How would you handle this?

i think you are really paranoied

"Id probably do some slow shadowboxing, to make it look like Im a genuine badass. Then Id look to see if there was a phone booth around."

LOL

SPK,

My first concern would be my family of course.To tell you the truth I would try to avoid the situation until my family was threated.If I would have seen no weapons, I wouldn`t feel that threated.I would just tell them to roll up the windows,and lock the doors.

I`m not a small guy at all,and I would think that they would have picked out an easier target.However if they would have been carrying a gun,I would have no problem giving them my wallet.

HonkeyStyle...those are some good ideas about asking them questions and drawing attention to them.  I had no doubt they were a team.  I was keyed in on the first guy right away and when he whistled, I almost laughed because it was so obvious when the other guy came around the corner.  I didn't feel overly threatened, I was confident, well prepared and had a good plan of action.

I didn't "whip out" the knife.  I very casually took it out of my left front pocket, where I always carry it with my left hand and cupped it in that same hand.  Nobody knew I had the knife in my hand, except the 2 guys knew I had something.  That type of behavior wouldn't be acceptable for an undercover cop.  I have good street smarts. 

If they would have been close enough for me to brandish my knife, he would never get the gun out in time.  There are law enforcement training films showing how a  man with a knife will usually be able to kill a policeman before he can draw and shoot, from 21 feet.

Gary Hughes 

Two words for you bro, NINJA SWORD!!!

Why did they pick on you and not the other 5 people in line?

fuegofighter and arachnoid are wrong and probably walk around with tunnel vision, looking at their feet.

I realized many years ago that no matter how tough you are, someone could take you out if you let them sneak up on you.  Increased awareness has saved me many times and allows me to be relaxed.  It takes practice.

without reading anyone else's responses, here's what I came up with:

I would signal my girlfriend (or wife) to drive away to a safe yet viseable distance with her cell phone in the ready position. (the vehicle would already be locked as my son and girlfriend are already trained to do so since i live in Oakland)

I would not use the ATM and walk towards the car (across the street , down th eblock, etc). If I was harassed or followed, my girlfriend would drive away and call 911 while I hand over my wallet of whatever they ask for (aside from ass).

Nice post by KidJustice.  I love that quote.

Good response also by FletchMonster.

Crazy Zimmerman...I don't know why they would pick me.  The only reason I can possibly think of is race.  I am in a minority in the city I live in.  I was the only white guy at the ATM.

Gary Hughes

I am very aware.. tunnel vision when it comes to my training and my job. but very aware of my surroundings.

Texas Thai...LOL, you were very fast.

"Id probably do some slow shadowboxing, to make it look like Im a genuine badass. Then Id look to see if there was a phone booth around."

LOL, I am guessing the next thing would be fighting them in the phone booth.

LOL also at Bluehall.

More seriously, I think (unless they were specifically after you, which they were not) they would find someone lese if you did draw attenition. Ask if he is waiting to use the ATM, then continue talking load.

MrZipplokk...if you hold the knife properly (Filipino Kali grip), the butt of the knife should push into the palm of your hand.  If you hold the knife primarily with the thumb and forefinger, you make a good point, no pun intended.  The thumb and forefinger will slip off the handle and give you a very nasty slice.  Blood is very slippery also, which make proper grip even more important.  The Emerson folder that I carry has serrations for the thumb and forefinger to grip.  I have a couple of knives that I like better, but they draw way too much attention.  Most people don't notice the tactical folder, I can carry it when I work also.  It also opens very quickly.

Gary Hughes 

I would take a deep breath and think back and realize that this exact scenario was discussed on MMA.tv while I was eating Cocoa Puffs in my underwear. Then I would remember all the good pointers my fellow underground forum buddies had stated. Now I would be relaxed because SPK said he got away unharmed by taking out his knife in his left pocket...oh no...I don't carry one! I would then have to improvise since I can't remember anyone else's posts. Staying calm, I would grab an old woman in front of me in line and place a rear naked choke on her holding it just tight enough so she doesn't get away or pass out. I would then tell everyone to stay calm and I just want to use the ATM and I'll be on my way. If one of the 2 guys decided to pull a gun or a knife I would use her as a body shield as I've seen many action heroes do so in the movies. Plus I don't know her and she's somewhat old already and probably has had many good years behind her. After using the ATM with no funny business on anyone's part I would proceed to choke the woman unconcious like Rickson Gracie on a Japanese pro wrestler. Letting her down easy I would run to my car and drive off to show everyone I mean no harm, I'm a nice guy and I just wanted to use the ATM without being F'ed with and I'd be on my way...

Okay...I got a little carried away. That was for entertainment. I'd love to hear others post entertaining ideas like the one up there..."shadowbox...look for a phone booth"

lol

If I felt really threatened(I probably wouldn't with this specific scenario) I would just leave and find another ATM as others have said. If I wasn't threatened then I'd proceed with a high awareness and that's really all one can do. Life is unpredictable...deal with it the best way you can.

Brian

LOL,

I was locked up in LA County jail,when this one guy decided to put his pillow case around his head to look like a Samurai Warrior and start shadow fighting on his bed.To make a long story short....guess who got punked for his shoes?

Norwegian Assassin...drawing attention might have worked.  The funny thing is, nobody knew what was going on, except me and the 2 suspects.  When I got back into the car and told my wife, she didn't believe me and thought I was paranoid.  I always trust my intuition.

"I would have loudly asked Suspect #1 "Hey man, do you know what time it is?"

And then before he gets a chance to answer, you whip off your sunglasses and say "Time to take out the trash, cholo!" and then go into a series of kata, puncuated with loud kiai and yee-haws. It would also help if you have a prearranged signal for your wife to roll down the windows and turn up the stereo, preferably playing "Danger Zone." Perhaps your children could join in the kata, if they're wearing their USA gis.

I think in a lot of potentially threatening situations if you start talking to the "possible threath" they will know that you know about them, and that you are not affraid (if you do hte talking right).

LMAO!! Oh shit, SDDRIVER hit it beautifully with the corny ACTION MOVIE dialogue from 80s.

THen after u wupp their ass. "Nice trip, see you next fall."