.

1 Like

If it was Mark Kerr instead of Dan Severn in UFC 4 I suppose you could argue it was possible Kerr could’ve got caught too. If you’re talking about Royce vs Kerr in 1999, then Royce would’ve been smashed badly.

3 Likes

ggy8ezDar0d3Iw46bBGWa2OKW8mPphOrNQ34sfUMw-4.jpg

6 Likes

I got 2 dozen of those signed! VTFU

3 Likes

Yeah it was ruled a no-contest as a result. They eventually changed the rule where knees were allowed to opponents on the ground. It was like a special safe position as a wrestler where you could turtle up and have no fear of getting soccer kicked and knee’d in the head, then it was removed. It hurt Sakuraba too unfortunately once it was removed. I also think UFC should remove this rule too but that’s me.

2 Likes

I was pissed when Fujita threw the towel in vs Coleman. Wand was the alternate and could’ve been a fun fight, along with a different outcome of the GP.

2 Likes

Wand would have been smashed

No Idea Shrug GIF by Rosanna Pansino

2 Likes

Kerr is a white belt.
So logically Royce would’ve subbed him anytime he wants. It’s common sense

2 Likes

Kerr first fight without knowing anything about Royce? I’d take Royce. Fight around time Kerr was fighting in Pride? I’d choose Kerr, but Royce would still have a chance imo.

2 Likes

Screen name checks out

1 Like

I’m hoping he was being ironic

Kerr got to learn bjj so it isn’t really fair. If it was Kerr before he knew anything else it would have been more interesting

1 Like

what are the odds kerr would keep it standing vs royce?
that would be more interesting than groundo poundo

i still remember royce on eddie goldmans show saying hes gonna beak saku, igor, and kerr in 1 night

eddie asked how he would beat kerr: i take him down, throw some punches, he turn his back, i choke him

2 Likes

I’m assuming OP meant when they were supposed to fight the first time. Pride in the early 2000s. It was definitely a very intriguing matchup as Kerr was an undefeated monster at the time and Royce hadn’t fought in years

I have to believe Kerr would beat him prude rules - I just do not see Royce submitting him

Royce was already so far behind the pack. Kerr would have hurt him bad.

2 Likes

Yes at that point he was. He was behind in technique and size, speed and strength. That said I give him major props for entering the first Pride Grand prix . That’s something Rickson would have never even considered

Welcome to the forum!

If kimo had short hair he would have destroyed royce. Kerr would beat him into a living death and it wouldnt even be close

1 Like